The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking over going High End and upgrading ... Digital Converters
Old 24th July 2008
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalek View Post
Yes as a matter of fact i did. I think Digidesign is a bull**** monopoly. You pay a ton of money for what? limitless recording? Unfortunately i have it in my studio because its become such an ugly standard, i probably couldnt get clients in here if i didnt have it.
I agree and I would add that Digidesign gear is embarrassingly crappy...especially for an industry standard...I'm not sure about not being creative because you own protools or use plug ins...I think that statement is ridiculous.

Nick
Old 24th July 2008
  #32
The Focusrite ISA 428 should be knocked off your list. Unbelievably mediocre preamp.
Old 24th July 2008
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
Crankitup's Avatar
 

Get cubase or nuendo and 2 api 3124's. You can get an Mbox Micro if you need to edit in protools. You'll get just as much 'HD' out of steinberg, really
Old 24th July 2008
  #34
Lives for gear
 
smartalek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
I agree and I would add that Digidesign gear is embarrassingly crappy...especially for an industry standard...I'm not sure about not being creative because you own protools or use plug ins...I think that statement is ridiculous.

Nick

No Nick, its not ridiculous. I'll admit im not some world class engineer, but then again, i wouldnt want to be, judging by what i hear these dudes put out. It has all come down to plugin this, auto tune this, compress the **** out of that, and give me more volume. Meanwhile the band is out back jerking off. Its pathetic, everything sounds the same, people mix with their eye's and not with their ears.

Garbage i tell you. Garbage!
Old 24th July 2008
  #35
Gear Addict
 

I agree with everyone about waiting on HD, I think your much better off (and that's probably because what I'm planning on doing) get rid of the 002 get an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge and Pro Tools Mpowered, get the Lynx Aurora (maybe a big ben too) This way you can get rid of all the digi converters, and use up to 18i/o of awesome converters, while you build up more outboard gear before jumping to HD.
Old 25th July 2008
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalek View Post
No Nick, its not ridiculous. I'll admit im not some world class engineer, but then again, i wouldnt want to be, judging by what i hear these dudes put out. It has all come down to plugin this, auto tune this, compress the **** out of that, and give me more volume. Meanwhile the band is out back jerking off. Its pathetic, everything sounds the same, people mix with their eye's and not with their ears.

Garbage i tell you. Garbage!
OK Settle down...yes there is a trend..I agree...but there are a lot of fantastic engineers doing great work and they have learned to make PT work for them...a good engineer makes whatever tools are available work for them.
Old 25th July 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
Sorry for hijacking this thread but since you guys are already on the protools topic I thought I'd ask here.....
I currently record on 2" 24trk at my studio. I have a ton of outboard gear and I have a ton of mics and I do pretty damn good recordings according to my clients. I've never recorded on Pro tools but I think it's time that I learn it........ Now here's my question... My brother just bought a G5 and got Pro Tools LE. If I record on the LE system would my recordings sound wack? Now I know It's not gonna sound like my mighty Otari MTR 90 but will I hear a noticible difference? Would adding some quality converters to the pic be any better?
Old 25th July 2008
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76 View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread but since you guys are already on the protools topic I thought I'd ask here.....
I currently record on 2" 24trk at my studio. I have a ton of outboard gear and I have a ton of mics and I do pretty damn good recordings according to my clients. I've never recorded on Pro tools but I think it's time that I learn it........ Now here's my question... My brother just bought a G5 and got Pro Tools LE. If I record on the LE system would my recordings sound wack? Now I know It's not gonna sound like my mighty Otari MTR 90 but will I hear a noticible difference? Would adding some quality converters to the pic be any better?
Tape and digital are completely different animals. If you're going to Pro Tools you'll have to un-learn a few things like:

1. Don't hit the inputs hard on Pro Tools. With tape there is a benefit to it, with Pro Tools you just get digital distortion (and there's nothing pleasant about digital distortion).
2. With tape you have to EQ the highs a little hotter going in because you're going to lose some. Don't do that with PT or any other DAW.
3. There's no rewind. That may sound like a really inane point to bring up, but if you're used to doing something during rewinds (adjusting gear, talking to clients, etc.) you're going to feel weird that there aren't any.
4. Learn how to comp on your DAW right away. You could do it the same way as tape (multiple tracks with mute buttons) but most DAWs have a better way.
5. If you're not using Pro Tools HD, you should IMMEDIATELY figure out how to address the latency issue. Since I'm not afraid to use a lot of outboard while tracking, I just use the hardware monitoring feature on my interface and turn down all the faders on the DAW.

I'm sure there's more but that's what comes to mind.
Old 28th July 2008
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalek View Post
Nick,

All im trying to say, and maybe i went off on a tangent, (i like tangents) Is that what pro tools has done is take the pressure off the artist and put it more on the engineer. It allows the artist to not have to be as precise, or really even know what the hell he is doing. Sure its allowed new and inventive ways to record, but the overall quality of an artist, has diminished. Not in every occasion, but definitely most of the time.

Trust me, im a drummer, ive toured with alot of these bands, ive heard their records, ive seen them play, half of them are even using pro tools live and its all just a bunch of straight up garbage. They're basically just marionettes.

However, i disagree STRONGLY with you. An engineer doesnt need "tools" that are available to them. They should focus on capturing a band as they would naturally play, in a room, together. So as the bands get crappier and cant really plao to begin with, then they do need tools, to polish their turds.
I see your point, but you are incorrect....we do need tools (I mean like a hammer, chisel, pre amp, eq, mic etc...not nec. Pro tools..) to work... a carpenter can't build a wall without tools...you can't groove without sticks or brushes or whatever.....really what are you saying? BTW I agree with artists being lazy these days......I love that you're angry about it...what are we gonna do about it?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jules / So much gear, so little time
78
stevetothink / High end
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump