The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
But what WE really want is something for nothing (ie Chinese).heh
and we want it NOW! stike
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am proud to say we are building a studio right now (under-construction) and we ordered our 1608 today!! Trucks were delivering sand to raise the ground level, we are building a place from scratch, and the API 1608 will be the sidecar next to the 4064 G+.
Old 17th August 2007
Old 17th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

It strikes me that when everyone used tape, consoles were a straightforward device, the interface between mic and tape. Monitoring was always done off the board and you lived with the inherent limitations...but that was and still is, fine.

However the DAW generation all seem to work in different ways and dream up elaborate signal paths for tracking and mixing. Nothing you couldn't do with a creative patchbay back in the day but...a console of this flexibilty would be £100k+ if it provided the features to suit everyone who owns a DAW and their personal studio.

All I'm saying is - designers have to compromise the feature set down otherwise they would throw the kitchen sink in. I talk to some manufacturers here in the UK and they have their own visions about how a console will be used...sometimes way off how I would want to use it.

I think some companies still see the console as a traditional interface...whereas I think the DAW generation see it as something else entirely. Maybe I'm rambling. I know what I mean!!! just can't put it succinctly.

I think thats why we are seeing all the modular solutions...so you're not boxed in.
However they don't really end up like a 'traditional console' either.
I see limitations in the Tonelux format that I see elsewhere, just like I see limitations in the API.

I think a lot of people won't be happy until they find something perfect to them. Problem is, I don't think it exists and cannot for the price they want to pay.

Custom is the only way...but thats even more expensive.
Look at thrillfactor - I've read some posts from him about not being able to find a console big enough and colourful enough for him to work on.

What he want doesn't exist - yet there are loads of consoles out there totally workable. After reading his posts I don't think what he after is even doable for the money he wants to pay. Sorry thrill!!

Anyway - what was I saying????? shoot me

I just haven't seen anyone really go out on a limb yet with a console that breaks away from the typical format.

I know of a few products that will be coming out and be very cool. I can't say what they are but they will suit some of the people requirements in this thread down to a T and be cheaper than the API.

Oh and congrats to 84K for ordering one of these badboys...it does look great even if its not 'perfect' LOL!!
-T
Old 17th August 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Like anything else,it has its place in the market & what works for some wont work for others.

It has been mentioned in other console threads,the more features you want,the price keeps going up,where do you draw the line.On the same note,for 50K,you should expect a few things,unfortunately,you can only please so many people.

I think its cool to be seeing scaled down desks from the bigger companies & I think we will see lots more in the near future.The Rupert Neve desk,the Tonelux concept,the 1608,and dont forget,the new Chandler hints at changing things too.These are all cool setups & have their own little markets.

Even though this is close,it seems people really want to see a true 500 series frame that can accept all the different companies modules,and let people buy as they can to fill it out,with what they want.If someone can do it for a good price point it would be huge.

This 1608 looks great,and will fit some peoples needs for sure.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

I have to chime in here to slag off api because I contacted them perfectly nicely and politely about a legacy console 6 months ago and they were very rude to me and said I probably wouldn`t be able to afford it without knowing anything about me at all, thing is they were wrong and I was seriously interested in buying one and at that precise point changed my mind and thought F**K you !
I think all the nice things thats said about their stuff has gone to their heads.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I am proud to say we are building a studio right now (under-construction) and we ordered our 1608 today!! Trucks were delivering sand to raise the ground level, we are building a place from scratch, and the API 1608 will be the sidecar next to the 4064 G+.
To me that seems like what this thing really is, a sidecar. But it also seems like a bunch of 500 series racks would work fine, take less space and be just as useful.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack-N-Roll View Post
Check out these pictures we took!

wow I REALLY want one of thesethumbsup
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Look at thrillfactor - I've read some posts from him about not being able to find a console big enough and colourful enough for him to work on.
TThe problem I see with "custom" is how general it needs to be. I love the Tonelux modular console concept. The Tonelux stuff sounds great too, which is of course very important. Because the Tonelux is so modular, the bussing and grouping can't be as sophisticated as the API (since the API is a console with fixed bussing). Now, for many people's needs I could see the Tonelux being a much better way to go. It just so happened that this API is the exact configuration me partners and I were looking for out of the Tonelux. Still, I tip my hat to Paul Wolfe and Tonelux.

Quote:
I know of a few products that will be coming out and be very cool. I can't say what they are but they will suit some of the people requirements in this thread down to a T and be cheaper than the API.
I have heard of some too. I am also looking forward.... Not for myself, we are done that search. Just as a slut who will read about and envy others.

[/QUOTE]Oh and congrats to 84K for ordering one of these badboys...it does look great even if its not 'perfect' LOL!!
-T[/QUOTE]

THANKS!!! I learned and started on an API so it is like going back to my roots. I am very excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
To me that seems like what this thing really is, a sidecar. But it also seems like a bunch of 500 series racks would work fine, take less space and be just as useful.
did you see all the AUX, bussing, routing, monitoring, soloing, and grouping features? A LOT more can be done with this puppy than just 500 series racks. It has the legacy brain.
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:

What he want doesn't exist - yet there are loads of consoles out there totally workable. After reading his posts I don't think what he after is even doable for the money he wants to pay. Sorry thrill!!
No apologies needed.

Your right it doesn't exist.

Not yet.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Not yet.
I like your attitude!
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
This is EXTREMELY cool, but I think API didn't think this thing through. With $50k budget you have a more than a handful of options of nice consoles. Right now there are less people willing to spend $50k on a nice board.

Obviously if API released a board for $10k it wouldn't come close to this and would require them to build new preamps/EQ with corners cut, but right now the money is in the "prosumer" market.

I wish them the best, but a Toft ATB killer is what API should've developed.

I hope this doesn't come off as bitching because it really isn't. API is awesome, and although I'm excited that they released a new console....it's something a lot of people won't be buying.
It doesn't come off as bitching...it comes off as unrealistic.

Nice affordable mixers and the world's best 'consoles'...are two entirely different things. Just because capitalism is rampant...and there's tons of prosumer **** around every corner...doesn't mean that API should lower themselves into that market place. They were never in this market place. Why should they be now?
These consoles are this price for a reason and are not aimed at the prosumer market...... i'm thanking all the studios or persons, that purchase one...for supporting API.

It's a beauty!

D.
Old 18th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Not yet.
Are we going custom boys?
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w View Post
Like anything else,it has its place in the market & what works for some wont work for others.

It has been mentioned in other console threads,the more features you want,the price keeps going up,where do you draw the line.On the same note,for 50K,you should expect a few things,unfortunately,you can only please so many people.

I think its cool to be seeing scaled down desks from the bigger companies & I think we will see lots more in the near future.The Rupert Neve desk,the Tonelux concept,the 1608,and dont forget,the new Chandler hints at changing things too.These are all cool setups & have their own little markets.

Even though this is close,it seems people really want to see a true 500 series frame that can accept all the different companies modules,and let people buy as they can to fill it out,with what they want.If someone can do it for a good price point it would be huge.

This 1608 looks great,and will fit some peoples needs for sure.
You've summed up all the key points for me here.

R.E the 'true 500 frame' I'm one of the people looking for that, or more precisely, that but without the physical frame; just a compact rackmountable multi-bus multi-aux line router/mixer to link my outboard; like a Speck Xtramix, but more ergonomic and console-like and modualr in its design, but not as expensive as Tonelux.

I do like the look of the new 1608, especially the lights on the buttons (not sure about the extra large VU meter bridge) but its just too 'complete' for me personally.
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
A question i had about the picture...are there no group faders for the group outs?

If you added the automation package you would want these automated as well right?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well in all fairness API still makes a REAL console mixers they're just alot more coin.

But what WE really want is something for nothing (ie Chinese).heh
Exactly. I want a legacy plus in the footprint and price of the 1608!! heh

But seriously, the legacy plus is in my mind just about the perfect "new" console for the kind of work I do. I am just not successful enough to be able to afford one yet.

I will say that I don't think an "inline" design is a "creative" signal path scenario. It makes the most sense and is the most elegant way to record, and has a been a standard on production consoles for some time now. Pre (or line), eq, insert, little fader sets level to tape, tape return comes up on the big fader/pan so you can mix as you track and don't have to worry about bumping the big faders and changing your "to tape" levels.

So.. if API swapped those pan and preamp knobs (what in the WORLD were they thinking) and made one more row (or penthouse if you will) of slots for 500 series devices an option, and then made a "sub routing" module with a fader and some routing options.... this would just about be the perfect console for today, and would open itself up to many more customers.

Oh yeah... and don't forget the amazing new faders that actually have some intelligence and can drive a traditional analog attenuator and then mechanically disengage and become DAW controllers. Then we are talking!!!

I don't mind if it's a little more money. I can start with 16 channels and a few EQ's and build as I go. I just don't like sidecars. It's all about getting as much gear as you can in the sweet spot to me... ya know?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops909 View Post
I have to chime in here to slag off api because I contacted them perfectly nicely and politely about a legacy console 6 months ago and they were very rude to me and said I probably wouldn`t be able to afford it without knowing anything about me at all, thing is they were wrong and I was seriously interested in buying one and at that precise point changed my mind and thought F**K you !
I think all the nice things thats said about their stuff has gone to their heads.
What did you get instead?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What did you get instead?

Great question. I called, and though I was fairly sure the Legacy Plus was a little out of my price range, the gentleman I spoke with was very patient, passed on a LOT of knowledge, offered to arrange for me to check out the one at Sound Kitchen, gave me pricing expectations (they are all pretty much custom)....etc..

I have gotten nothing but good communication from API.
Old 18th August 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Mmmmmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-api.jpg   The New API 1608 Console-444.jpg   The New API 1608 Console-ttt.jpg  
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

So, did they incorporate the use of their 8200's as extra inputs with this desk???
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Damnit. I have to have one!

Massive gear sell-off now.

Neve (vintage) 1073 & 1066 in 2 slot powered rack.

2 Chandler Tone Control EQ's + power supply.

1 API 8200A 8 channel Summing mixer Master

1 API 8200 8 channel Summing mixer -links to master total of 16 channels of summing

1 API 7600 channel strip.

1 Digidesign Contol 24.

Ya'll know what all this stuff is and all of it is in perfect working condition. I need this API board like a crackhead needs.... well.....

Make an offer on all of it as a package. I'd buy the 1608 without selling anything but I'm married.

Jeff.

email offers to:

[email protected]
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow. That's how I feel too man! Are you going to buy it fully loaded?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
have more enough pres (8 X 312s included), don't need a mixer, but just to look at the thing i do too! sick.

but you know what? i'm bitin' my lip and waiting for Neve's instant recallable BCM10s or 8016/32!!! ... ITB, OTB, who gives a ****e? i want one! wah! (tantrum icon)

PS went to the API site to see if they had anything on this thing, and all i found was HUGE add for the waves api plugs. what's wrong with this picture?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hear tell from Rack-n-Roll that API is only making 20 of these things on the first run and production is limited. I wonder if API would take my Midas as a trade towards the 1608? Like, my Midas in great condition, plus $5,000? That sounds about right.
Maybe Rack-n-Roll would be interested in a pre order trade for that amount.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Juliano View Post
I'd buy the 1608 without selling anything but I'm married.
I just showed that to my girlfriend and told her "that is why I am not interested in getting married" She was not too excited about the pics of the 1608 after that (like she would have been anyway)

In all seriousness, good luck getting it. I am excited as hell!! This thing is the sh!t. I can't wait to track with it. smacking punchy drums. guitars, and bass.

P.S. I ordered mine from VINTAGE KING so other dealers obviously can sell them.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I just showed that to my girlfriend and told her "that is why I am not interested in getting married" She was not too excited about the pics of the 1608 after that (like she would have been anyway)

In all seriousness, good luck getting it. I am excited as hell!! This thing is the sh!t. I can't wait to track with it. smacking punchy drums. guitars, and bass.

P.S. I ordered mine from VINTAGE KING so other dealers obviously can sell them.
My wife said shes cool with the console purchase as long as she gets a BMW 7 Series.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Juliano View Post
My wife said shes cool with the console purchase as long as she gets a BMW 7 Series.
LOL. I will NOT be showing that to my girl... (lucky for me she is sleeping right now)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nice concept but for $50k I would have expected a patchbay or at least multi-pin connectors on the rear so everything could be wired to one easily.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
Nice concept but for $50k I would have expected a patchbay or at least multi-pin connectors on the rear so everything could be wired to one easily.
It has D-subs.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
IT'S LAID OUT LIKE A VINTAGE 1604.

This was the inspiration, obviously.

I wonder if they'll give an option of having faders like the vintage one....? That would be definitely much more cooler than the normal fader heads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search