The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 19th September 2007
  #361
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
if it did this prefader it would rock. you could monitor tape returns through the big faders if they had the extra line amp; but from jeff at VK's description, and the fact it says 'AUX 7/8 to bus', it doesn't look like it.

'to bus' does make tracking and monitoring on the console possible though. things like this and alternate inputs to echo returns/auxs lead me to believe these guys did a bit of R&D. i would't be surprised if they had a coupla surprises up their sleeves.

Dear API, to act as a tape return, make that 'to buss' switch a 'FROM LINE' switch and I order a 1608 right now!

In fact, that might probably be easily modified if the line input has his own amp and transfo (ie not shared with the mic input like in cheaper mixers).

Please, we all would love to have a signal path diagram!!

BTW, you have my vote for the old style vintage fader knobs!! Maybe as an option? It looks so cool...


David C.
Old 19th September 2007
  #362
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Yeah...in the video, Dan, I think it is, says, "...in effect, it gives you a dual input to the channel."
Except that it's a dual output

If it was dual input you'd have another 16 inputs for mixdown...but I don't see any Aux 7/8 inputs per channel....
Old 19th September 2007
  #363
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
UNCLE!!

OK all you GS'ers, we took a break to help you sort this echo send thing out, as there is a bit of confusion on the function. Here we go...

The 1608 has very traditional echo sends for 1-6.

Sends 1-4 are mono sends with On/Off, a level control pot and the audio switchable pre/post main fader.

Send 5-6 is a stereo send with On/Off, level and pan and the audio switchable pre/post main fader.

Now – here’s the fun part.

Send 7-8 is also a stereo send with On/Off, level and pan and the audio switchable pre/post main fader.
In addition there is a TO BUS switch that, when engaged, sends the audio post level and pan to the first four multi track bus assign switches (1-4). Like the echo send, this feed is either pre or post the main fader, giving the option to derive another feed to the main buses without disturbing the main fader feed to buses 5-8, but it follows the level and pan of the 7-8 send.
If the 7-8 switch is on, the audio is ALSO then sent to echo sends 7-8.

So….it’s not a tape return…it’s not a direct out… it’s not even a Soundtracs !

Hey… we didn’t intend cause confusion with the possibilities of this send, especially since the VK video is not real clear, but it was not intended to be the replacement for the official description, either. See you all at the AES we hope.

Regards,
Old 19th September 2007
  #364
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
In addition there is a TO BUS switch that, when engaged, sends the audio post level and pan to the first four multi track bus assign switches (1-4)

So….it’s not a tape return…it’s not a direct out… it’s not even a Soundtracs !
So, if this is derived from the same audio that is on the main fader, this is for picking up extra effects or cue send outputs?
Old 20th September 2007
  #365
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
In addition there is a TO BUS switch that, when engaged, sends the audio post level and pan to the first four multi track bus assign switches (1-4). Like the echo send, this feed is either pre or post the main fader, giving the option to derive another feed to the main buses without disturbing the main fader feed to buses 5-8, but it follows the level and pan of the 7-8 send.
If the 7-8 switch is on, the audio is ALSO then sent to echo sends 7-8.

So….it’s not a tape return…it’s not a direct out… it’s not even a Soundtracs !
Well...I'm in stunned silence, really. Guess I'll sleep on it and see what uses I can think up for this? Anybody out there been dying for this feature, or know when they'd use it??? Do tell...

Thanks for stopping by, API, and explaining it to us directly. thumbsup You cleared up the confusion about what the TO BUS does. Now I just have a different kind of confusion, though, and several questions that all start with the word WHY...???

Hmmmmmmm... is this the board for me? Stock...I don't think so. No board is going to be everything to everybody...but, there are now quite a few things I would change on the 1608. Seriously need a signal flow chart! But then, do you really want to be modding such a brand new thing of beauty?

Anyway...goodnight.

Raal...heard any AMS rumblings???
Old 20th September 2007
  #366
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Anybody out there been dying for this feature, or know when they'd use it??? Do tell...
well, with 7-8 'on' you could make a coupla extra sends w/ pan and fader if you've used up aux sends 1-8, 'but it follows the level and pan of the 7-8 send' as API Sez mentioned, so these xtra sends would be kinda limited, but i guess they could pull you through an emergency.

Quote:
Raal...heard any AMS rumblings???
no.
Old 4th October 2007
  #367
Gear Addict
 
lefthando's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Well...I'm in stunned silence, really. Guess I'll sleep on it and see what uses I can think up for this? Anybody out there been dying for this feature, or know when they'd use it??? Do tell...
Could this not be the preamp output attenuator everyone's been asking about? You could ride the mic pre hot, set the 7/8 aux to 'pre-fader/to bus', then use it to attenuate your signal to prevent overload on the DAW. Then return from the DAW to the insert return, and monitor out the main fader.


Also, maybe one could use this on mixdown. Often, reverbs and echos are actually plug-ins on an AUX track in PT. This will give you a simple means to route your aux directly into the interface and subsequently to your PT aux track. All the while retaining the aux 7/8 to an outboard unit as well. Kinda like the small fader on an SSL.
Old 4th October 2007
  #368
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Send 7-8 is also a stereo send with On/Off, level and pan and the audio switchable pre/post main fader.
In addition there is a TO BUS switch that, when engaged, sends the audio post level and pan to the first four multi track bus assign switches (1-4). Like the echo send, this feed is either pre or post the main fader, giving the option to derive another feed to the main buses without disturbing the main fader feed to buses 5-8, but it follows the level and pan of the 7-8 send.
If the 7-8 switch is on, the audio is ALSO then sent to echo sends 7-8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando View Post
Could this not be the preamp output attenuator everyone's been asking about? You could ride the mic pre hot, set the 7/8 aux to 'pre-fader/to bus', then use it to attenuate your signal to prevent overload on the DAW. Then return from the DAW to the insert return, and monitor out the main fader.
Absolutely. BUT...you can only, and must, route it to Busses 1-4. You're not getting a direct output on each channel, so you're only going to have four returns coming from the DAW in this situation. Well...as I understand it, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando View Post
Also, maybe one could use this on mixdown. Often, reverbs and echos are actually plug-ins on an AUX track in PT. This will give you a simple means to route your aux directly into the interface and subsequently to your PT aux track. All the while retaining the aux 7/8 to an outboard unit as well. Kinda like the small fader on an SSL.
Not sure I totally follow you here, but...it certainly does offer flexibility. Almost too much for a console with only 8 Busses. The way I understand the signal flow of this, you could have the following outputs with one channel using Aux 7/8 and To Bus:

*Main Channel (+ assign to Bus 5-8)
*Bus 5-8
*Echo Send 7/8 (+ To Bus engaged)
*Bus 1-4

I don't know? Without the Aux 7/8 switch engaged, the To Bus seems like a quasi Aux 9/10. Cool...but it means you start to lose your busses to use it. I'm sure it will definitely have its uses. Will just have to spend some time with it and see.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it to AES.... Just can't swing it. So calling all API 1608 interested, AES attending Gearslutz: Please check it out thoroughly and give us some feedback. Automation? Automation? Automation?

Raal, are you attending? You've certainly showed interest here. If you're going, please try to give us a good low-down.
Old 4th October 2007
  #369
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Raal, are you attending? You've certainly showed interest here. If you're going, please try to give us a good low-down.
saw it today. even better looking in person! today was setup so i didn't want to bug too much but i'll ask 'em tomorow. fader automation will be sometime next year.
Old 4th October 2007
  #370
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Cheers mate!

Glad you got there safe and sound. Bug the sh*t out of them...and have FUN!!!
Old 6th October 2007
  #371
Lives for gear
spent a little time on it today. as far as i could tell at a trade show, the EQs sounded like APIs, the faders felt nice, and the features are what has already been discussed here. no new info really, sorry Realtugs. they're on back order so somebody likes them. i think blackbird bought about 2 or 3. EQs are stepped (like they've always been) so recalls shouldn't be too hard.
Old 8th October 2007
  #372
Lives for gear
 
GearHunter's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
they're on back order so somebody likes them. i think blackbird bought about 2 or 3. EQs are stepped (like they've always been) so recalls shouldn't be too hard.
We commited to five. At least two spoken-for but I think three. Two still available. Get 'em while they're hot!

RAAL! Dang it if I had known you were going to be at AES, I would have tried to make it down! Phooey!

Why don't you come up to Vermont this week and see some pretty trees -- and gear!

(Of course I'm assuming that when you say you have been playing with the 1608 it's at AES...yes? No?)
Old 8th October 2007
  #373
Gear Addict
 
Capstan Cappy's Avatar
 

yumm yumm
Old 9th October 2007
  #374
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
RAAL! Dang it if I had known you were going to be at AES, I would have tried to make it down! Phooey!

Why don't you come up to Vermont this week and see some pretty trees -- and gear!
my plane leaves tomorrow bro, but thanks. the tequila will be waiting for you if you come down my way though... heh
Old 9th October 2007
  #375
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Anybody get some scoop on automation features?

ie. can faders follow DAW moves?
Old 9th October 2007
  #376
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Anybody get some scoop on automation features?

ie. can faders follow DAW moves?
i got the sense they were working on it, and planned to include that feature.
Old 9th October 2007
  #377
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

I kinda feel like Armando now...

The API...I'm getting it.
Neve...I'm getting right now.

Hmmm would be nice...API on the way in...Neve coming out.

Sigh
Old 11th October 2007
  #378
Here for the gear
 

2500 bus compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
I kinda feel like Armando now...

The API...I'm getting it.
Neve...I'm getting right now.

Hmmm would be nice...API on the way in...Neve coming out.

Sigh
saw the 1608 at the show looks and feels awesume " it will be mine oh yes it will be mine",just thought how cool it would be if api would make a 2500 to fit there 500 format .maybe two slots wide .i'd buy two myself if they did.anyone else?
Old 17th October 2007
  #379
Here for the gear
 

Vintage King Nashville API 1608 Demonstration!

Come join us in a party to celebrate the Grand Opening of Vintage King Audio's Nashville Store this Friday, October 19th from 6:30 to 9:00 PM at 512 East Iris, Nashville.

We are also welcoming Pepper Denny to the team.

In addition, we will have the new API 1608 Recording Console on site for demonstrations. If you're in the Nashville area and would like to setup a private API 1608 demo on this Saturday, Sunday, or Monday (only) contact Dave Piechura or Pepper Denny.

For more info contact Dave Piechura, [email protected] or Pepper Denny, [email protected]

Hope to see you there!
Old 18th October 2007
  #380
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

How about some pics of the Expander?
Old 18th October 2007
  #381
Pepper Denny?!?!?! For real?

Wow - that's quite a catch.

-gil
Old 18th October 2007
  #382
Gear Maniac
 
johnbohn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
Just a further comparison with the AWS900 on the auto...

API has not announced the feature set of their automation. Who knows what the API automation will do. Certainly in this day and age, if I were designing an automation system, I would include DAW control.

Anyway it's a wait and see situation. The 1608 looks really good. We'll see if it fills our needs once the desk is finally released.
From what I hear it's going to be a vision automation system.
Old 18th October 2007
  #383
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
1608 Expander pics!

Thanx for your collective patience - a lot of people have been asking for pics of the 1608 expander. We just got the expander loaded up in time to get to AES, so had no finished pictures to put up. It seems a ton of cameras were going off all weekend around the console, you guys should have enough!

Now that it is back at the factory, here you are -

follow this link - API 1608 preliminary stuff
Old 18th October 2007
  #384
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

So Sexy!

Tell us about the automation, will you? Or do you have a pdf online of the vision automation?

Thanks.
Old 18th October 2007
  #385
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
API

What is weight of main console and expander ?

Old 18th October 2007
  #386
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
1608 Weight

The 1608 console weighs 238 pounds.

The 1608 expander weighs 162 pounds.

Still, ..... so far they have been called pretty phat.
Old 18th October 2007
  #387
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Vision Automation? Link to PDF?
Old 18th October 2007
  #388
possible option idea(s) for the expander

1. return module (w aux,inserts & fader) w no pre-amp?

2. since so many people mix to stems for at least a few pairs.....
how about a stereo return module?
Old 18th October 2007
  #389
Gear Addict
 
andygomez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
The 1608 console weighs 238 pounds.

The 1608 expander weighs 162 pounds.

Still, ..... so far they have been called pretty phat.

Pretty Hot And Tempting
Old 18th October 2007
  #390
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygomez View Post
Pretty Hot And Tempting
in person it looks hotter and more tempting.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jsteiger / So much gear, so little time
8
Jack P / Product Alerts older than 2 months
37
SnakeCained / High end
25
RoundBadge / So much gear, so little time
22

Forum Jump
Forum Jump