The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio BM12A or Focal Solo6 Studio Monitors
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Dynaudio BM12A or Focal Solo6

Hi All,

Long time lurker here.

I am in the process of upgrading my monitors from Event 20/20 Passives with an Alesis RA300 Amp to something more in the high end. My room is 3.6m wide by 4.2 long and 2.4 high. I also have a budget for room treatment so this is taken are of.

These are the two monitors I am looking towards. The problem I have is in New Zealand the stores only stock the cheeper range of speakers so it is very hard to listen to these speakers.

I hear great things about the Focal Solo6's (I would love the Twins but our exchange rate has taken a hit and they would be about $6000 NZD now!!!!)
I would need to import the Focal's myself and therefore if anything went wrong the warrenty could be a problem as I would have to ship them back to the USA costing a lot.

I am intrigued by the Dynaudio BM12A's as well, I can get these from the New Zealand distributer (they need to import them as well so I can't listen to them) for about the same price as the Focal Solo's but then any warrenty issues could be delt with through New Zealand.

I havn't been able to find any real info or user opinions on the BM12A's so was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old 17th August 2007
The Focal's are amazing. The service and support is excellent as well. Since the company is located in France you probably won't have to ship them to the USA if you have any issues. Personally I would save for the Twins if I were you (although the Solo's are very cool too).

Btw, I just used xe.com to check the current exchange rate and you can get a pair of Twins for under $4100 NZD (not including shipping of course).
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply.

Shipping I figure will be about another $700NZD and then I have taxes to pay as they come through the border here, probably about another $600NZD.
I am still considering the Focal Twins but for the amount of studio work I do I don't know if I can justify them. It is mainly a hobby for me but I am keen to get good equipment as I go.

I am still keen to here if anyone has experience with the Dynaudio BM12A's and what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Focal Solo6's here and they are just awesome. I wanted the Twins but like you I couldn't justify the cost.
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

BM12A

Hi Paul, I bought the BM12A about a 2 months ago and I'm realy happy, I use to work with the BM15A and I'm use more power but the feeling is the same and they're worth every penny.
Miggo Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Shipping I figure will be about another $700NZD and then I have taxes to pay as they come through the border here, probably about another $600NZD.
I am still considering the Focal Twins but for the amount of studio work I do I don't know if I can justify them. It is mainly a hobby for me but I am keen to get good equipment as I go.

I am still keen to here if anyone has experience with the Dynaudio BM12A's and what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I demo's the Solo6's and really liked them however i found that in my room, and for my music (dance), they didn't have quite enough bass.

I then heard the Twin6's, fell in love straight away, and subsequently bought a pair as i couldn't face not having them anymore.

Both models use the same tweeter, which is where most of the detailed sound, and magic, come from.

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
I demo's the Solo6's and really liked them however i found that in my room, and for my music (dance), they didn't have quite enough bass.

I then heard the Twin6's, fell in love straight away, and subsequently bought a pair as i couldn't face not having them anymore.

Both models use the same tweeter, which is where most of the detailed sound, and magic, come from.

But aren't they both rated at 40Hz-40 kHz? How does having a separate driver on the twin of the same size give it a lower low?

I've listened to the Solo 6 and tested it against other monitors recently, and the Solo6's are definitely very nice--quite lush in the mids, but they do lack in the lowest lows--you'll need to get the Sub6 to round out the frequency range.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
But aren't they both rated at 40Hz-40 kHz? How does having a separate driver on the twin of the same size give it a lower low?
Because both woofers are handling the low end.

It's not the size of the driver as much as the surface area...2x 6.5" drivers is like one 10" or 12" (I can't remember), yet 1 big driver is slow to react, so 2 smaller drivers will be quicker/tighter while still handling the low end. Much easier to control smaller drivers instead of 1 big woofer.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Does this mean with the Twin6, you can get away with not using a Sub, while with the Solo6, you'd need one?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does this mean with the Twin6, you can get away with not using a Sub, while with the Solo6, you'd need one?
Exactly, 2 drivers handling different freq ranges- it is a 3-way design. In addition you have to take into account the size of the cabinet, porting, etc.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Didn't meant to mislead you- the appropriate response should have been- yes, the twins will go lower than the Solo6's, but still could likely benefit from a sub depending on the the genre of music you are doing.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

alternative

i say PMC!

TB2's the active ones!

wicked monitors...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
i say PMC!

TB2's the active ones!

wicked monitors...
i agree the PMC are really detailed and accurate monitor v.v. amazing with a massive sound stage. well worth a listen and great value at about 3K a pair.

that said i bought the focal solo6 and am v. happy except - as others have said - they lack deep extension despite the fact they are rated down to 40 +- 3db.

but yes defiinetly have a listen to the PMC before buying

spek
Old 27th October 2007
Here for the gear

Hey All,

Thanks for all your input, thought I'd update you and let you know that I am sitting in front a new set of Focal Twin6"s!!!!

After much thought (and convincing the wife!!!) I decided to take the plunge and ordered the Focals from across the ditch in Aussie.

I am very very very happy right now!!!!!

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search