The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
neve 1073 good first preamp? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Hey all,

new here and I´m in the same kind of situation.
Anyone knows where to get the Brent Averill 1073s in Europe (Scandinavia).

Thanks.
/Fred
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

NO.

If the first preamp you ever buy is one of the best ever made...you won't respect it...you'll have nothing to judge it against.

I did several projects with a Focusrite Penta and when I finally pony-ed up for a Chandler LTD-1 (Neve 1073 clone...) I threw the Penta into traffic.

Point is...preamp's are very subjective...and without extensive 1st hand experience with different flavors I'd go so far as too say that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between a chameleon labs pre and the real thing...in which case it would be a waste of money.

as a first pre...get something of quality (the chameleon labs would give you that sound...but the great river will be one you'll probably keep forever and cost's almost 4 times less than a real 1073)...and then get a distressor...for indie/emo...you'll get amazing results!!! and still pay 1/2 as much.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjimjim View Post
the 1073 sounds excellent, it's a classic, it will flatter everything you put trough it.
You will keep it forever, wether you end up with a $10,000 or $10 million studio.

Go for it.

There is no use spending valuable time obsessing whether some other pre-amp could suit your current situation a hair better.
I agree with this post. I bought a pair of Neve 1073's in 1992. Never looked back.
I could say the same for my house. Neves are expensive, but are an investment.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty cooper View Post
hello,

i'm in the process of producing an emo/alt. rock album and it's time to upgrade an essential part of my equipment; the preamp. As of now i'm using the preamps of my fireface 800 which do the job, but are very clean and sterile. I have a Neumann U87 from the 70's which will be the mic for vocals and maybe some acoustic guitars.

I've been reading a lot lately on these forums and it's very confusing... The overall opinion seems to be that the 1073 is a great preamp for almost everything. But it has so little features in comparison to the millenia stt1, API 7600 or the Chandler LTD...

Is it wise to spend my budget on a 2 ch preamp with no eq or compression? Or should i buy a true ch. strip?

aaah! The choices are just too much!

advice anyone?
I don't mean this in the offensive way it may come across, but as this is your first mic proe, I'm going to assum that you're pretty inexpereinced and your going to get bad sounds out of anything you buy. Even if you buy the perfect set of golf clubs, custom made for your swing, you're still going to spend more time in the woods than on the green.

One great thing about buying a 1073 is that you'll never outgrow it. You'll spned the money once, and you won't lose half the value when you're trading it in a year later to buy a better pre, becuae you won't ever be trading it in.

If you can afford an original, it's a great choice. Beyond that, I think first preamp choice is not something to angst over, becuse it's the begining of a long expensive process regardlees of the choice you make.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search