The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

I don't expect Neve to put out a 500-series module either, but since the VPR Alliance was announced Rupert Neve Designs has been listed as a pending member, indicating something may be to come...
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I don't expect Neve to put out a 500-series module either, but since the VPR Alliance was announced Rupert Neve Designs has been listed as a pending member, indicating something may be to come...
That is good to know D, good to know.

Interestingly, one of the oldest FAQ's in Pro Audio is "Can I put a Neve module in an API rack?" or vice-versa. The answer has always been no.

But maybe a new dawn is rising!
Old 10th April 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
Any word on the "6TKAUX" thing?
The 6TKAUX is a single set of stereo inputs is paralleled with the L/R on the first set of 5.1 inputs. This is the "5.1 Center Section Monitoring" API is talking about in the brochure.
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w View Post
Well....where do you think the crowds will be this year at AES??
at home, weeping....
Old 2nd July 2008
Gear Maniac

The following is written by Stephen Murphy for pro audio review:

(API 1608 16-Channel Analog Console, by Stephen Murphy)

''If the possibilities for this section (and the console in general) aren’t already swimming about in your head and expanding exponentially, let me help you along. Not only are these eight mild-mannered “echo returns” really Super Inputs with multiple switch-selectable input sources and full channel-strip solo/mute and routing control, they are also — Tada! — normaled to the console’s eight open 500 Series slots. Add in eight 512C preamps and, well, you can guess the rest...''

What does he mean?
Old 2nd July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
What does he mean?
What it means is you can have 8 more fully functional mic inputs giving you a total of 24 tracking inputs.
I'm putting all weird funky stuff in my extra 500 slots starting with a pair of the Standard audio "Level-Or's"

Old 2nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Any news on the automation?
Old 3rd July 2008
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Any news on the automation?
I would like to know this as well.
Old 17th July 2008
Gear Addict

Anyone have some mixes on the web through one of these babies..
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
Anyone have some mixes on the web through one of these babies..
I would LOVE to hear it too.
Since it came out I cannot think about anything but that as my "goal" in life lol.
It seems so awesome, allthough I always really liked the neve sound, this thing just look and seems so much better than the rupert neve 5088 and the genesys. IMO.
Old 26th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
I would like to know this as well.
When i went to check out the API 1608 i was told that the auto would not include moving faders or automation for groups but will follow PTools control. I was also told that there are no plans for faders for the group section.

Also ETA is next year.

In the New products section there is post that says Flying Faders II is finally out. Might be worth checking out for people that own this.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
In the New products section there is post that says Flying Faders II is finally out. Might be worth checking out for people that own this.
thanks thrill, will do.

it's about time.
Old 4th November 2008
Api 1608

Is there any 1608 (or other API console) that can comment on API's reliability? As new product, and over the years... ?

Let me know please...

David C.
Old 4th November 2008
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Still want to know if it's inline and how many inputs to mix though...?
The way we have ours setup is, can mix split console or inline via patcharound. But we have 32 channels so split is kinda nice usually. Plus there are 8 sub master inputs, 8 echo send/return etc.
Old 4th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Is there any 1608 (or other API console) that can comment on API's reliability? As new product, and over the years... ?

Let me know please...

David C.
Aside from a brand new switch being a bit sticky which fixed itself after a day and a PSU cable connector being a bit wonky[loose],no issues.everything works perfectly

The only real issues I had with the old 3288 was eq's crapping out and needing cleaning/reseating..no issues w/ the new eq's though
Old 6th November 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Aside from a brand new switch being a bit sticky which fixed itself after a day and a PSU cable connector being a bit wonky[loose],no issues.everything works perfectly

The only real issues I had with the old 3288 was eq's crapping out and needing cleaning/reseating..no issues w/ the new eq's though
How different did your 3288 sound to the new 1608 ?
Old 6th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post
How different did your 3288 sound to the new 1608 ?
The 1608 overall bussing architecture is cleaner, [ a lot more headroom] quieter on every level which I would equate to the more modern Legacy sound.
because of that,some people will say it aint the same as the old ones..
I know the old sound well.i'm not the slightest bit concerned.for me it's better
the eq's sound right.the 2 buss sounds especially cool when you really smack it
[Try that in PT]
i've been bouncing btw this and a vintage Neve and they are both a blast to work on..especially great not to have to deal w/ funky switches and pots on the API.
I've been doing some ITB things for the past couple days and man, going back to the consoles is like
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Wha?! The price for the 1608 in the UK just went up from £28k to £35k (ex-VAT). Has the spec changed?
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

No but the exchange rate is down the toilet - these prices were fixed when the pound/dollar rate was up around 1.80-2.00 now it's down below 1.50. - difference between say 2.00 and 1.50 = 1.33 Actual rate change is approx 187.50 to 1.50 resulting (divide it by the price rise of 1-1.25) in a 25% price increase so welcome to the UK recession....

It will be interesting to see if UK manufacturers sales benefit from this situation.
All the best

Andy
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
No but the exchange rate is down the toilet - these prices were fixed when the pound/dollar rate was up around 1.80-2.00 now it's down below 1.50. - difference between say 2.00 and 1.50 = 1.33 Actual rate change is approx 187.50 to 1.50 resulting (divide it by the price rise of 1-1.25) in a 25% price increase so welcome to the UK recession....

It will be interesting to see if UK manufacturers sales benefit from this situation.
All the best

Andy
It is SSL time now.
They should be 30% cheaper in US Dollars, but I'm sure they are not.
If yes, someone from SSL please confirm it.

US gears are really expensive now in Europe.
Old 8th March 2018
I'm reviving this old thread b/c I could not find one on how the API 1608 actually SOUNDS and its WORKFLOW. So, if you'll humor me, please tell me - USERS ONLY - about this unit!
I'd like to try to steer the rest of this conversation to ACTUAL USERS and their feedback rather than just speculation.

Or... if someone knows of an existing thread like this, please point me there.

Thanks 'slutz!

Old 8th March 2018
I think the 1608 console sounds great, but I'm so surprised no one has complained about the lack of group channels. I mean for the price of this mixer, common. This makes the Neve 5088 a much more flexible unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search