The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which console? Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: which console for new studio (read text!)
Harrison 4032
10 Votes - 40.00%
D&R ORION
7 Votes - 28.00%
Raindirk Symphony LN-1
8 Votes - 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

which console?

I have to deiced between these 3 consoles, I have to do it quick as it goes to a new studio, opening on jan 2008.
the new studio has a long list of high-end compressor (3x33609, fairman, 4x daking for example) and mics (2x u47, c24, m49 and many more) but at the time no outboard pres or eq (except 2x 1073, 3x 560, 3x 550B) so the pre/eq of the console is important.
I will not have time/possibility to have a real world experience on those console (except technical check out) so i am really looking for your opinion on this.

1. old Harrison 4032, full patchbay, vca automation, all looms needed. 5000$ BUT in a bad condition, it works and still can sound great but need a full recap, many switches swap, psu check and cleaning. I assume I can get it in great condition investing another 5-7000$ in it. does it worth it? will it be ready before december?
2.D&R Orion ,great condition, full patchbay and all multicores included. 32ch inline. vca automation. 8000$. it comes from a friends studio I worked on it a lot and find it great but very clean-ish. if we get it we will still have 3-5000$ for outboard pres/eqs though.
3.Raindirk Symphony LN-1. Console is in very good condition (not recapped but from 1994 i think) 24ch inline full PB and multicores, no automation. 12,000$
I never worked on this console neither any other raindirk so i am really looking for opinion on this, while doing search names like neve and helios poped-up so i am really curios.
thanks for the help.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear
All I can say is that the Symphony is a compact desk with a very high reputation. It is one of the best for location-mobile work and is almost favored by many artists.

C. Jones still provides tech support for these desks and they are easy to work on. It is one of the World's great desks.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I never worked on the raindirk but i own an orion and worked on 4032.
from all three it looks like the d&r is your best deal, 4032 is great but might be a lot to work on to make it run.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Working on a Harrison 32 series right now, and soon receiving another one. Don't think even another $7000 will get you the console you need by January. If you want it to be perfect.

New caps and chips is the easy part, curing Molexia and some other issues is another thing. All worth it if you ask me, but buying one in bad shape is probably not a great idea. As lowswing said, lot's of work.

Maybe you can PM me the contact to the seller, I could use some more spare parts... ;-)

Martin
Old 18th August 2007
Harmless Wacko

Raindirk Symphony series is the best kept LFAC secret in the world.

An amazing desk for short money.

Clean as a whistle sound. Great layout. Great functionality.

Just a great desk period.

No brainer.

SM.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

difficult since the Raindirk is only 24 channels ...
The Orion is a very fine desk - very neutral - nice routing stuff in there too
the Harrison might sound wonderful if you get it on spec but $$$

Jo
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
Clearmountain mixed a couple of the Rolling Stones latest concert DVDs on a Raindirk Symphony. It is a desk that is considered to be as good or better than the best Neves, SSLs or Ameks of the period.

Although they are no doubt fine desks, I cannot imagine a producer or artist INSISTING on a D&R or a Harrison, but some people do insist on a Symphony.

One thing's for sure, you won't need to budget for extra EQs or mic pres (unless of course you need something LESS good than the desk!)
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

All gear consoles but the Raindirk gets my vote.

Best bang for the buck and you still get access to original builder!

Helios
Old 2nd September 2007
I would look around for an Amek Angela II. Sound great, run stable. I've got a line on a couple in that price point.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

there's a guy in the FOR SALE section who has a TRIDENT board for $8,000. Check that out. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE BOARD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search