The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converter Advice? Audio Interfaces
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

Converter Advice?

I've been reading a LOT of posts the last few days trying to figure out what my best options for some new AD/DA converters are. I own and operate a studio that by Nashville standards is pretty mediocre, but I live 526 miles north of there (I mapquested it), and for my area - my studio is pretty cool if I do say so. We've been in business just over 2 years, and have been VERY slowly building our equipment list - I'm sure almost all of you can relate. We have a low overhead, and therefore, pass the savings on to our customers. We don't have John McBride's budget for gear. So, when we are facing a major purchase (anything over a grand), we want to know that there isn't ANYTHING on the market that is better for the price.

I’m only mostly ignorant on the subject, so if any of you have any pointers for me, I’d LOVE to hear them.

Currently, we are using a MOTU system. Digital Performer 5, and a 24io. We use it as a “tape machine” during tracking. We have a pretty nice (by mid-Michigan standards) Otari Concept 1 console that does all of our routing, monitoring, headphone mixes, etc…

So, we NEED 24 in and 24 out. 36 in and 36 out would be even cooler – utilizing the full potential of our desk.

Since I’m used to, and feel really comfortable around MOTU and its cuemix console for routing, what would you all think about me buying a 2408 mkIII, and using that as a way into my system for some higher end products? It seems as though the 2408 has about as many different kinds of i/o as I can think of (remember, I’m MOSTLY ignorant). This way, I can run multiple units, and even mix and match brands. Also, I can piece together my system, and buy it at my own pace. Switching from MOTU to exclusively Apogee is going to run me at LEAST $10k. I don’t’ have the kind of $$. What if I went with a nice clock, and then ran one MOTU for the lesser important things, and a selection of higher end things for the more important stuff??? All slaved to a Big Ben or Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX.

Some of the products that I’ve been trying to research and would like to know more about (please only people that have used them, or can link me to a good review):
• The new SSL Alpha-Link 24 io unit. I’d like to hear from Soundscape users too.
• The “Old” Apogee AD8000 (going on ebay for $1200 or so)
• Apogee Rosetta 800

I may be proving my ignorance here, but what about this system – seems to be some pretty good bang for my buck:

• Mac Pro quad 2.66 (already own)
• MOTU 2408 MkIII (already own a PCI-424e card) ($679 sweetwater)
• Big Ben ($1,345.00 sweetwater)
• Apogee AD8000 for the first 8 channels of my console. (1,200 or so on ebay)
• SSL Alpha-Link for channels 9-32 ($2,695.00 sweetwater)
• MOTU 2408 analog i/o for channels 33-36

Total cost for this project:
$5919.00, and could be spread out over months.

Sorry for the LOOOONG post.
Kevin and Elpop

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search