The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sorbothane blocks Studio Monitors
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

sorbothane blocks

Looking to decouple my monitors from the desk they are on. Someone told me that sorbothane needs to be a specific thickness in relationship to the weight of the speaker. It did not come from a reliable source so i wanted to throw it out here. I was looking at blocks that are .5" think and 1" wide. A pair of Adam A7's will sit on top of them. They are 19lbs each.

here are the blocks

http://www.jmkaudio.com/
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
Looking to decouple my monitors from the desk they are on. Someone told me that sorbothane needs to be a specific thickness in relationship to the weight of the speaker. It did not come from a reliable source so i wanted to throw it out here. I was looking at blocks that are .5" think and 1" wide. A pair of Adam A7's will sit on top of them. They are 19lbs each.

here are the blocks

http://www.jmkaudio.com/

I don't get it--why don't you just call jmk audio? Don't think you could have a more reliable source, or how about the manufacturer??....good luck...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

www.sorbothane.com
Download the size pre weight program.
Have used the 1" by .5" for speakers down to 10 pounds and works great. More weight on the same size compress the material more and gives better decoupling.
I stock Sorbothane up to 5/8" thick, can get 1" thickness.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Also watch the type of sorbothane you use as their are different ratings. We used to use it for turntables on large PA's to stop the feedback. Worked better than guys suspending stuff on rubber bands and various other things.

I also have iso balls made out of the stuff and they work well for other components.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Also watch the type of sorbothane you use as their are different ratings. We used to use it for turntables on large PA's to stop the feedback. Worked better than guys suspending stuff on rubber bands and various other things.

I also have iso balls made out of the stuff and they work well for other components.
Durometer rating from 30 to 70, 30 being the softest.
30 and 50 is what I stock, depending on application.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I don't get it--why don't you just call jmk audio? Don't think you could have a more reliable source, or how about the manufacturer??....good luck...
uhmm. I want real world answers. I don't need some guy telling me, ehh don't worry about it, these will be fine and find out later they're not. Ever meet an appliance salesman??? I come to this site because I want something more then a manufacturers biased opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search