The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite "go-to" bass compressor? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

summit TLA100 , like an La2a with attack and release controls.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

A little Distressor, a little Pendulum ES8, in series.
- c
Old 17th August 2007
Aphex Expressor.

With the widest attack/release ranges around it will adapt to any player style. It's the only comp I've used that can tame a +30 db string slap and then grab the next softly brushed thumb note and get it right. The HF expander maskes the compression effect so it's very natural. Most folks can't tell when it's even on.

It works like there's a little man inside running a fader up and down who's smarter and faster than I am.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Distressor
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Depends - Urei 1176, AWA G54, RCA Ba6a, fader riding..
Old 17th August 2007
Depends on the guitar and the front end setup. If the tone is already really thick and colored, then it's usually a Buzz Audio SOC1.1 or a Buzz Essence would do the same thing just be a bit more euphonic sounding. If the bass is tracked clean and I want more coloration I'll combine something like a Chandler TG-1 with a Tube Tech CL1B (not necessarily in that order). Haven't tried the Neve Portico comp on bass yet, but it seems to handle low frequencies very well on two bus so far, so I'll make an educated guess it's going to be quite nice. Purple MC77 is always a good standby, sometimes it's a little too fast on the attack though, but the tone is generally appropriate, especially for metal or punk.
Old 18th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

I like to track with a little distressor and mix with an Electro-Harmonix NY-2A.

The NY-2A is not talked about much, didn't receive the press it could have but is really a cool comp.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like to first have a compressor BEFORE the D.I. or amp. Gets a more consistent tone from the pre. Evens out the string to string response, especially on 5 or 6 strings. The EH Black Finger or Line 6 constrictor are my favorites. THEN I'll hit it with an 1176 or Distressor. Or both.
Old 18th August 2007
Distressor for reggae/ska/dub
1176 for bass w/ plectrum

plug in - MIO ChannelStrip

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search