The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

The expander looks great. That whole package is a home run IMO.
Old 19th October 2007
Beautiful! What are the dimentions of the expander? I can picture a workstation right in the middle...
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
The 1608 console weighs 238 pounds.

The 1608 expander weighs 162 pounds.

Still, ..... so far they have been called pretty phat.
Man too heavy in this time and age.
I know it is solid piece of junkheh
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

Once the DAW automation is in place....Pigpen will own a new console.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

to api people,

what is the price of the 1608 (main and expander) in europe? when will it be available?

to anyone else,

what would you think about a 1608 and its 16 channel expander, with a digidesign 8 fader d-command sitting in the middle?
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
what would you think about a 1608 and its 16 channel expander, with a digidesign 8 fader d-command sitting in the middle?
the thought has crossed my mind, or the d.command off to the side on a pedestal with wheels, like a multitrack remote.
Old 23rd October 2007
Anyone know the dimentions (width) of the expander?
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
to api people,

what is the price of the 1608 (main and expander) in europe?
Golden Age Music Pro Audio says that the price is 38134 euros for the main unit and 30854 euros for the expander.

Last edited by E Orjatsalo; 23rd October 2007 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: dollar keeps on getting weaker apparently...
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Nut

Has anyone (other than API folks) had a chance to use/listen to one of these?

I would love to see a 1608 vs. RND 5088 shootoff.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

has anyone sorted out anything regarding monitoring while tracking? can that 7/8 "to bus" be used? what about aux returns or bus inputs? just trying to figure out a way to make it work. I would def. be tracking thru this. (I have a Trident series 24 now w. a huge monitor section, so I'm spoiled.)
Old 28th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschnier View Post
has anyone sorted out anything regarding monitoring while tracking? can that 7/8 "to bus" be used? what about aux returns or bus inputs? just trying to figure out a way to make it work. I would def. be tracking thru this. (I have a Trident series 24 now w. a huge monitor section, so I'm spoiled.)
Just monitor via your DAW. Most audio interfaces worth their salt will have some kind of direct monitoring with negligible latency now. This is the way things seem to be going now. Even new boards like the SSL Duality doesn't have a "Mix B/in line" monitoring section.
Old 28th October 2007
If I had a need for a console in my studio, I would highly consider this one. It really looks great and the API sound is something I like more than the SSL with their 900 series. However many of us project studio types, a couple of lunchboxes, API compressor and EQ, and we would be all set to get the API sound. Then the Waves API plug ins for touch ups while mixing.
Old 28th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alschnier View Post
i understand each channel has 2 outputs, so you can go to your DAW for recording and to the cue mix simultaneously. so yes, you can 'monitor' while tracking.

7/8 to bus i think is it, but maybe someone else who's actually worked on one can pipe in.
Old 24th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I love this API... with the 16 Channel Expander

I think it must have faders for the subs (included in the price). It is really strange. You need faders for the Subs when you are mixing... or am I the only one who use them?

Thank you API.
Now I am thinking about my new console and in my mind sounds "...API...1608 with channel expander.... buy it.... buy it....
...and ask them for the Subs faders......."

Best regards.
Old 26th November 2007
nek
Gear Maniac

To anybody who can answer these:

In the “CR Source” section of the Master Section, there is button marked “6TKAUX” – What does that do exactly? Please explain.

Also, on the back, there is a black hole marked “EXPANDER” – What is it going to be used for? A/D? Sync for Auto.?

Thanks.
Old 28th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Api 1608 with expander

I love it

I need a 32 channels, and I only see API......

.....rock......
Old 30th December 2007
diagram/schematics

Any diagram/schematics around yet?? It's crucial for me to see one...

Are the firsts consoles manifactured and delivered? Anyone have a real one yet??

Still earning $ here, will probably order one in a few weeks!

DC
Old 30th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
To anybody who can answer these:

In the “CR Source” section of the Master Section, there is button marked “6TKAUX” – What does that do exactly? Please explain.

Also, on the back, there is a black hole marked “EXPANDER” – What is it going to be used for? A/D? Sync for Auto.?

Thanks.
Hello,

good question about the 6 trkaux button... I also wonder what is that input...

The hole marked expander is for direct connection of the optionnal 16 tracks expander...

And I have another question... Can the channel meters be feeded from POST EQ / PRE FADER??

DC
Old 31st January 2008
nek
Gear Maniac

Any word on the "6TKAUX" thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

have these not started shipping yet??
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Still haven't shipped. I'm sitting on my hands right now. I at least wish I knew what the final back plate layout is going to be so I could order the rest of my cabling.

As far as the 6trk aux, that's their equivalent of 2trk inputs (for your CD player, from the 2 track of your daw, outs of of your tape machine, etc). Only it's set up for 5.1. Hence 6. The board itself isn't set for 5.1 panning, but it will pass 5.1 audio from the 6 track section through to the main monitors if that's how you're working.

-marc alan goodman
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Automation

Any word on the feature set of the automation yet? Will it have DAW control?
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Nut

ok

lets say i wanna ad a rupert neve eq (500-series) in channel one how do i connecht it an is it possible?
Old 26th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by padddywood View Post
ok

lets say i wanna ad a rupert neve eq (500-series) in channel one how do i connecht it an is it possible?
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Indeed!

Quote:
ok

Mr Neve doesn't make 500 series EQs but I assume any 500 series eq would just slot in like it would in a 500 series rack.
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Indeed!

Mr Neve doesn't make 500 series EQs but I assume any 500 series eq would just slot in like it would in a 500 series rack.
Avedis makes a Neve-like 500 module. Of course the desk has a 24-slot 500 penthouse. In the first 16 you'd do EQs or comps, because there are pres already in the channels. But the cool thing about the last 8 is that you CAN put pres, API or other, in there. Or EQ's comps, etc.

I'd be a little wary or putting too many other brand modules in though, due to power issues.
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Nut

so the 5033 portico will not fit into the penthouse over the channel in the api 1608 or what ?

And lets say i put a other thing i that fits how do i connect it????????
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
Avedis makes a Neve-like 500 module. .
The Avedis E27 EQs are much closer to an API EQ than a Neve. Unless you mean the new mic pre they have released, but we were talking eqs.
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
so the 5033 portico will not fit into the penthouse over the channel in the api 1608 or what ?

And lets say i put a other thing i that fits how do i connect it????????
No the 5033, if you have a vertical one, fits in Rupert's own portico lunchbox. (If you have a horizontal one, that is a stand-alone unit that does not go in any slotted rack system).

Not every modular system is a 500 type. API invented the 500-style module decades ago, and there are more 500 modules now than ever, being made by many many companies, but Neve is not one of them (and likely never will be -- but never say never). Neve (AMS Neve) has it's own classic modular system for 1073 and 1081 modules. Huge bucks.

If you get any API 500 style module, it slides right in to the open slot and clicks in. Now, let me guess, you are looking at the picture and you don't see open slots. Well that's because the stock 1608, typically pictured, comes fitted with 16 EQ modules already in there, filling the spaces. In that slanted, vertical area above the channels, but below the meters. On the right, there are extra 500 spaces, but they are covered up with blank panels. This is so your system doesn't have gaping open holes in it like missing teeth. You want to keep dust out. So you remove the cover-panel and slide the module in and then screw the module down.

There's a little gear 101 for you from professor Drew
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
The Avedis E27 EQs are much closer to an API EQ than a Neve. Unless you mean the new mic pre they have released, but we were talking eqs.
Thanks for the correction. I'm not super up-to-speed on the Avedis stuff. Heard great things about it though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search