The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB mix: Print hardware comps with extra DA/AD or plugs? Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

ITB mix: Print hardware comps with extra DA/AD or plugs?

I'll be doing my own tests soon enough, but I'm sure you all have gone through this kind of question. About to mix a project ITB but have plenty of good hardware with Prism converters...

Would you run vocals and such through real 1176/LA-2A, etc.. and print back using Prism Dream

or not do the extra conversion and use plugs?

And why?

Curious on your thoughts, thanks all.

-a
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I use hardware, make full recall sheets and print.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'll be doing my own tests soon enough, but I'm sure you all have gone through this kind of question. About to mix a project ITB but have plenty of good hardware with Prism converters...

Would you run vocals and such through real 1176/LA-2A, etc.. and print back using Prism Dream

or not do the extra conversion and use plugs?

And why?

Curious on your thoughts, thanks all.

-a
For the important stuff(Vocals, drums, bass & guitars) I always use the real stuff.

Its worth it to my ears.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

unfortunately ---- he is right
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
For the important stuff(Vocals, drums, bass & guitars) I always use the real stuff.

Its worth it to my ears.
...and you run it through hardware and go back into Pro Tools, do the extra conversion?

Sorry, just want to clarify your particular workflow.

Thanks,

-a
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

If your going to do it and want to loose little to no sound quality, its best to use a good DA converter aswell as a good AD.

Personally i do it all the time as im allways finding that the nice outboard gear really makes things sound much better than plug-ins. It also helps to minimize the strain on your DAW which is allways a good thing.

Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
...and you run it through hardware and go back into Pro Tools, do the extra conversion?

Sorry, just want to clarify your particular workflow.

Thanks,

-a
Yes especially when i know the song will require lots of recalls.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
If your going to do it and want to loose little to no sound quality, its best to use a good DA converter aswell as a good AD.

Personally i do it all the time as im allways finding that the nice outboard gear really makes things sound much better than plug-ins. It also helps to minimize the strain on your DAW which is allways a good thing.

Will be using a Prism Dream ADA-8XR... that cut it for good back and forth conversions?

-a
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will be using a Prism Dream ADA-8XR... that cut it for good back and forth conversions?

-a
The fact that your using Prism for both AD/DA is a good thing, and im sure it will more than cut it!

When you get to a certain level of converters, it is allways best to use the same brand for both AD/DA. This ensures that the DA conversion will reproduce the full detail of what was recorded by the AD conversion.

Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search