The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux - MX2 modules - Revision E? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Tonelux - MX2 modules - Revision E?

Paul,
noticed that there is a new version of the MX2 module on the website. any tonal differences between the new version and the older versions of the MX2?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Where did you find it? I looked and didn't see it. Haven't talked to Paul in a week.

Point it to me bro.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

from the MX2 page on the Products page, click the "tech notes" or "tech specs" link.

there is the old layout of the card called Rev A-D and a new layout called "Rev E"

looks like it has a dedicated op amp each for pre and post. but i'm not technical. just wondering if it's going to sound similar or identical to the old MX2s.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks.
The early rev drawing shows the op amps standing up, the later rev drawing shows the op amps laying down. I have early rev MX2s and they have 2 op amps per. The earlier versions have the op amps soldered to the vias, the new revs are socket. It's not uncommon to make minor changes to the layout that include various ECOs. hence the new rev. Keeps everything organized.
Everything else for the most part looks the same.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post

there is the old layout of the card called Rev A-D and a new layout called "Rev E"

Many times in history of equipment new revisions didn't bring nothing good to table, just cutting corners.
Hope here is not such case.
Old 21st August 2007
You guys are so mean...

First and foremost, the tone from any of my stuff doesn't change from rev to rev. Because I am using a stable TX240 gain op-amp, the TX-260 driver amp and the TX-100 output transformer, there is no sonic differences to the modules once they are finished.

The REVS go like this for me:

NO REV, usually a protoytpe
REV___ Wishful thinking, sometimes we hit it.
REV A Usually a circuit change, to improve noise, crosstalk, etc.
REV B same
REV C beginning of efficiency mods, to make is easier to assemble, service, install, remove, etc. Occasional error fix (forgotten trace, diode labeled backwards, etc)
REV D onward - always efficiency mods

The only significant change I have ever made was on the EQ, in REV B, I changed the internal gain structure to improve the noise floor 6dB.

The SM2 I changed the LED drive circuit

MX5.1 I added pads for an add on board to access stereo at the same time as surround.

The compressor had all of the wire jumpers fixed and I added a surround link jack on the rear panel.

The racks have changed for mechanical reasons.

I also removed the discrete op-amps from the CR monitor system and replaced them with Burr Brown op-amps because people wanted no color in the monitoring section.

TX-240 has never changed
TX-260 has never changed
TX-100 has never changed.

Other than that, nothing much has changed except the music.

Believe me, I have lived with the "sound" thing my whole life. Owning API was a lesson on "does it sound the same". It never did in that instance because there was 30 years between the old and the new, but it was and is as close as it could possibly get.

I will never make it cheaper just to save money. It isn't worth it and ALWAYS backfires.

Scout's Honor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search