The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

API input module

I don't get why everybody is bitchin' about the pan and mic-pre location? Not in "the know" I guess?

Take a look at my input strip. It's a 536 module from around 1975. Apparently API has been designing their input strips in this fashion for 30 plus years! I think it is extremelly cool that they are staying somewhat true to the old school design layout.

Come on guys. This ain't no f*cking Mackie or Ghost. Deal with it and who cares. It'll take about 5 minutes to get use to the layout.

This is no design flaw and will/should never be changed. Right on API!
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-536.jpg  
Old 19th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
This is no design flaw and will/should never be changed. Right on API!
I agree... I actually prefer this setup (especially for it's main purpose, a tracking console).... I would rather have the mic pre gain at close reach to ride it, etc..

I can't wait to get our demo unit... too bad they aren't going to start shipping these until the end of the year. I want one now! heh
Old 19th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

I only pointed it out for humour sake!

I don't think they should change the panpot location. The Daking console is also like this...

-T
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

re: panpot position

A lot of the higher-end live consoles (Gamble, Yamaha) have the same arrangement: gain down by the fader where it's easy to reach, pan up by the auxes, set and forget.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
A lot of the higher-end live consoles (Gamble, Yamaha) have the same arrangement: gain down by the fader where it's easy to reach, pan up by the auxes, set and forget.
Yup, anyone who has done a line check for 20+ channels in a terrible hurry with a Midas Heritage 2000 or 3000 knows to appreciate gain being reachable...

On the topic: Finally an API that is almost in my pricerange, I can probably afford it in two years time. Excellent.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just wanted to point out that a concern was clarified to me somewhere else about the monitoring situation. The 1608 has a direct out from the EQ and an insert point on all the faders.

The more I think about this thing, the more I can see how this could be a stellar solution for a mid range hybrid set up.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I just wanted to point out that a concern was clarified to me somewhere else about the monitoring situation. The 1608 has a direct out from the EQ and an insert point on all the faders.

The more I think about this thing, the more I can see how this could be a stellar solution for a mid range hybrid set up.
So close... yet so far. If they had just put a "level" pot in that routing module right before the direct out so we could adust level going to tape after the pre and EQ... this would be an "inline" console for all practical purposes and be right near pefect!! I mean... you just GOTTA be able to drive that pre hard when you want to and not worry about having to patch in a pad, or whatever.....

My definition of perfect? A relatively small footprint console with 8 or more busses and direct out on all channels, with inline functionality, at least 2 rows of 500 series compatibility, at least 2 stereo FX sends, and 4 mono FX sends, expandable, sounds amazing, and can have a compelling automation package.

I mean heck... it's about $3000.00 per channeol now. I would pay $3100.00 to $3200.00 a channel for that last little feature!! heh

p.s. I am pretty happy with my all RN Amek Mozart right now. But it is HUGE, and I would love to "downgrade" in size and bring in something with moving fader automation, and that could be customized by using 500 series modules.
Old 20th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Yeah, 1 or 2 pots, and a couple of switches/ relays would have added inline functionalitly, which would make the board so much more useable for my workflow. If you ditch workflow, what't the point of a console?

Yeah, but you should hear the auxes on this thing?

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I've got my api pre's and eq's. That's enough api for me at the moment.

It is very cool though...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean... you just GOTTA be able to drive that pre hard when you want to and not worry about having to patch in a pad, or whatever.....
Well you can, but then you'll have to monitor from your daw or whatever and lose the faders to the preamps...but I hear ya. Although without knowing too much about the board - there could be a workaround with the subgroups.

But hell....just one more teeny weenie line in with a level and pan potheh

TBH, too bad they kept this such a bloody secret - I don't understand why they wouldn't want some feedback...but anyhow I would have ordered one yesterday if it had the monitor path - but then, I'm pretty much emotional
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you can, but then you'll have to monitor from your daw or whatever and lose the faders to the preamps...but I hear ya. Although without knowing too much about the board - there could be a workaround with the subgroups.

TBH, too bad they kept this such a bloody secret - I don't understand why they wouldn't want some feedback...but anyhow I would have ordered one yesterday if it had the monitor path - but then, I'm pretty much emotional

I agree, there should have been more info and feedback with users before the design was final... I like the idea, but a 50k 16 channel desk with no inline monitors and no tape return section is a bit tough to justify....

Beautiful tracking desk, beautiful side car, great for a personal setup,
BUT, I feel like during a session I'd be summing returns ITB and monitoring that..
And that sucks. makes 4 day ep gigs WAY less organic, and fun.

It looks beautiful and I bet it will sound great, but for my money (about 15g's less including Bays and the necessary reworking of the CR), I think I'm still looking at an 24 channel Neotek Elan TT, which is inline, and is a very nice desk itself.

But if I hat 90 k , I'd be all over the 32 channel, that’s plenty of faders to run sessions split.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

that ribbon cable seems to be connecting to some sort of AES/SYNC connection.

I'm sure theres a bunch in there anyway, but what else would they use nowadays?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
that would make 64 inputs on a 32 channel console when summed; for $90K or $110K with auto i think they'd be selling a bunch.

Quote:
i can understand them. if you start telling everyone your plans the competition can beat you to it in a heartbeat. i think they'll be selling quite alot of these as sidecars as is. then they can come out with a MKII or whatever. fwiw i think it's really great that they came out with this thing. if API is reading, stereo channels would be an awesome future option.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i can understand them. if you start telling everyone your plans the competition can beat you to it in a heartbeat.
Naaaa - a 16X8 isn't really that revolutionary
Old 21st August 2007
BT_
Gear Head

I like the non revolutionary vibe of the whole thing,kind of in a 68 Chevy SS kind of way.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

i LOVE that the console is making a comeback, in a very millennial way.

now if only we could do something about this whole loudness thing...

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Seems my cash saved for Tonelux will definitely go API.
Exact format, price and feature set within budget.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
that was our thoughts exactly. Tonelux is great, but this is built to be precisely what we were trying to make out of a Tonelux configuration. Only, more options are available as-in grouping, bussing and routing since it is all tied up in one box.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i LOVE that the console is making a comeback, in a very millennial way.
It's funny...If anything, it would be that the engineers are the ones making the comeback.

(ps, I'm just trying to keep the thread going )
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

so has anyone figured out the exact routing capacity of these? No monitor fader or knob, no monitor section... So how does one adjust level to tape?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
i'm trying to justify getting the thing but i frankly just don't need it. looks so pretty though...

Quote:
(ps, I'm just trying to keep the thread going )
+1! any news on the automation (if it'll play with PT) would be appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
so has anyone figured out the exact routing capacity of these? No monitor fader or knob, no monitor section... So how does one adjust level to tape?
Well as is you can use the direct outs and use the preamp gain knob in conjunction with the fader for tape levels. In this set up you monitor off your tape machine or daw. Or you can use the direct out from the EQ module and the insert point on the fader and use the faders for monitoring and simply use your amp gain knob to adjust level to tape - which is fine unless you want to drive the pre and attenuate with the fader (which is not an unlikely scenario).

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Naaaa - a 16X8 isn't really that revolutionary
but a small format recreation of a vintage tone monster that can interface with a DAW i think is. if AMS-Neve did it 1st, i think they would've made a killing... but API did it first. smart move. stike

and if the thing offered

Quote:
...just one more teeny weenie line in with a level and pan potheh
and if the line ins could be summed to the other 16 channels at mixdown the waiting list would be ridiculous (imho). a 32 channel would run you in the ballpark of what you can get an 8068 for, and give you 64 inputs at mixdown ... brand new. that would definitely kill. and for recall, a detented pot version... wowie.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
but a small format recreation of a vintage tone monster that can interface with a DAW i think is. if AMS-Neve did it 1st, i think they would've made a killing... but API did it first. smart move. stike

and if the thing offered

and if the line ins could be summed to the other 16 channels at mixdown the waiting list would be ridiculous (imho). a 32 channel would run you in the ballpark of what you can get an 8068 for, and give you 64 inputs at mixdown ... brand new. that would definitely kill. and for recall, a detented pot version... wowie.
IF API PEOPLE READ THIS THREAD LET THEM UNDERSTAND.

THERE ARE NO BETTER DESIGN CONSULTANTS THAN GEARSLUTZS.

Console fulfuills around 80-90% of many people's expectations (in 50-100 k range). Damn it, make last effort and do the miracle.
If not you, someone else will do it sooner or later.

Anyone, I'm intensely saving now.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

wow, that console looked huge untill the dude started mixing on it.
Very small foot print.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I guess the latest thing that I am wondering is.....power. There has been much discussion about API PSU's for lunchboxes and 10 space racks being inadequate to power many of the 3rd party 500 series modules.

Would be nice to get an assurance from API that this consoles PSU is going to handle whatever we decide to drop into it...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I guess the latest thing that I am wondering is.....power. There has been much discussion about API PSU's for lunchboxes and 10 space racks being inadequate to power many of the 3rd party 500 series modules.

Would be nice to get an assurance from API that this consoles PSU is going to handle whatever we decide to drop into it...

I would doubt very much that API would build a console that didn't have an adequate power supply.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post

Never hurts to be sure but I suspect if your module of choice isn't a part of the 'VPR Alliance' or whatever it's called the module is 'out'.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments and thoughtful input on the new console. We’ve tried hard to honor the heritage of the amazing 1604 console, while at the same time providing more flexibility and options that folks like you need and deserve. The website should have new pics and info posted within a day or so. That being said, we’re looking forward to seeing many of you at the official debut of the Model 1608 at the AES in New York, booth 248!
Old 23rd August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments and thoughtful input on the new console. We’ve tried hard to honor the heritage of the amazing 1604 console, while at the same time providing more flexibility and options that folks like you need and deserve. The website should have new pics and info posted within a day or so. That being said, we’re looking forward to seeing many of you at the official debut of the Model 1608 at the AES in New York, booth 248!
I'll be there with you! heh
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
When do you start international sales?
I'm ready to get and install the first one here in my new facility like working showroom sample given that it is priced US MSRP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search