The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundBlaster vs. dB Technologies AB test !
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

SoundBlaster vs. dB Technologies AB test !

..Thought I might get your attention..lol
OK, is it just me or are we all getting a bit tired and pissed off with these "XX vs YY AB listening tests/shootouts" ?
Most of these are conducted under non-calibrated conditions with way too many variables involved.
And posted as bloody MP3s
And...feedbacks are generated by listening...again...in various environments including laptop speakers, iPod earbuds and God knows what else.
Just that I'm an older working engineer and might miss the point in all this, but IMHO these type of evaluations and the responding comments are stupid and childish.
If two quality, high end units are on the testbench..the audible differences are most likely so minute and defined that just the MP3 processing alone would mask it.
Stop the madness already fuuck
Sorry for the rant..
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you don't like it, don't participate. I don't see why it'd bother you.

I myself think the A/B tests are good. Of course it depends on how you look at it.

To me it's one way to challenge what you believe. And that is important. If your belief can't stand the challenge, then you have to think about it.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

::sigh:: Do rants on this subject score some secret "pro" points?

IMHO hearing any audio sample, even in .mp3, is far more helpful than just another post with a series of adjectives such as "warm", "bright", "smooth", etc.

I know I've wasted hundreds (maybe thousands?) of dollars in ebay and shipping fees and resale losses because I never got a chance to hear the thing I never would've bought if someone had been nice enough to upload some solid A vs B demos.

For example, hearing the same voice through the same mic and the same converters and the only difference is the preamp ... that's information my ears can use. I can't thank the people who put in this work enough. And fuuck for discouraging them.

But I suspect the point of this common rant is just to try and look 2cool4school.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

You guys both missed my point heh
I've said " Most of these!
I do support a good listening test, they are serving a purpose and hep making gear buying decisions. I did find the 3daudioinc mic CD very informative, for example.
Don't believe any of us could hear small differences on crappy little computer speakers, listening to low rate MP3s. I can't..Maybe it's just the age thing.
Anyhow...I respect your comments.

best...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search