The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The New API 1608 Console Consoles
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8068 View Post
Phone calls mean nothing for the “I want one” crowd it’s the people who drop the $50,000 that will realize after they buy one is I just lost $50,000 on a bunch of hype.

I'm sure you must be right, its all hype and the things gonna blow. and everyone is going to hate it. WTF is your issue here?

do you watch leno? letterman? how about movies? Simpsons? e news? anything like that, be honest/
assuming the answer to any of them is yes. sooo
Oh well your a fvcking product, a receptor for hype, marketing and people who want your dollar above all??? you aren't pushing back there? sooo I question your heart on this whole hype issue.

WTF is your REAL problem? cause you really just come off like a pricK,
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
WTF is your REAL problem? cause you really just come off like a pricK
This thread has turned into the Wunder Audio console thread from a few months back:

Wunder Audio console

Same ****...different console involved...

Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hype

s_sibs,

And how many Wunder mixers were sold..........

thenoiseflower,
Your point is....... Maybe I should be saying oooh, aahh I want one ...fuuck
Old 1st September 2007
QRS
Gear Maniac

great piece - but still a preamp without high pass filter....what a shame!!!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
s_sibs,

thenoiseflower,
No sir, what was YOUR point. Than none are going to sell? Or that Someone was going to try to sell you on one so you could tear into them?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
s_sibs,

I'm just pointing out how you seem to find threads about high end consoles and proceed to take a dump on it.

OK...we get it...every high end company that doesn't sell their console for under $2000 is just selling "hype" and everybody that has an interest in a console is a lemming following that "hype"...

Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

hype

thenoiseflower,

Someone will always purchase no matter what the cost......Always

s_sibs,

I didn't say anything about a low ball price for the 1608 but if you read my post I did say something in the range of $18000-30,000 would be a fair price. Would you buy one at $30,000 or just post how cool it looks ooh, aah ????
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you buy one at $30,000 or just post how cool it looks ooh, aah
Where did I post that I thought it looked cool?

I just don't get your fuss is with all of this. You don't agree with their price? OK. Don't buy it. But don't post on a High End forum complaining that you think price is a bit high.

This forum is called the "High end The expensive stuff!" No **** it's expensive. I don't go to a Bentley car dealership and piss and moan that the price is too high for me. Or call people the “I want one” crowd if they show interest in one.

It just seems that you have a hidden agenda with all this drivel.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just put 8068 on your ignore list. Don't let him derail or ruin the thread.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

The 1608 looks to be awesome...but has anyone priced out a Daking 16 channel console?
I would think it would be more in line with the price point people here are wanting...maybe?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Daking, Tonelux, SSL and now API ... when will Shadow Hills join the melee? thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
We recognize that nothing we make, or probably anyone else makes for that matter, is going to be all things to all people. We just enjoy what we are doing and most definitely appreciate the comments, criticisms, complaints and accolades we receive on this forum and others.
Assembled in the US?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
One thing all you guys are forgetting is that this is supposed to be a "RE-ISSUE" of the famed 1604... not something new to revolutionize anolog mixing or rival the SSL AWS-900 board!! It has 4 more group busses than the original. Be happy. thumbsup
vin-gear, I know where you're coming from, and I'm NOT trying to be confrontational...I promise. Just discussing what hopefully will be a wonderful NEW board from a legendary manufacturer. Here goes...

I doubt after many meetings, API's brief became, "Let's RE-ISSUE the 1604, but double the auxes and busses and call it a day." What API has said about the Model 1608's roots is...

"...we introduce the new Model 1608, a full featured small format recording console based on the vintage API 1604 console... The 1608 gives all of the advantages of the 1604 Vintage Consoles while adding new, modern features valuable to today's Engineers, Producers and Musicians."

API has found a way to stay on top of its game for 40 years now. They may not put out radically new products, but they do know how to improve their own tested products without compromising audio and build quality...a la 5500EQ...those Range switches are a very useable new feature. A2D...again, nothing revolutionary, but a very solid product advance nonetheless. I would have loved to have seen them port the conversion end of it into a 500 series module and include a couple of empty slots on the back of the desk too. There are no 500 series converters yet. Why not be the first to do it in their own system? I'm sure they would sell LOADS of them!

So far the added 'new, modern features' include:
  • Double the Auxes/Echo Sends and Returns.
  • Double the Subs/Busses.
  • 5.1 Monitoring.
  • Some form of Vision Automation (details yet to be seen).
  • Comprehensive Metering.
I'm sure there's loads I'm forgeting, but the point is, they're doing a pretty good job in UPDATING a classic, 30 something years on. Things I would have loved to have seen, or remain hopeful we will see...
  • In Line Capabilities.
  • Group/Bus Faders
  • Fader/Solo/Mute Automation. Stored in DAW.
  • Control of DAW Faders/Solos/Mutes.
  • Snapshot recall of the rest of the board. Stored in DAW(as if).

Anyway...all will be revealed soon enough. It will be interesting to see who else has been up to what, come AES. Chandler? The API is just SO bloody sexy, though! Yes it is yet to be heard by the masses, but with a company like API, you kinda have to work under the assumption that they're going to nail it sonically.

I've never heard an API unit that I didn't like...even a 550A-1. I don't own any but I have used them. May not be my weapon of choice, but things could've been a LOT worse.

Good day everybody...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just a FYI about the "market". I was talking to a good friend of mine in Canada who's with L&M. They decided to bring in the SSL AWS900 and showcase it at it's stores. In a period of about 1 month they sold 4 units. That's a 24 channel desk.

So the API price/feature is almost identical, which says to me that there is a viable market for something like this.

Some math:

AWS900 24 ch = $3,700/ ch
API 32 ch with auto = $3,400/ch
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Just a FYI about the "market". I was talking to a good friend of mine in Canada who's with L&M. They decided to bring in the SSL AWS900 and showcase it at it's stores. In a period of about 1 month they sold 4 units. That's a 24 channel desk.

So the API price/feature is almost identical, which says to me that there is a viable market for something like this.

Some math:

AWS900 24 ch = $3,700/ ch
API 32 ch with auto = $3,400/ch
They aren't identical. AWS still has the Total Recall advantage. heh

Having said that, I still think the API is great and I am really interested in getting one for one of my studio rooms.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
I think it was stated that you can access the stereo mix bus on this console. If that's the case then you might can get on of those 24 channel monitor sections from Daking as a sidecar and use it to monitor the multi-track during tracking. A bit of a kludge, but should work well.
As a matter of interest, does anybody know a price for the Daking 24 Channel Monitor unit?

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
And DAW control
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
They aren't identical. AWS still has the Total Recall advantage.
I said identical in the price/feature catagory (I didn't say they have the same features). Each has it's own adv/disadv etc. The point being, there is a market for 100k desks.
Old 2nd September 2007

Quote:

Having said that, I still think the API is great and I am really interested in getting one for one of my studio rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
And DAW control
The API is discrete and expandable to 32, which I see as an advantage... It just all depends on a person's needs.
Old 2nd September 2007
Tape return please!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I would order the API 1608 right away (to upgrade from my old Chilton QM1) if there was at least a really basic tape return section available. Other than thayt, this console is my ultimate (realist) dream!!

As a solution, would it be possible to customize the knobs of the aux 7/8 to be used as a tape return, routed straight in the main L-R summing bus?

Also, the pre/post switches of the aux 1 to 6 could be used to select source between the main fader or tape return (post in both cases).

With those simple (!) modifications, I order one right now!

Another thing, what's the point in the 3 band 550a EQs? Why not 550b? As there's no HPF, I think the 4 band EQ is a must.

Regards,
David Champoux
Studio Champoux
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
As a matter of interest, does anybody know a price for the Daking 24 Channel Monitor unit?

Thanks
This is of course an API thread and they deserve to have their very nice, new product discussed. I only add this since you appear to be seeking a monitor solution for the API 1608.

You should be aware that Daking now offers at least two 24 "Monitor Sections". There is the one on the Daking web page. And a 'new' one that Geoff and Dave designed as a result of discussion I had prior to buying my console.

The new one not on their site is 19" wide (old one is not), has small faders instead of knobs, and rudimentary solo/mute auto by midi. Here is a really bad pic.

I have no idea of the price and it may or may not meet some peoples needs in context of the 1608 since both Daking monitor only have 4 auxes (for example).
Attached Thumbnails
The New API 1608 Console-monitor-section-only-small.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I said identical in the price/feature catagory (I didn't say they have the same features). Each has it's own adv/disadv etc. The point being, there is a market for 100k desks.
i hope we see more consoles aimed at the $50-100K market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
This is of course an API thread and they deserve to have their very nice, new product discussed. I only add this since you appear to be seeking a monitor solution for the API 1608.

You should be aware that Daking now offers at least two 24 "Monitor Sections". There is the one on the Daking web page. And a 'new' one that Geoff and Dave designed as a result of discussion I had prior to buying my console.

The new one not on their site is 19" wide (old one is not), has small faders instead of knobs, and rudimentary solo/mute auto by midi. Here is a really bad pic.

I have no idea of the price and it may or may not meet some peoples needs in context of the 1608 since both Daking monitor only have 4 auxes (for example).
they should put it on their site or start a new thread (don't want to derail this one). the faders and rackability are a nice touch!

Quote:
I really wish console manufacturers like SSL, Neve, API would be more generous in including stereo channels in their modern console offerings. Modern music production has evolved to the point that almost everyone is using a DAW and stereo channels would be a godsend to us.

I've been using the 8 returns on the AWS900 as such but that means no EQ and faders, etc. (24 mono + 4 stereo =32 channels total)

Just a thought. I'd love to get a console that still has a small footprint and has 16 mono + 16 stereo. That would be killer!
+1 thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
s_sibs,

thenoiseflower,
My sources tell me quite a few... and that a well known band absolutely BEGGED for one... but Wunder has not been able to ship any yet.

Perhaps they bit off more than they can chew. I am sure once they get it to the point where they can actually ship them to customers, you will hear some success stories on here.

The couple of times I inquired into this console, they gave me a lot of info... but when I asked for a price... I never got an answer.

I am not busting on them. I think it's wise not to sell, or ship until you have it RIGHT. And from all I have heard... the Wunderbar is going to be around the same price as the 1608 per channel. The only thing the API has on it in my book is all the 500 interchangeability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post

Wow! That is REALLY cool. I had seen the previous montor return.. but that one is awesome. To me that makes the Daking very, very compelling in this market. I love the Daking too because it's not as deep as others. They need to get that monitor section on website!
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Another thing, what's the point in the 3 band 550a EQs? Why not 550b?

the sound, for starters.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
the sound, for starters.

gregoire
del
ubk
Oh man... I disagree here. I have had the new "A" and "B" side by side. They sound as identical as can be on the same frequency and cut/boost.

If you bring vintage into the picture... that's another story... but the new stuff is VERY consistent.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

AWS900 Comparison

Just a further comparison with the AWS900 on the auto...

API has not announced the feature set of their automation. Who knows what the API automation will do. Certainly in this day and age, if I were designing an automation system, I would include DAW control.

Anyway it's a wait and see situation. The 1608 looks really good. We'll see if it fills our needs once the desk is finally released.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Oh man... I disagree here. I have had the new "A" and "B" side by side. They sound as identical as can be on the same frequency and cut/boost.

If you bring vintage into the picture... that's another story... but the new stuff is VERY consistent.

i've only ever used vintage 550a's, parked in a 1604 beside a legacy loaded with 550b's, so there are other factors in the sound i was hearing.

but still, i felt like the a's had a wider and more musical q. the b, when torqued, sounded effected and pointy. it wasn't possible to make something sound bad with the a's, just different.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i've only ever used vintage 550a's, parked in a 1604 beside a legacy loaded with 550b's, so there are other factors in the sound i was hearing.

but still, i felt like the a's had a wider and more musical q. the b, when torqued, sounded effected and pointy. it wasn't possible to make something sound bad with the a's, just different.

gregoire
del
ubk
I have the same experience when I use the reissues side by side. 550a you can crank and it doesn't get nasty. also I totally agree about the q sounding wider and more musical on the 550a.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

To me... vintage "A"'s are the holy grail. Just an amazing EQ. Only thing I like better is a vintage pultec. The new "A's" are also really great to me.. but they just don't quite have the mojo that the vintage ones do, admittedly.

With new "A's" and new "B's" sitting side by side in a 500 series rack, several of us found them to be identical with the obvious exception of the missing bands in the "a".

The 5500 also appears to be sonically identical to the 500 series "B"'s, though I have not done the specific testing comparisons mentioned above.

jmtc... of course!
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
With new "A's" and new "B's" sitting side by side in a 500 series rack, several of us found them to be identical with the obvious exception of the missing bands in the "a".

i can't overlook the fact that when i used 550a's it was in a vintage 1604, and when i used 550b's it was in a new-ish legacy. i'm not just hearing the eq.

ahhh science... is there anything it can't not prove?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS View Post
great piece - but still a preamp without high pass filter....what a shame!!!
Not sure of the details yet, but...if you look at the button/switch below the pan knob on each channel...it says FLTR. Hmmmmm?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search