The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on the Royer CD. Ribbon Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Thoughts on the Royer CD.

Anyone heard this CD? 95% is the R121 tracking different instruments, including voice. Was hoping to hear the new vacum tube Royer on the CD, but it wasn't on it. The CD just confirmed for me what I suspected about Royer mics: Too hi-fi, too close in sound to condenser mics. Prefer the darker/vibier sound of my AEAs. Kinda liked that Schoeps tube mic at the end. (I boosted the Bass a little in my car, and I thought it sounded very very good). Also, I thought the best sounding thing on the whole CD was that little country ditty done on a Roland 1680. Hooray for Roland gear!! (Proud user of a Roland 2400 here). If the guy who did that song used the Roland preamps for that, well....than all this preamp fetishism is indeed silly.

Last edited by bluegrasser; 17th August 2007 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: spelling, etc.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

heard it...

its ok.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Anyone heard this CD? 95% is the R121 tracking different instruments, including voice. Was hoping to hear the new vacum tube Royer on the CD, but it wasn't on it. The CD just confirmed for me what I suspected about Royer mics: Too hi-fi, too close in sound to condenser mics. Prefer the darker/vibier sound of my AEAs. Kinda liked that Schoeps tube mic at the end. (I boosted the Bass a little in my car, and I thought it sounded very very good). Also, I thought the best sounding thing on the whole CD was that little country ditty done on a Roland 1680. Hooray for Roland gear!! (Proud user of a Roland 2400 here). If the guy who did that song used the Roland preamps for that, well....than all this preamp fetishism is indeed silly.
I had one sent to me. I thought the gtr sounds on the cd were average at best.
If was trying to sell a product I would try a little harder than royer did
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the CD but I've owned 2 121s for 8 yrs. I would not describe them as hi fi nor anything close to what a condensor mic does. There is no hype, no upper mid bump. Very real. When I first bought them I thought they were too dull but soon realized that I was used to condensor mics and that they are just the right ticket. Esp going to digital medium. I can't comment on what you heard on the CD just my own personal experience. Seems as though the CD is not as impressive as Royer thought from the comments.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search