The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer vs Neve, API etc Consoles
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Studer vs Neve, API etc

how does the Studer (189?) console pres and eq's and comps compare to the bigger classic brands such as Neve and API? Is there a weekness when comparing?
I have a feeling that the sonic qualities and built quality is really up there in that league - just without the hype thing...
cause it seems to be way cheaper...
what do you think?
Old 18th August 2007
ssssshhh tutt
LOL
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
how does the Studer (189?) console pres and eq's and comps compare to the bigger classic brands such as Neve and API? Is there a weekness when comparing?
I have a feeling that the sonic qualities and built quality is really up there in that league - just without the hype thing...
cause it seems to be way cheaper...
what do you think?
All 3 that you have mentioned is super great preamps. Neve is nice and warm while API has that great mid punch which i think is best for drums but will work ok on anything, Studer is a different animal, the sonic qualities of it just down right cuts, my favorite is vocals, it sits well in the mix, the thing with Studer you have to find the right combo mic that works the best with what you or doing or what instrument that you are tracking. Its one of the only preamps i know that can do a 360 change by just changing out a mic. Did i forget to mention that the eq in those preamps are the signature of it as well. 189/089 or some of the best, the 169 are a little sterile.
ps: i have not heard the compressors.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
ssssshhh tutt
LOL
hehhehheh
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Where do you find Studer preamps???
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

You put a scope on e.b.a.y and watch look and listen. Sometimes a google search might lead you to some of that stuff.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

ok, thanks guys!
so what you say is that these are just as great as the famed Neve and API, just different sounding animal, but quality is up there...?

The eq's on the 189/089 looks really strange tho... not just pots but also some faders you can pull.......

it's like they designed these consoles in a really untraditional way.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

The smaller Studer consoles were pretty much standard in broadcasting in Europe. So there are lots of consoles around that are configured in ways that are not the first choice for a music studio.

Also the eq and routing needs might have been quite different and so on.

However, beeing broadcast standard desks for a long time tells something about the quality and reliability. No complaints there.

The studers I have heard have all sounded very good. Not neve or api, something else but good nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind having a 900 series myself.

I would look for Studers in Europe.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I see you're in Denmark.., never mind that last comment then...
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
The smaller Studer consoles were pretty much standard in broadcasting in Europe. So there are lots of consoles around that are configured in ways that are not the first choice for a music studio.

Also the eq and routing needs might have been quite different and so on.

However, beeing broadcast standard desks for a long time tells something about the quality and reliability. No complaints there.

The studers I have heard have all sounded very good. Not neve or api, something else but good nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind having a 900 series myself.

I would look for Studers in Europe.
Thanks Gainreduction
Do you know if there is a difference between the modules of a Studer 9000 series and the smaller 189 or 089 consoles. Would the 9000 be "better" pres and eq's ?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi,

About the 089 atleast, i would say the eq are more pre-traditional than untraditional, if you see my point.

It's got a 2,4 and 6 dB boost or cut at 8kHz and 80Hz.
Plus an additive only high-mid, selectable between 1,5, 2,2, 3 and 4,4 kHz.

This EQ can't save if there is something wrong with your recording.
It can only do some broad "sweetening" strokes, and are really good at that.

They are truly high end mixers, not very flexible, but in a DAW world, more or less perfect.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't remember exactly what the 189 eq looks like, but it's one of the small boards, right ? With the micpre in the "meterbridge position" ?

Then probably yes.

The 900-desks are Studers larger format desks and the eq is 4 band with HPF and LPF. In general more of a music desk IMO.

The small Studer desks I've used have all been 3-band eq's.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Here's a link to pic of the 900-series eq module:

http://www.vintagetools.de/Bilder/Studer/Studer_EQ.jpg
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I can't remember exactly what the 189 eq looks like, but it's one of the small boards, right ? With the micpre in the "meterbridge position" ?

Then probably yes.

The 900-desks are Studers larger format desks and the eq is 4 band with HPF and LPF. In general more of a music desk IMO.

The small Studer desks I've used have all been 3-band eq's.
The 089 and the 189 has the same modules. The 089 is 12 channel (in a A-80 frame btw.) The 169 are a newer version, not quite as cool, but still discrete.
The 900-series are even 5-10 years more modern, and as far as i know non-discrete.

The 089/189 are great music desks, they just can't help you get rid of that 300Hz bump you got by placing the mic too close to the snare drum head.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

does anyone know if there are direct outs on each channel on the Studer 189 console? (for pro tools patching...)
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

There are inserts.

Which are Post-fader and EQ.

When I record trough those modules on the mixer, I use that one, it's at -10 unbalanced, but keep the cable run short to the recorder and there will be no problem.

I Have 8 dedicated inputs from the studer inserts on the recorder.

Easy
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
189/089 or some of the best, the 169 are a little sterile.
!!!! 169 pres may be many things, but never sterile ... best pre on drums I've ever been able to find/try, and I would more than happily track everything through my 169.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
!!!! 169 pres may be many things, but never sterile ... best pre on drums I've ever been able to find/try, and I would more than happily track everything through my 169.
Agreed, I have a 169 and it is def. not sterile. I think you mean the 96x series, some say they are a bit brittle because the're IC-based. I don't know, never heard a 961 or 962 in a studio.

Henk
Old 16th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjimjim View Post
There are inserts.

Which are Post-fader and EQ.

When I record trough those modules on the mixer, I use that one, it's at -10 unbalanced, but keep the cable run short to the recorder and there will be no problem.

I Have 8 dedicated inputs from the studer inserts on the recorder.

Easy
Just out of curiosity... what would you consider 'short' for the unbalanced cable run from the insert (direct) out to the recorder? I suppose it's somewhat dependent on the location as interference will vary, but what's a good starting point to try? 15 feet? More? Less?
Old 16th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Well, mine are exactly 15 feet.
It's simply an unbalanced signal, so think of it the same way as a guitar cable.

15 feet is just alright, 20 feet is too much.

Anyhow, we shouldn't hype these mixers to much.
They can be as good sounding as a neve or api, but they aren't as flexible, they aren't as widespread, and frankly, while they are amazing.
I would take a modern Neve 1073 over the 089/189 pre anyday 10 times over.

Hype Ends.
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

Studer's goal was always to build a neutral mic amp that only amplified the sound. It was not made to add character to the input signal. Most Studer consoles were used for classical music recording and broadcast.

Neutral and less character is certainly NOT the case with Neve and API.

Earlier Studer boards such as 089 and 169 have transformers everywhere which gives a subtle sweet sound.

Other than that, it is straight ahead sound with well built modules.

When I compared to our Neve, we sold all our Studer consoles.
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

Earlier Studer boards such as 089 and 169 have transformers everywhere which gives a subtle sweet sound.
Which Studer consoles did you have?
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

We have had Studer 089, 169 and 962 here.

As far as sound is concerned all were good, with the 089 being, in my opinion, clearly
the best.

Studer makes an excellent console in all formats.
Old 28th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Studer's goal was always to build a neutral mic amp that only amplified the sound. It was not made to add character to the input signal. Most Studer consoles were used for classical music recording and broadcast.

Neutral and less character is certainly NOT the case with Neve and API.

Other than that, it is straight ahead sound with well built modules.

I agree completly..

besides the "when we compared to NEVE"

but that's maybe because I own and sell a lot of studermodules.

what kind of neve do you own?
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

what would be a good small Neve console that could replace a 089?
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

just thought I'd bring this thread back to life since I have a question! I've done some searching, but none that answer my question...

The Studer 169 has unbalanced outs, but I've found a 169 that has been modded to have 10 balanced direct outs. It is going for 5k. Is this insanely expensive?

Now I can think of alot of things to spend 5k on, since my setup is quite small in this early stage...but something about having a small console like this sounds awesome. Should I spend my on something else first?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Disregard my last thread! Used my noodle and realized there are way more useful and cooler things to spend 5k on! Won't be getting it...
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Guru

Older thread but never to late to add to it for sure.
While I have owned a pair of 089s for many years and used them on vocals, bass, non electric guitars and OHs, they always end up being dope.
I just started using a 089 on the snare, WOW, not only does it cut nice it also has a nice round warm sound to go with it, now it is not as big as API in the mids but makes up on other freqs.
What a nice alternative to rely on, all these years and never knew a 089 sounded that well on a snare, being a broadcast module it is still fast enough.
Just might try the kick next.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

Resurrecting because GS is an archive and reference just as much as a current discussion forum.

I've now had a 169 for a year and would like to contribute the following:

The preamps easily hold their own alongside V72, 1073, etc. They have a very extended top end for a vintage pre, even more than the Telefunken V376, which I think accounts for them being perceived as boring or thin by some, because they are hifi and they don't accentuate bass. However, the desk as a whole is perfect for getting the best from external preamps, because it is hifi enough to accurately present their character.

After a year's use, it is obvious why the 169 was popular with classical engineers.

Lots has already been written about the excellent EQ (n.b., I measure the Q as being about 1 for mids). I have to say, though, that I almost never use the buss limiters, which are pretty useless for anything with drums.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

Also been using the studer 169 for about one year.
I've used it for tracking mostly. It's such a nice board. Most of artists recording here express joy with the sound. I would say it's just nice and and organic sound. Use it with good dynamics and you get a punchy sound wich feels a bit more than real.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search