The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
PS went to the API site to see if they had anything on this thing, and all i found was HUGE add for the waves api plugs. what's wrong with this picture?
ugghh I just lost my appetite
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone know why the site makes no mention of this console? Or is it buried somewhere in the site?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Anyone know why the site makes no mention of this console? Or is it buried somewhere in the site?
maybe they are too busy getting into bed with waves to update the site heh
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Doesn`t look like enough DSUBS for patchbay link up?

What do others think about having to provide your own patchbay and leads?
Puts me right off, more things to possibly go wrong/headache.
I`m sure loads of you would rather do it yourself but it`s nice to have the option.

What is the consensus on API build quality at the moment ?
I personally don`t rate it very highly the 550a`s I bought end of last year work and sound great but the knobs are quite wobbly, not very reassuring, feels like somethings going to break soon.
Also got a 2500 about 2 years ago and one channel has died, been using it mono mode as I havn`t got around to sending it off to hospital.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

This cute new API board shows us again how much is the ICON nothing but a big overpriced empty box (functional, yes, but ridiculously overpriced).

BAck to the API, I'd like to know which brilliant mind was the responsible of misleading the places of the PAN and the MIC PRE rotary knobs.

"...ooops, I panned the vocal at 9 o'clock, wait a sec....."

CRAASHAAABOOOOOMMM!

The Main studio speakers explode as do the singer's ears as he's putting down some takes while on cans

Do I smell some legal actions here?

cute desk though.
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
API is going to show this console at AES in October! It has been a bit of a secret up unitl now. You can pre order the console at this time!

Quote:
Doesn`t look like enough DSUBS for patchbay link up
You can get the console with all Dsub connections on the rear panel if you would like. More info on that to come!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
I wonder if they'll give an option of having faders like the vintage one....? That would be definitely much more cooler than the normal fader heads.
I agree.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
I hear tell from Rack-n-Roll that API is only making 20 of these things on the first run and production is limited.
Thank goodness! Maybe on the 2nd run they will have finally listened to all the feedback on this thread, and at the VERY least swapped the pan and preamp knobs around for the next run. heh
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder if they'll give an option of having faders like the vintage one....? That would be definitely much more cooler than the normal fader heads.
You wouldn't want original 440 faders. I had them on my 2488 when I bought it and changed to Penny & Giles faders which was a big improvement.

Mark
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

anyone wanna offer me a massive publishing deal so i can buy one of these. although some of the features do seem backwards like the gain and pan thing... STRANGE... very hard to be objective about this for me though, As i have be waiting with baited breath for API to do a new version of the 1604

My hope is that in the next year or two the Quirks will be ironed out.. in that time i will become hugely successful (lol) and buy one of the revised models.

Looks the business though.

+ 1 for the old school fader knobs though!!!

Bluey.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

the pan is up by the buss assigns, I see no problem with that.

different than most modern stuff, but not a deal breaker.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
You wouldn't want original 440 faders. I had them on my 2488 when I bought it and changed to Penny & Giles faders which was a big improvement.

Mark
Yes, but the 440's are cooler than P&G's. Deny it at your peril.

- c
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is amazing news! What a product! Its going to be just out of my price range at the moment, how infuriating . Must sell some internal organs or something, who needs a liver anyway!

This is probably the most exciting high-end product about to be released for a while.
I bet this thread is about for a while too!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mark
We're just talking about the fader knobs themselves. Just aesthetics.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
To me that seems like what this thing really is, a sidecar. But it also seems like a bunch of 500 series racks would work fine, take less space and be just as useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
did you see all the AUX, bussing, routing, monitoring, soloing, and grouping features? A LOT more can be done with this puppy than just 500 series racks. It has the legacy brain.
But you said you'll use it as a side car, alnog with a console with tons of routing options. Doesn't it get a little redundant?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
But you said you'll use it as a side car, alnog with a console with tons of routing options. Doesn't it get a little redundant?
Well, the console is an SSL G+. We want to be able to track with the API and not go through the SSL in the tracking process. We are will have pro tools, (2) 2" 8-track (John French is doing them) + a 2" 16-track and tons of outboard. The idea is to use the API as the tracking console and the SSL for mixdown (while accessing the API features durin mixdown as well). It is very custom room.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
That is $50k loaded with the eq modules I assume...? What if one already has a large collection of API 500 series eqs and just wants to buy a 1608 with NO eqs...? IS that possible? If so, approximate cost?

If a typical API 500 series eq is say about $1,000.... 16 X $1,000 = $16,000. $50k - $16k = $34k....??? So, is an unloaded 1608 about $34k...???
ya, but even with the modules, there's still no api mix buss.the console format provides that, ontop of all the other goodies
Old 19th August 2007
bee
Lives for gear

Man, that thing looks hot! What are the dimensions?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Man, that thing looks hot! What are the dimensions?
38"W x 34" D x 18" H

here's the Vintage King link
http://vintageking.com/s.nl?it=A&id=...8&category=337
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

My chick said as long as she can have a shiloh( if thats how you spell it) i can get a 55K console whe we get married(next year)Im so excited................about the console of courseheh
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

The fact that someone like API has built this console with no regard to any DAW control bla bla bla ... means there is hope for our industry yet!

In five years when our lease is up and we move to a smaller space, that gorgeous tricked out 4048 in the control room may just be replaced with something like this.

And I'll take a ninety thousand dollar console (API) over a ninety thousand dollar mouse (Digidesign) any day.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Yes, but the 440's are cooler than P&G's. Deny it at your peril.

- c
Cooler as in harder to grab a handful ? Nope......

Course best thing I ever did to my APi was add Flying Faders. But that's another (expensive) story......
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cooler as in harder to grab a handful ? Nope......

Course best thing I ever did to my APi was add Flying Faders. But that's another (expensive) story......
Cooler as in it's not that 'white plastic fader thing'... heh heh

All I'm talking about is the actual fader 'head' (if that's what it's called) and not the fader module itself.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops909 View Post
I have to chime in here to slag off api because I contacted them perfectly nicely and politely about a legacy console 6 months ago and they were very rude to me and said I probably wouldn`t be able to afford it without knowing anything about me at all, thing is they were wrong and I was seriously interested in buying one and at that precise point changed my mind and thought F**K you !
I think all the nice things thats said about their stuff has gone to their heads.
FWIW, BMW did that once to me. I still ended up buying a BMW E60. If you have a problem with a representative, be sure to let the manager know about it. I wouldn't let a miserable POS answering my phone ruin my plans. If that person was rude to me, I would make it a point to have the manager remedy the situation immediately and have that person fired!
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have to say that I still think it's a bit pricey. An API 1604 sat at 25k till about 5 or 6 years ago when they started to creep up to about 30 to 35k depending on the condition. Which they are still at btw. So for 4 more subgroups she's worth an additional 15 to 20k, I don't think so. Seems a bit steep.

Then again I just filled out my Electrodyne 16x4 with all 712 modules (with the graphic EQ's, the rarest of them all) so I guess that's worth about 30k now according to the pretzel logic. I suppose I should be happy.

I am glad that API did bring this type of side car back to market.
Old 19th August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

I would be interested in hearing the new one and the old one side by side. Maybe it's just me, but new API doesn't always sound like old API.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
LOL. I will NOT be showing that to my girl... (lucky for me she is sleeping right now)
Well I guess since my girlfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago, she can't stop me from getting this, or the bike i want next summer

For real though, the desk looks good, but I agree with a lot of guys here. It's too small to be a mix desk (ok so $90k gets you 32ch...) and too expensive to be a DAW front-end for a lot of guys. It seems to occupy this space in the middle.

I will however put a great big +1 on the pan and gain positions. I think it's kinda cool to have the gain right at your fingers without having to stand up to reach over the desk to get to it. I kinda like the change!

That being said it's still a groovy desk. I'd probably be all over one if I had the cash.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cooler as in it's not that 'white plastic fader thing'... heh heh

All I'm talking about is the actual fader 'head' (if that's what it's called) and not the fader module itself.
You can get larger "knobs" for the faders I assume. They come in nice colors as well
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've worked on several vintage API's (never legacy)... All of them had the pan pot in the routing module and mic pre at the bottom. It never bothered me or caused a problem.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

My Plans

Well, the guys at Rack-n-Roll have been great to me, and I just purchased a bunch of EQ's and outboard 212 pre's...so now it's time to do the numbers, and figure out how I can get one of these. It seems great to me, and from what Jeremy says, sounds every bit API....so use existing modules, sove some $$, and have an API......YES!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search