The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

I've been thinking about this thing a lot since seeing the video last night. I find it odd that everybody is wetting themselves over a console that, just a few years ago, any serious engineer would have way too small to use for anything but overdubs or as a sidecar...

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

There's this software called Pro Tools that kind changed things....you should check it out
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
This is EXTREMELY cool, but I think API didn't think this thing through.

I wish them the best, but a Toft ATB killer is what API should've developed.

I hope this doesn't come off as bitching because it really isn't. API is awesome, and although I'm excited that they released a new console....it's something a lot of people won't be buying.
I'll have to disagree with you on all points there.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I've been thinking about this thing a lot since seeing the video last night. I find it odd that everybody is wetting themselves over a console that, just a few years ago, any serious engineer would have way too small to use for anything but overdubs or as a sidecar...

Do 32 channels and it's a dream console IMO. Screw the automation, and get back to an old school great sounding discrete board.
Old 17th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Thanks for the pics...

Didn't they get the preamp and panpot locations all mixed up?! LOL

-T
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Count me in! heh
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I know you've been looking for a console Thrill. Are you considering the API?
A 1608 is too small and limited for me.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's just a matter of time before someone comes up with an affordable 8-bus 500-series bucket with faders to mount all our modules in. API will not be the one to give us this.

Brad
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Exciting!

So the cat's out of the bag, eh?

We are VERY looking forward to the 1608! Checking it out IN PERSON this week. Everybody knows how much of an API addict I am. A certified junkie. I grind up 2520 op-amps and huff them!

So, this is a dream come true for a guy like me.

As leading API dealers, all of us here at Sonic are excited and pleased to be able to offer the 1608!

THE ANALOG RECORDING CONSOLE IS BACK, IT'S PISSED OFF AND TAKING NAMES!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Thanks for the pics...

Didn't they get the preamp and panpot locations all mixed up?! LOL

-T

That is my only main complaint. Well.. that, and I guess you are doing all your monitoring in your DAW during tracking. It's not inline, or split from what I see. Just a mixing console.

During tracking you could go pre, eq, fader, to DAW... the monitor levels, etc in the DAW. Then, when mixing... just come straight down the line in and hit the EQ and the fader, pan, inserts, etc. I guess I am still sucker for the inline philosophy when it comes to tracking. When I am tracking I just really want to be able to MIX with those big faders right in front of me and not have to be VERY careful not to bump one and mess up the levels on the take.... :(

p.s. Sure would like the tour though. Is it still over there guys? I would love to swing by next week.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
This is EXTREMELY cool, but I think API didn't think this thing through. With $50k budget you have a more than a handful of options of nice consoles. Right now there are less people willing to spend $50k on a nice board.
I think where they messed up is that people probably don't need it so much for tracking but will want it for mixing. EQ's on every channel? I just need them on the busses. If I need some simple fix on a single oddball track in a buss, I don't mind using something outboard or ITB.

OTOH, with this console. If I wanted to put EQ and comps on all the buses the visual layout is hokey.

Also, having the vpr alliance and then going short card on the preamps is kind of cheesey... or I would feel that way if I was a VPR member.

Overall though, it is very nice. About double my budget, but it's very cool. If I had the dough, I'd probably be more inclined to go Tonelux with just the busses, master, 24 inputs and a few auxes. I don't need all the pres or even but a few EQ's at this point.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OTOH, with this console. If I wanted to put EQ and comps on all the buses the visual layout is hokey.
IT'S LAID OUT LIKE A VINTAGE 1604.

This was the inspiration, obviously.

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is perfect for me - as i have been looking for a decent condition 1604 for years to go with my Neve, the prices have been on these vintage consoles have been going insane and usually need a bit of work.. - i'll have to start saving....
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja View Post
I think where they messed up is that people probably don't need it so much for tracking but will want it for mixing. EQ's on every channel? I just need them on the busses. If I need some simple fix on a single oddball track in a buss, I don't mind using something outboard or ITB.

Also, having the vpr alliance and then going short card on the preamps is kind of cheesey... or I would feel that way if I was a VPR member.

Overall though, it is very nice. About double my budget, but it's very cool. If I had the dough, I'd probably be more inclined to go Tonelux with just the busses, master, 24 inputs and a few auxes. I don't need all the pres or even but a few EQ's at this point.

I don't mind the layout so much... but I do think that this console is perfect for neither tracking or mixing. It seems to kind of sit right in the middle and say "hey... do you want to be able to say you have an API console in your studio?" and "I do sound amazing... you won't mind all the signal flow workarounds after you hear me"... and "DAW control... re-call.... what is that, don't you like the White Stripes??!?!?". heh

Seems like it's right around the same price as the Wunder which DOES have some "inline" type features that allow for good tracking ergonomics and is surely it's sonic equal... though more "neve-eqse" of course. Not sure that one is selling very well either though... I still haven't heard of anyone with it. The 500 series flexability is way cool on the API... that might give it an edge.

All that said... again... would love to check it out. Maybe I am missing something in my estimation of it's abilities that is based on the pics and descriptions so far....
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I don't mind the layout so much... but I do think that this console is perfect for neither tracking or mixing. It seems to kind of sit right in the middle and say "hey... do you want to be able to say you have an API console in your studio?" and "I do sound amazing... you won't mind all the signal flow workarounds after you hear me"... and "DAW control... re-call.... what is that, don't you like the White Stripes??!?!?". heh

My first pro set up was a Scully 2" 16 track machine, and a Tangent 16X4 board. To switch between mic and tape input, I had to pull out the mic cable and plug in the tape return cable. Still, I made it work fine. And it sounded great!
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Do 32 channels and it's a dream console IMO. Screw the automation, and get back to an old school great sounding discrete board.
It's expandable to 32 channels. An extra 16 channels runs just under 40k.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

API 1608 Plotter drawings!

Here is a high res drawing of the input module! More to come!

Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Master Section Drawing!

Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohn View Post
It's expandable to 32 channels. An extra 16 channels runs just under 40k.
$90K is still alot of cake with no moving fader automation and only 8 group busses.

Not to mention a limited amount of auxes.

It comes out to almost $3k a channel.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
My first pro set up was a Scully 2" 16 track machine, and a Tangent 16X4 board. To switch between mic and tape input, I had to pull out the mic cable and plug in the tape return cable. Still, I made it work fine. And it sounded great!
Yeah, yeah, yeah... and my Dad had to walk 2 miles to school in the snow with no shoes every morning too. But how does that affect my Ford Escape that I drive to work in every day today?? heh heh heh heh
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

API 1608 High Res Drawing

This one was a bit big to post!

Check out this Link http://www.racknrollaudio.com/1608/1608plot.jpg

We are very excited about being one of the exclusive reps for this product!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
$90K is still alot of cake with no moving fader automation and only 8 group busses.

Not to mention a limited amount of auxes.

It comes out to almost $3k a channel.
Well if your spending 90k...might as well go 105k and get 32 channel moving faders. At that point it's moot.

But at that point your now competing with an SSL AWS900+. <----Which hasn't done that bad. But in this API config, the extra 8 channels - popularity of the pres/eq as well as the 500 format - I would say the API might easily have the edge.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Well if your spending 90k...might as well go 105k and get 32 channel moving faders. At that point it's moot.
You are talking about $110K for 8 groups and 32 inputs?

Man that's a tough pill to swallow for anyone doing any serious mixing.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
speaking of which does anyone know if the moving faders will read/write DAW moves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post

i think it's visualized more as a side car and for tracking, but yeh, it's up there.

would make sense for these small format consoles to offer optional stereo channels for stems and efx returns, no? still have the small footprint and more channels.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Shame about the in-line thing. Would be a great rock board with 32 inputs expandable to 64.

Ah well - ya get what you pay for. I hate thatheh

Quote:

Oh and by the way...it's a tougher pill to swallow if your NOT doing any serious mixing.
Old 17th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
During tracking you could go pre, eq, fader, to DAW... the monitor levels, etc in the DAW. Then, when mixing... just come straight down the line in and hit the EQ and the fader, pan, inserts, etc. I guess I am still sucker for the inline philosophy when it comes to tracking. When I am tracking I just really want to be able to MIX with those big faders right in front of me and not have to be VERY careful not to bump one and mess up the levels on the take
If it has a prefade direct output then you can go pre to tape. Montitor off the console or at least use the 8 auxes (which is more than reasonable) for cans mixes.
If you want to monitor with your processing on the direct path to tape then you have to monitor in the box.

No biggy - have your DAW outputs on the patchbay and patch into...oh wait you can't really, cos if you patch into a spare pair of channel so any playback from DAW can be fed to the cans via the auxes, then you are down to 14 channels for tracking which is a bitch...and you can't bring DAW returns into the aux inputs as you can't send them to the auxes for cans...

Hmm I'll keep designing my own console....it'll only be 10years off but it'll be perfect! LOL

-Tom
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it has a prefade direct output then you can go pre to tape. Montitor off the console or at least use the 8 auxes (which is more than reasonable) for cans mixes.
But then you wouldn't be able to drive the channel "pre fade". What fun is that?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
But then you wouldn't be able to drive the channel "pre fade". What fun is that?
well you could always buy a bunch of ATTYs.
Old 17th August 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Absolutely true and thats what sucks about it...which is why my own modules I am working on have a direct output with level control that is patchable pre/post insert and channel EQ...

A 2nd channel output feeds the mixing and routing section. Its like split and inline hybrid I guess...

It strikes me that a lot of designers these days are stuck between real console/recorder land and DAWs. Design for one and cut the other one out..so most produce what I would call typical signals flows associated with classic recording consoles.

Now that I think about this API board - while it looks great I don't think I like that much. LOL

-T
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It strikes me that a lot of designers these days are stuck between real console/recorder land and DAWs. Design for one and cut the other one out
Well in all fairness API still makes a REAL console mixers they're just alot more coin.

But what WE really want is something for nothing (ie Chinese).heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search