The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BA 1272 and which Comp/Limiter for tracking Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

BA 1272 and which Comp/Limiter for tracking

I want to use it for vocals, Bass and Acoustic Guitar! Mainly for Latin, Pop and RnB, but also Rock & Blues.

I thought about Manley ELOP, Fatso (which was a recommendation from Disco D (Something like a swiss army knife) RIP), UAudio 2-LA-2.

Other ideas are also welcome! I would love to get a stereopair under 3 k if possible.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

no idea guys? hmm...
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

vari-mu
Old 20th August 2007

I've been using the Aurora GTC2. I like it better than all of the above on vocals and bass... I prefer to use 1176's during tracking and LA2a's during mixing... but, the GTC2 has both fet and opto compression, so I got both flavors in there. I think it's a more versatile unit, because you can also use it on stereo buss.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

What about a Distressor? You can track a whole album with those things, and since you already own a Smart C2, you don't really need it to handle the 2 buss.
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
What about a Distressor? You can track a whole album with those things, and since you already own a Smart C2, you don't really need it to handle the 2 buss.
But, you might want to use the C2 on the drum buss.....
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Distressor might be a good choice because it is vers variable, right?

Tony: would you rate the Aurora over the Distressor for the jobs I need it for? How much does it cost? Is it available for european studios different voltage and different cables!!!???

So, Manley or UAudio would not be your choice? I saw they are not at your website Tony! So the gear available there can give you the flavours the others offer, too? Just a question!
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
Tony: would you rate the Aurora over the Distressor for the jobs I need it for? How much does it cost? Is it available for european studios different voltage and different cables!!!???
The Distressors are good, too... They are about the same money... $2799 for the GTC2. It has a switch on the back for your voltage. I think it would fit your needs better.

Quote:
So, Manley or UAudio would not be your choice? I saw they are not at your website Tony! So the gear available there can give you the flavours the others offer, too? Just a question!
Both the Manley & UA are opto units, and with that in mind I recommended the Aurora as a more versatile alternative. The fact that it has both fet & opto compression inside, I think would make it a better all around unit for you... Sometimes you might like the aggressiveness of the fet compressor more on vocals or bass... other times you might want the silky smoothness of the opto. It's just a button that you would push to switch rather than buying two different units.
Old 23rd August 2007
Trp
Gear Addict

Under 3k?

Used Tube Tech CL 1B (my favorite opto and tracking comp) and a Drawmer 1968. Or two used CL 1Bs.
Old 23rd August 2007
With Latin, pop, etc I'd want something that sounds relatively fast and airy, especially considering the BAE 1272 is fat in the low mids (I've owned the stereo version since 1998)...look @ Buzz Audio, Pendulum, Manley. Manley has the most color, with Pendulum less colored, and Buzz the most neutral. None are very heavy sounding (which in your case is good IMO) and won't fatten lows, but they will retain the air in the signal IME.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

manley Pendulum and Buzz have various comps! which would you recommend?
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
manley Pendulum and Buzz have various comps! which would you recommend?

They are all good...with Manley the Vari Mu is flexible, Pendulum I really like their OCL-2 opto in particular, and anything from Buzz is great...the SOC and Essence Optos are similar to each other (Essence has a bit more euphonic color) and very flexible.
Old 23rd August 2007
Trp
Gear Addict

You can rent all the Pendulum stuff for try out from Jean at Akzent Audio. The ES-8 is very different from the Manley Vari-Mu.

Still think the CL 1B would be a great choice, though.

Have fun!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Distressor might be a good choice because it is vers variable, right?

Haven't heard the Aurora however i do have a Distressor.

I particularly like it on Guitars, Bass, and drum hits. I believe for Vocals you could find something better however it is deffinately usable for tracking vocals.

The thing which makes the Distressor such a good compressor to have is the flexibility of the unit, its a work horse that can work for everything. Also the other cool feature that most other compressors dont have is the 2nd & 3rd harmonic distortion options.

Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

hmm...

thanks for all the info so far!

additional ideas are still welcome. is there noone using ELOP or Fatso for tracking? just curious to get that!

the buzz SOC seems very transparent and neutral, but looks interesting! manley vari mu is a bit too expensive at the moment and pendulum, too! if I could afford more I would also think about Trakker or STC-8 which are dreamunits for me!

will try distressor soon!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

By the way: Any comments about the Chandler Germanium Compressor? Should also be a versatile and hot unit!? Don't know if it is good for vox also???
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Had a new idea some weeks ago:

BAE 1272 followed by Portico Compressor RND 5043 and Portico Tapesimulation 5042!!!

Any comments?
Old 7th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I use the El-op for tracking. When I feel I have to use compression during tracking. I also use the Averil 1272, so I guess they go together.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think an 1176 (purple MC77) or a distressor is more versatile than the ones you mentioned. Of course the LA2A (reissues are good I hear) has it's place but an 1176 is more of the swiss army knife IMO. Wasn't crazy about the Elop when I tried it, can be a bit dark and slow (that's what it is supposed to be I guess) and as someone else said you already have the fat mid low from the BAE neve. I would go with a faster and clearer sounding comp to offset the neve. .02!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search