The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Pardon my ignorance buy what is a 6TK PLAYBACK section? Surround inputs? Is there any 2TK inputs for say, a cd player to A/B mixes?

Sorry for such a green question...
Hey Scott.

Yes, 6 Track Playback is how API refers to it on the rear panel. Then Track=TK on the control surface. Check out the picture below. The first input has both a DB25 connector and Left and Right on XLR's. You can just wire up the left & right of each DB25 connector for two track playback, though.

Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-6trk.jpg  

Last edited by Realtugs; 6th September 2007 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot Picture...Dumbass!!!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Wrench View Post
Well, it looks like the fickle winds of change have blown everyone to the chandler mixer… come back window shoppers…
Wait now

API 1608 thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Chandler mixer thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Winner (to me) = more functionality with great sound as indispensable condition.

It's worth to wait now !
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

YUM!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-1608extrsm.jpg  
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
YUM!!!
Now, if you could just restart Photoshop and put in those old-style API fader caps...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK...here you go. They do look very good on there. Can't see why the couldn't use them? They seem to be made from the same extrusion as their knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-1608ex_of_sm.jpg  
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well...this answers my question about the pricing discrepancies for the 550A's.

API Production Model Discrete 3 Band EQ

Hello surface mount switches. We'll see, I guess? Or hear, more importantly. Hmmmm.

Opinions??? or tutt
Old 11th September 2007
Quote:
Well...this answers my question about the pricing discrepancies for the 550A's.

API Production Model Discrete 3 Band EQ

Hello surface mount switches. We'll see, I guess? Or hear, more importantly. Hmmmm.

Opinions??? or tutt

Now, that explains a lot... If I understand well, there's also a 'band pass filter' ? Should I understand it's a HPF ? probably fix @ 75Hz ?

The only thing missing is the tape return option... I'm so close to order!!!

DC.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

There is a 60Hz HPF on each channel of the console below the pan pot.

The new 550A's band pass filter (and complete circuit) remains true to the original circuit...no operational differences...just the switches. They will now be the same switches as the 550B and the 7600 channel strip's EQ (550A) section.

It will be interesting to see how the loss of the hand wired mojo affects what people hear.

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah...check out Vintage King's 1608 web page. Three videos of the console at the bottom of the page.

API 1608...in the flesh.

heh
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Oh yeah...check out Vintage King's 1608 web page. Three videos of the console at the bottom of the page.

API 1608...in the flesh.

heh
One thing in the video confused me. The switch on aux 7/8 send on each channel that I beleive is labeled "2bus" which leads me to believe that it routes the ? to the two track bus yet the narrator says "it routes to the 8 track bus effectively giving you a 2nd input into the channel". Anybody know what input this routes to what bus for a fact? Also, if API would publish a signal routing diagram for this console it would be a big help.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's actually labelled "to bus" not 2bus. In the vid it says it adds a second input, but I don't get it
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK...here you go. They do look very good on there. Can't see why the couldn't use them? They seem to be made from the same extrusion as their knobs.
Yummy! Thanks.

I especially like the smaller caps on the aux/bus faders. Nice touch
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

My favourite bit is the fader caps in my fabled 32 input monitor/summing section.* By facing the points toward one another, you can put your fingers on top of the black dots for mono operation, but then very easily grab the two points and they'll travel very nicely together/as one for stereo tracks. Me likey!!!

*I haven't gotten around to sending a mail to API to see if this would be a customized po$$ibility, but will when the heat has cooled on them a little bit. I can't see how it would be HUGE money...aside from the double faders, it uses all the same components. Same frame as the main console (w/added benifit of eight extra 500 frames, too). Just move the oscillator output and talkback input on the back of the main center section and add another Elco connector for 32 more inputs. 32 + 32 + 8 echo returns= 72 channels at mixdown!!!

YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! heh
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-mon_sec.jpg   The New API 1608 Console-mon_fade.jpg  
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:

My favourite bit is the fader caps in my fabled 32 input monitor/summing section.* By facing the points toward one another, you can put your fingers on top of the black dots for mono operation, but then very easily grab the two points and they'll travel very nicely together/as one for stereo tracks. Me likey!!!
someone's got their thinking cap on!
Old 12th September 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
someone's got their thinking cap on!
+1
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah...those would be slick, huh?

Just noticed this on the Sonic Circus1608 site under Options:
  • 8 faders may also be fitted to work with the additional 8 inputs. (a.k.a. Echo Returns)
That's one ticked off my wish list...although I REALLY wish the busses could have faders too...oh well.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
  • 8 faders may also be fitted to work with the additional 8 inputs. (a.k.a. Echo Returns)
cool!

it's like we're on a detective mission to unravel the mystery of the 1608 or something, but it appears API thought this one out pretty well. as far as a new analog console goes, i think this guy is going to be pretty hard to beat for the price. if AMS comes out with a contender it would be very interesting, but pricewise, considering what 1073/84/81s cost, it'll doubtfully be able to be in the same bracket. it would be a juicy thing though... gotta admit. something like this with 16 X 1084s would make my hands start shaking for sure.

and if it had DAW-following faders and some sort of recall (even stepped controls or whatever) it would kill. expandable to 32, good. 8 returns with optional faders, good. no automation/recall, bad.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's like we're on a detective mission to unravel the mystery of the 1608 or something, but it appears API thought this one out pretty well.
I know...tough to get the info! This is all I've got today...
  • Weight: 238 lbs
Fairly substantial! Do NOT lift on your own.

Found that here. Might as well give info credit where it's due...because API is giving us squat! The dealers around here are giving us squat! Come on API dealers...surely there isn't an NDA at this point? Nobody can/will shed some light on the AUX 7/8 dual input situation mentioned in the video???
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
whoa, seems like alot for the size no?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

so have we figured out what he meant in that video where he says the 2 bus switch can be engaged on the 7/8 aux to create a 2nd input?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
whoa, seems like alot for the size no?
Well...they did say BUILT LIKE A TANK!!!

Maybe that is shipped weight? All I know is when I grab a loaded lunchbox, I'm always pleasantly surprised by how much it does weigh!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
so have we figured out what he meant in that video where he says the 2 bus switch can be engaged on the 7/8 aux to create a 2nd input?
Well I certainly haven't.

I can understand (kinda) API being too busy to let us know here, but Vintage King...makers and hosts of the video? Dealers of the console??? I'll hazard a guess that at least 30% of people that will buy this console are members of Gearslutz...and probably all watching this thread. Speak up folks!!! Potential customers are ALL ears!

I'm also confused about the video of the rear panel. He says that the 1/4" connectors are duplicated on to the DB25 connectors in the Echo Sends & Program Bus Mix sections. Well why are the 1/4" connectors labelled INPUTS and the DB25's labelled OUTPUTS? Oh my...that certainly doesn't sound "duplicated" to me. It sounds completely the opposite???

Ho-hum,
Old 14th September 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Fairly substantial! Do NOT lift on your own.
i would have felt the weight would have been a bit more?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i would have felt the weight would have been a bit more?
I hadn't given it much thought, to be honest...but at least it's not going to slide around around while tweaking and grooving out!

And Pan, you can break the 250lb mark by filling up the eight expansion slots.

Feel any better?
Old 14th September 2007
500 series nutjob

i was just thinking about what a 500 format card would weight on average and it adds up fast
i guess my not having everything on a 500 format card must save some weight.
maybe the frame is aluminum?
just seems like it should be a bit heavier.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post

If it's like our Soundtracs Megas, then it makes the aux 7/8 level control a feed to tape.

Something like this:
MicPre > EQ > Aux7/8 level > direct out.

If it's like the Soundtracs, then the signal is split from the pre so that it feeds the aux 7/8 level and the channel fader. This would give you an independent monitor mix, but not a true "tape return" monitor mix.

I too would like to see a signal flow chart. This may be a way of creating a true tape return. However, looking at the back panel shots. You could easily wire your studio to create that feature.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i was just thinking about what a 500 format card would weight on average and it adds up fast
i guess my not having everything on a 500 format card must save some weight.
maybe the frame is aluminum?
just seems like it should be a bit heavier.
You'd be surprised at how light you can make structure if it is efficiently designed using light-weight materials (like aluminum). The spacecraft structure I work on is around 10% of the total system weight.

Okay back to audio geekery.

Brad
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

This is a copy and paste from the thread in the So Much Gear section...

In regards to the AUX 7/8 "To Bus" switch, Jeff Leibovich of Vintage King says...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleibo View Post
This feature allows you to send the 7/8 aux send to the two mix. You can use this pre fader for your monitor mix and use your faders to go to tape. It's like having an in-line console. This opens up the door for very advanced routing. Give VK a call to discuss any questions you have on this console.
Pretty cool.thumbsup Definitely workable in a tracking situation...for me, anyway. What do you guys and gals think?

Of course, I'm still going to have to inquire about my extended 32 input/summing section. Stripped down control...nothing fancy.
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-1608ex_check.jpg  
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah...in the video, Dan, I think it is, says, "...in effect, it gives you a dual input to the channel."

Although I'm sure it wasn't his intention, that's a little misleading, no? Isn't it more a dual or split 'path' than dual 'input'? Big difference there to me. tutt I know it's a casual video...it just got mine, and I'd say a few others' hopes up. Anyway...

Still a useful feature...particularly for tracking. Anybody think of any sneaky ways/tricks to use this while mixing?

Oh yeah...I'm afraid without proper dual INPUT, API, I WILL be needing that extra 32 input/summing section!!! No rush, but I thought it best you know before we go any further. heh
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
If it's like our Soundtracs Megas, then it makes the aux 7/8 level control a feed to tape.

Something like this:
MicPre > EQ > Aux7/8 level > direct out.
if it did this prefader it would rock. you could monitor tape returns through the big faders if they had the extra line amp; but from jeff at VK's description, and the fact it says 'AUX 7/8 to bus', it doesn't look like it.

'to bus' does make tracking and monitoring on the console possible though. things like this and alternate inputs to echo returns/auxs lead me to believe these guys did a bit of R&D. i would't be surprised if they had a coupla surprises up their sleeves.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search