The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D-Command/X-Rack vs. AWS 900 Control Surfaces
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

D-Command/X-Rack vs. AWS 900

Which would you rather have and why?

24 fader D-Command $31,000
X-Rack(24 EQ's, 4 Comps(2 ch. of buss comp)) $28,000
X-Rack(32 channels of summing) $ 8,000
Custom Consoles Desk $ 4,000

Total = $71,000 ($61,000 with used D-Command)

OR

Used SSL AWS 900 (around $60,000 - $70,000)

One nice thing about the first system is you could change the ratio of comps to EQ's. Maybe go with 12 comps, 2 buss comps(hoping for this module by year endheh)), 14 EQ's.

One other interesting option in this budget range would be the following:

SSL X-Rack (24 EQ's, 24 Comps, 2 ch. of buss comps) $50,000
24 fader Procontrol used $ 6,000

Total = $68,000
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think you might have some more flexibility with the first setup. The AWS is nice, but no dynamics on each channel is kind of a downer. Did you see that new API console? That things gonna rock.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would definitely NOT get the AWS because for me it's neither fully a controller or fully a console. There are very limited dynamics.

I'd get the D Control or whatever it's called and rather than worry about all that summing stuff get more dynamics instead....or some other outboard flavours.

J
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post

OR

One nice thing about the first system is you could change the ratio of comps to EQ's. Maybe go with 12 comps, 2 buss comps(hoping for this module by year endheh)), 14 EQ's.

One other interesting option in this budget range would be the following:

SSL X-Rack (24 EQ's, 24 Comps, 2 ch. of buss comps) $50,000
24 fader Procontrol used $ 6,000

Total = $68,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
I would definitely NOT get the AWS because for me it's neither fully a controller or fully a console. There are very limited dynamics.

I'd get the D Control or whatever it's called and rather than worry about all that summing stuff get more dynamics instead....or some other outboard flavours.

J
I had a similar discussion with a friend. He was looking for a console/summing amp for his studio. What's funny is the Guy at Guitar Center quoted $100K on a new AWS and 70K for a demo. I found a gentlemen who will sell him a SSL 4040G+ with 8 brown, 32 black eq for, TOTAL RECALL AND ALL THE BELLS AND WISTLES FOR $50K. That's something to consider. 40 channels vs the 24 channel AWS, EQ and and i believe dynamics on each channel vs only 24 channels of EQ. If you can consider a large format console.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
I had a similar discussion with a friend. He was looking for a console/summing amp for his studio. What's funny is the Guy at Guitar Center quoted $100K on a new AWS and 70K for a demo. I found a gentlemen who will sell him a SSL 4040G+ with 8 brown, 32 black eq for, TOTAL RECALL AND ALL THE BELLS AND WISTLES FOR $50K. That's something to consider. 40 channels vs the 24 channel AWS, EQ and and i believe dynamics on each channel vs only 24 channels of EQ. If you can consider a large format console.
IMO, there are numerous problems with buying an older SSL.
You may pick one up for $50k, but you are also picking up a few other problems:
Most notably trying to find spare parts for a console SSL no longer supports.
Increased electricity bills probably between $300-$500 a month.
And last but not least, day to day maintenance.

Go with the D-Command. thumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses, anybody else?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hello, all. Newbie poster here, been lurking for a while.

bforest4 , I'm having a hard time choosing between these 2 myself.

I run a small post company , and have been working in the audio post biz for 15 years.
Right now, I'm using a Control24 with PT HD2Accel.

I know that the D-Command is an entirely different beast than the old C24, but really, I find the Control24 kinda useless. The only thing I really use on the Control 24: faders, mutes and solos, and the half-assed monitor section. Everything else I find is either poorly laid out, or is simply easier to grab the mouse and make EQ changes, or insert a comp plug in, or change routing, etc.
An AWS900 seems to make waaaay more sense to me, for that kind of investment ~$70k. I love the 'best of both worlds' concept. I would only ever use the faders, solos and mutes part of the controller, and mouse around everthing else anyway. The best part....I'd also have a flexible, extremely well built, extreme high end baby SSL with a great monitor section.

But, not willing to count out the D-Command entirely , I'm looking forward to going to the AES show in NY in a couple of months. Comparing these two will be the reason for the trip. You should try and do the same!

Cheers,
Neal Gaudet
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go with the D Command and X-Logic stuff...but before I'd do that I'd go with the D-Command but spread my outboard love between multiple partners.
Old 22nd August 2007
We just bought our first AWS900+ and that console is great, as mixer and as controller...
I would never ever sign a contract with my blood to Digidesign in the form of controller...

I spended years to get in to digital, but thanks to SSL I'm more in to analogue than ever.

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 22nd August 2007
Get the SSL & the SSL recordingsystem

Get the AWS & the belgium recordingssystem (soundscape) together (soundscape is now owned by SSL). Wich means support from one company..... WOW.

Digidesign may or may not survive the native processing DAW's with todays quads & dual quads.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

OR

I worked on all of the above and I would definitely go for D-Command + X-Rack option. That, in my opinion, is the best of both worlds. Today for that money you would probably get an S6 M10 - even better than D-Command, with 5 knobs per channel.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, old post!

Today, would get:

SSL Sigma $4,000
X Rack 8 stereo EQ's and 8 stereo comps $16,000 (But would probably sub in some Chandler, BAE, API, Neve)
X Rack 8 Black EQ's and 8 black Comps used $10,000
X Rack Buss Comp or Obsidian $2,000
Avid S6 M10 16 fader $30,000
Sterling Modular Desk $4,000

Total = $64,000
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, old post!

Today, would get:

SSL Sigma $4,000
X Rack 8 stereo EQ's and 8 stereo comps $16,000 (But would probably sub in some Chandler, BAE, API, Neve)
X Rack 8 Black EQ's and 8 black Comps used $10,000
X Rack Buss Comp or Obsidian $2,000
Avid S6 M10 16 fader $30,000
Sterling Modular Desk $4,000

Total = $64,000

That list looks good!
Old 17th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Get the AWS & the belgium recordingssystem (soundscape) together (soundscape is now owned by SSL). Wich means support from one company..... WOW.

Digidesign may or may not survive the native processing DAW's with todays quads & dual quads.
Hindsight is a splendid thing..with all the recent speculation about Avid, the worry they might not survive has been going in some people's minds for 8-10 years...I've done a lot of work on Pro Tools in that time!

Meanwhile soundscape is still going...but I've never seen a system in the flesh.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

No one can really answer this but you based on two important factors.

First- one is pretty much a digital domain and the other an analog domain. I worked on a C24 for several years with a ton of outboard using my I/O as inserts. But I found not having an analog workflow and 2-buss frustrating because I work on music. Which leads to the second factor- what kind of work do you do. For post work, having a D command and working ITB is the way to go. For music? You have to decide how you want to work.

Irregardless of what happens to avid, the D command will have a low resale value compared to analog hardware. I bought my AWS used for $35k and feel pretty confident I can get it back if I sell it. Meanwhile vintage king has a D command listed for $6k. Maybe you should buy a used D command instead of a new one? There's not much that can go wrong with them since they're controllers.

And to the poster who mentioned not having full control with the AWS- what is missing? Just curious.

Good luck
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

I just noticed someone bumped this from 7 years ago. I think they probably made their decision by now
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hindsight is indeed 20/20 though now, I would look at an AWS-948 and an X-Rack plus 10 Slot Lunchbox of Dynamics and precious equalisers to just make up that extra 95%, controllers while great are exactly that, worth nothing even 18 months after purchase, hardware maintains some value....? A full boat SSLE/G+ etc will be a bottomless pit of trouble and worry.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

I would get a used AWS900 in a heartbeat (if I had the money ;-) ).
I do not need comps on every channel. I have my favourite hardware outboard for important elements and for the rest, I am perfectly happy with setting up some ITB comps. Having 24 channels of moving faders, solid eq and some FX sends for my main reverbs is what does it for me come mixing.

For tracking, an analogue desk is a no brainer.
Until I get the money, I'll do fine with my D&R Orion and can continue to work around having no analogue autiomation...

Regards,
Dirk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search