The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transient Response - One of my favorite subjects..... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

My only issue with Bruce’s original post might be this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Good transient response is especially important when recording acoustic instruments. This is one case where it’s extremely important for one to have equipment that is able to capture as much of the initial transient as possible, and all it’s accompanying delicate details.
I would say that “good transient response”, however that is defined, is equally important to ALL instruments, be they acoustic or electronic. Electronic instruments actually have the ability to generate much sharper transients than acoustic instruments can. Of course, we can’t have many preconceptions about synthetic sounds unless they happen to come from classic instruments. But squashing electronic transients can simply limit one’s sonic pallet and inhibit the exploration of new and interesting sounds. In the case of acoustic instruments, we do have many preconceptions. We know what these instruments sound like in real life. So squashing transients can rob acoustic music of its immediacy and naturalness.

Certainly everything should be on the table, at the complete discretion of the artists and/or engineers in accordance with their visions. But reflexively reaching for a compressor, just perhaps, might self-limit one’s own expression?

Just my thoughts.

Thomas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search