The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your mixdown chain? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

What is your mixdown chain FROM your DAW out to your final mix

I know there was a thread like this started a while back. I searched and searched and couldn't find it. So here we go again!

What OUTBOARD gear are you using between the DAW and the final mix destination?

Last edited by Parisongs; 21st August 2007 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Title not specific enough
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Tappe machine or RADAR to console tape-ins, Drawmer '69 on the mix buss to 1/4" and 2 channels of RADAR.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Often---Console->Smart C2->MassPass->1/2"->Back to PTHD
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nuendo with URS/Waves and other misc plugs -Neotek console bussed to misc hardware Comps/Limiters----2 buss is Smart C2 comp-Avalon 747 EComp/EQ - Massive Passive EQ to An Apogee AD 16 To a Masterlink via AES at 96K.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest studio
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nuendo/Cubase via 3x Rosetta 800's to a Soundcraft Sapphyre. G-SSL clone on the mixbuss to a Studer A810 or back into the DAW.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Radar Super Nyquist outs to console line ins to either...

ADl 670, SSL Logic 384, Shadow Hills MC, Manley Slam with Massive Passive, to Crane Song Hedd Convertor if I'm mixing PCM...
If not, then out from one of the Comps, to the Genex 9048 recording in DSD...
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

PTHD3 (192+AD8000SE)--->Mixdream--->Summit EQP200--->Manley Vari-Mu--->back into AD8000SE
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Nuendo/Cubase via 3x Rosetta 800's to a Soundcraft Sapphyre. G-SSL clone on the mixbuss to a Studer A810 or back into the DAW.
I've got the G-SSL Clone too. Sometimes it can kick a$$ on the mix buss... especially for rock stuff. Was yours made by Flynn?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
I've got the G-SSL Clone too. Sometimes it can kick a$$ on the mix buss... especially for rock stuff. Was yours made by Flynn?
Yeah mine is nice for rock stuff too and that's what I seem to record 90% of the time. A friend of mine built it for me.

He worked for SSL for years servicing their consoles and even had some original NOS DBX VCA's as used in the SSL384!
Old 19th August 2007
Mixing source is an Alesis HD24XR and associated outboard dac's like BB1704, BB1792, Crystal 4398.
This feeds analog into the Soundcraft Delta via Kimber PBJ or AGSS wire. The console out's use a pair of Kimber AGSS silver cable into a custom Crystal CS5396 ADC. This is coupled with silver foil/paper in oil caps into Class A biased very fast opamps to the converter chip. The converter is programed to noise shape 24 bits to 16 bits at 44.1k. This feeds the computer with another Kimber AGSS cable used for s/pdif into the Hammerfall 9652 card. I avoid any bit reduction schemes or dither in the computer as I've never found any that work without sucking out the top end details and air. It's 16 bits from the converter and all the way to the CD burn although it's treated as it is 24 bits.

This is the only way I can retain the sound I get out of the console.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

RME Toslink @96k>Apogee DA-16x>Tonelux console w/ TX EQs and various FET, VCA and opto compressors>Korg MR-1000 @5.6MHz DSD. Sometimes a Drawmer 1968 in parallel on the mix bus.

Cubase is the recording SW. No plugins. No digital gain changes. What goes in comes out untouched in the digital domain other than some minor cut and paste editing. I'd like to switch to Radar at some point.
Old 19th August 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Otari 2" tape machine into Neotek console >Korg MR-1000 @5.6MHz DSD.

Will use Summit DCL-200 on 2 buss if needed.

I am really enjoying the Korg unit.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

most common chain:

Logic (via FF800) -> API 2500 -> Culture Vulture MV -> API 5500 -> back into Logic

(2500 is sometimes subbed for SSL Duende bus compressor plug)
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

i was going to mention my chain...but it's just way too ghetto for this thread
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

PTHD (DA16x)---Mixdream--API 2500----Rosetta 800 (PTHD) if I'm mixing ITB (well...no console)

PTHD--Console---Console Comp---PTHD or Tape project permitting.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nuendo>48 channels of Lynx Aurora>Amek Mozart console with all RN channels>API 5500 EQ>Smart C1>UA 2192>RME FF-400(Spdif)>2nd Computer>Wavelab

The only thing I want to add to this is a Crane Song HEDD between the 2192 and the FF-400's spdif input for the warming features.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

For music stuff, often it's PTHD> Console >Manley Stereo Pultec> Cranesong Trakkers linked> PTHD. For ad stuff, when it's ITB, then everything's off the table. I listen to the plgugs I have and use the ones that work.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

At the moment my mixdown chain is pretty much Neve 33609/c UAD-UAD EQ-UAD limiter-Logic i may switch the eq around with the compressor depending on the material.
I'm hoping to add some hardware as soon as i can afford

BayBud
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
i was going to mention my chain...but it's just way too ghetto for this thread
Does yours include a Radio Shack cassette recorder too?????
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

AES/EBU out of 192 I/O to Apogee PSX100SE>D/A chain goes to Variable-Mu>Avalon 747sp(mainly for EQ)>back to Apogee A/D chain and the signal goes back digitally to PT.
Nothing esoteric. Just doing the best that I can :-)

Cheers
KJ
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Prism DA-2 - The Phoenix (with a SC hi-pass mod)-Massive passive- stc 8 - Prism ADA-8 Into PT @ 96/24, I always try different order Or bypass, but this chain is the one I've been using for a while.
Sometime the C1 is in the chain, ADL 670 is new so I'm still trying where and how I like it ...
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm not going to have a console to mixdown with but I'm sure interested in the master 2 buss chain out to whatever processes. I guess I'm leaning toward mixing ITB and then going OTB with the 2buss to a typical compressor like a C2 or a Dramastic Obsidian(nod to Fletcher) followed by either a Pendulum es8 or an Atomic Squeeze Box and then a Cranesong Hedd into a master recorder of some type- masterlink or the new Korg. Comments? Suggestions? I know something's wonky on my chain idea- let me have it.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Nuendo - Apogee Rosetta 800 - Oram BEQ 8 - Aphex Compellor 320A - Sphere Graphic (rarely used) - Ros 800 back to Nuendo & Sound Forge.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
PT HD out via Lynx Aurora - Amek BC3 console with RN modules - mix bus (Portico 5012 & 5043) - Back into PT via Lynx Aurora.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase/Nuendo --> Mytek 8x192 DA --> Evidence Audio Lyric cable --> GSSL with Cinemag output iron, Black Gate coupling caps, high speed opamps --> Evidence Audio Lyric cable --> Mytek 8x192 AD --> Cubase/Nuendo

As soon as find time to build myself a nice EQ I'll stick that in the chain as well.

Brad
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

big ben clock apogee ad and da16's
Nuendo and mci 16 track 2" locked with timelock pro into console tape ins
2 mix out into Ibis most of the time or inward connections deq-2 or massive into stc-8 or ear 660's or smart c2 or zenor would love to hear the obsidean
into hedd at 44.1 back into nuendo at 44.1/32bit or studer a80 1/2"
waiting for shadow hills ms on order

NJ Studio Sound Spa
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

If I told you that, I'd have to liquidate you.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

I changed the title and made the query more specific this time.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Lately I've been enjoying doing everything ITB.....maybe I'm getting lazy or maybe I'm just liking the instant recall of plugins. Never thought I'd say that ITB was for me, but since I bought a whole lot of McDSP plugins like Channel G and ML4000 it's all I seem to use as far as EQ and comps. I'll probaby get back to my outboard, like I have 1176's, Distressors, API 525's, LA3A's................no....... I think I'm just getting lazy.

nIC
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Heh, Nic I guarantee you'll get back to your outboard, I'm lovin those API's you lent me, much clearer than I thought they would be and boy do they compress, tried em on vox, bass, synth pads (superb for the pads) and they were great. Gotta get a pair someday.

My mix down chain these days is Buzz soc into avalon ad2055 eq into smart C2 then sometimes into pendulum es8 into apogee rosetta 200 converters.

works for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search