The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman TM1 vs Peluso 2247 LE??? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2007
Pearlman TM1 vs Peluso 2247 LE???

Ive looked through the threads but this most obvious of questions is not answred to anyone's satisaction.

I've got a Wagner u47 on order coz when I heard a straight sample it just breathed life into the vocals. That myriad of overtone textures is ideal 4 Indian classical vocals.

But I need one more mic - a budget version. The pearlman and the peluso seem to be the contenders. So how do they compare to your ears?? I heard the recent wunder and peluso shootout by John. the peluso convinced me more (for indian classcal) because of its overall musicaity.

should the pearlman have a little extra substance in the mids while retaining the airy overtones, well that would swing it.

much appreciated

ps chain = mic > v72 >Prisim orpheus > logic

Last edited by soundseeker; 19th August 2007 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: make it more punchy
Old 18th August 2007
Deleted User
I too was debating and just finally pulled the trigger on the Pearlman TM1.
Dave is a great guy and the mic sounds AWESOME to me. I dont have a comparison for ya but from this angle Im very satisfied with it.
I dont think you could go wrong with either one personally. I think Johns vox sounds great on the Peluso. My decision was MOST difficult. That said, I would love to have the Peluso 2247LE and the P12heh they both sound real good, thats the problem!! Im looking at a pre with more color to it to give the mic a little edge as the Avalon 737sp is squeaky clean
Old 19th August 2007
thanks shanabit. what made you decide on the pearlman.

What ever it s niether of us are any the wiser on the comparison. This post has had a lot of views but no answers.

SOMEONE whos tried both please have the balls to answer

sali
Old 19th August 2007
Deleted User
Actually I listened to EVERY audio clip I could find and ALL the reviews.
I talked with James Lugo about his and it kinda tipped the scale. It was a blind purchase basically so I was sweating it. Little more in the that little sumpin sumpin from everyones reviews. THere are a ton of threads on the Pearlman and Peluso
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hopefully I'm not hijacking here....

How about the TM-1 vs the Lawson L47mp? Anyone hear the two?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I had both the Pearlman TM1 and a friends Peluso 2247 LE here at the studio for a few days about 1 1/2-2 years back.....both mics sounded very nice but felt the Pearlman had some extra mojo to it......I bought the Pearlman and Have used it on many records with great results....Dave is wonderful to deal with and a great guy!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 20th August 2007

The difference in sound is not as much as some might lead you to believe...

I don't think the TM-1's that I have had come through here had any more mojo than the 47 LE's or vice versa..... they both sound great, it's the features that set them apart.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Yep, that's right, ONLY Tony knows what he's talking about. Don't listen to anyone else, they have inferior ears. dfegad
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
Yep, that's right, ONLY Tony knows what he's talking about. Don't listen to anyone else, they have inferior ears. dfegad
That's not what Tony stated, I believe???
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't think the TM-1's that I have had come through here had any more mojo than the 47 LE's or vice versa..... they both sound great, it's the features that set them apart.
Im actually looking at getting a 47 LE at the moment... What are the MOST IMPORTANT features that the TM-1's have that set them apart from the 47 LE's?
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Im actually looking at getting a 47 LE at the moment... What are the MOST IMPORTANT features that the TM-1's have that set them apart from the 47 LE's?
The features that the TM-1 have going for it is they are handwired and include the Hi-Cut switch... The Peluso 47 LE has the better looks and more polar patterns.

They use the same capsule, tube, mic body, etc.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The features that the TM-1 have going for it is they are handwired and include the Hi-Cut switch... The Peluso 47 LE has the better looks and more polar patterns.

They use the same capsule, tube, mic body, etc.

I think the TM-1 looks better, but that's just me. I love the mat black finish.

Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
I think the TM-1 looks better, but that's just me. I love the mat black finish.

I can see where you could, it's a personal preference...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can see where you could, it's a personal preference...
Thats my point.

Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

And what about the Soundelux??? is more expensive...but really is much better?? I would like the opinions about the Soundelux version against the Peluso/Pearlman!
Old 21st August 2007
GUYS !!!!

Can we get back on track here.

Assuming were going to SING or play, instead of whack off into the mic (regardless of the aforesaid mentioned interracial fantasies), forget how it looks.

How do you guys rank the Peluso, Pearlman and Lawson u47 clones (thanks Spider for reminding us bout the Lawson).

Make it simple. Rank the mic and put a comment about its sound (according to your experience) beside it.

All other anecdotes concerning taste and the lack of others' is pretty useless in this thread.

sorry if I yelled
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Take it easy man. Let the thread develop it's own way. That's the beauty of comunication.

I bought a TM-1 without listening to it, just trusting my gearslutz pals, and I'm incredibly happy with it. The capsule is the biggest part of the sound. If they share the same (Peluso and Pearlman), then they have the same taste.

The nice thing about the Pearlman is that you can ask Dave to make you one that suits your own needs. You are waiting for him to make your mic! That's sweet.
Old 22nd August 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I had the Peloso LE mic. Then I had the Pearlman with an ef86 tube and Peluso capsule. The Pearlman is smoother and sweeter than the Peluso. I also thought less grainy. Then I had the Pearlman modified with the Neumann capsules and trannies. Still like the Pearlman better than the Peluso.

It depends what you want.

I know Dave Pearlman will make the mic to suit and his service is FAST and top notch. However, Peluso's service is great as well.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Then I had the Pearlman modified with the Neumann capsules and trannies.
What's that? Who did it? and, How does it sound?
Old 22nd August 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Dave Pearlman does the mod to his own mics. I assume this is now one of the choices when you buy one at the start. Just another reason why it is difficult to compare Dave's mics with others, because there are so many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
What's that? Who did it? and, How does it sound?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Dave Pearlman does the mod to his own mics. I assume this is now one of the choices when you buy one at the start. Just another reason why it is difficult to compare Dave's mics with others, because there are so many variables.
What...just that?
C'mon give me more!
Old 22nd August 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Dave Pearlman is a guy you can trust. I would advise talking to him about the sound differences. I like the mod, but I also liked it un-modded. But since I do not have the un-modded mic to compare with the modded mic, I am a little reluctant to influence anyone's purchase decision.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I've never used the Peluso so this is a Frivilous post but I just want to add that I have a TM 1 with a VF14 tube and cinemag transformer. Dave offers amazing service to his customers and I love the mic overall, especially the high cut feature which adds/subtracts a TON of top end. I'm still experimenting but I've used it on everything from a mono room mic for drums, to acoustic guitar, to a whole slew of different vocalists. It sounds good on everything and amazing on some things...most notably a Peter Gabriel sounding male vocal I did recently with the following chain - TM1>Pacifica>MC77>UA 2192
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
I've never used the Peluso so this is a Frivilous post but I just want to add that I have a TM 1 with a VF14 tube and cinemag transformer. Dave offers amazing service to his customers and I love the mic overall, especially the high cut feature which adds/subtracts a TON of top end. I'm still experimenting but I've used it on everything from a mono room mic for drums, to acoustic guitar, to a whole slew of different vocalists. It sounds good on everything and amazing on some things...most notably a Peter Gabriel sounding male vocal I did recently with the following chain - TM1>Pacifica>MC77>UA 2192
You sure it's a VF-14?
Old 22nd August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Gutz View Post
You sure it's a VF-14?
It can't be... it has to be an EF14.
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Nut

bumpety bump bump
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I second that "no two Pearlmans are exactly alike" which really undermines any A/B comparisons.

I just picked up a Pearlman TM1 from Ebay. I asked Dave about it's design and here's what he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pearlman, via email
That's # 218 with an EF14 tube, Tamura tranny and special design capsule. It's a nice mic and I probably wouldn't change anything on it. According to the records I used a beta k47 type capsule in that mic. I'd have to see it to be sure but I think that's what's in that mic.
I did a search but couldn't find much info on the cap or tranny. Anyone have more info?

Either way I love it so far. I do love that hi-cut switch! Very nice.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salisiva View Post
GUYS !!!!

Can we get back on track here.

Assuming were going to SING or play, instead of whack off into the mic (regardless of the aforesaid mentioned interracial fantasies), forget how it looks.

How do you guys rank the Peluso, Pearlman and Lawson u47 clones (thanks Spider for reminding us bout the Lawson).

Make it simple. Rank the mic and put a comment about its sound (according to your experience) beside it.

All other anecdotes concerning taste and the lack of others' is pretty useless in this thread.

sorry if I yelled
i like the Pearlman cause its more the size of my weenie
Old 8th November 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat+ac30 View Post
I second that "no two Pearlmans are exactly alike" which really undermines any A/B comparisons.

I just picked up a Pearlman TM1 from Ebay. I asked Dave about it's design and here's what he said:I did a search but couldn't find much info on the cap or tranny. Anyone have more info?

Either way I love it so far. I do love that hi-cut switch! Very nice.
That is the transformer the Peluso uses in the 47 LE.... it's a great transformer.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Another huge vote for the Lawson thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search