The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hedd as masterclock Digital Converters
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Hedd as masterclock

I would like to buy an Hedd converter to use it for the AD of my mix and the DA of the monitoring...

The configuration I would do is 192outs to summing box, summing box outputs to Hedd analogs inputs with emulations, then Hedd's AES to 192AES for mixdown print. By the same time, I want to connect 192's AES output to Hedd for monitoring.

I understood from my readings in this forum, that it would probably be better to clock the 192i/o to the Hedd, so I guess I should connect the Hedd's WC out to the first 192 and then use the Loop sync to sync the second 192...

My question is : Could the Hedd be the clockmaster in this configuration, even if it seems from the manual that he would takes the clock from his AES inputs...

Hope to be clear enough...

Thanks

PS : Do U think it would be an imrovement to clock the 192s on the Hedd ?
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Anyone ?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Although i have used the HEDD before, i never tried to clock it to anything so cant give you an answer weather that would actually improve upon the clock in the 192.

I do use a Lavry Blue as masterclock regularly and it improves the sound of the slaved interface's DA conversion considerably.

In theory if your slaved interface has a decent internal clock already than it should sound better on internal mode.

In practise its a different story! Every interface i have ever tried using the LavryBlue as masterclock with have all sounded better as a ressult. This includes Apogee, Protools HD, MOTU, RME, Lynx etc..

The LavryBlue and the HEDD both have different clocks. Try before you buy!

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I got a HEDD and tried to use it as the master clock for my RME FF800 and the rig sounded SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

I sold it, and got a Big Ben which made MAYBE a .000000001% difference. Better or worse, who knows. I left it on because it was a "Big Ben". Now I'm back to using the RME internal clock.

Still sounds good.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomka View Post
I would like to buy an Hedd converter to use it for the AD of my mix and the DA of the monitoring...

The configuration I would do is 192outs to summing box, summing box outputs to Hedd analogs inputs with emulations, then Hedd's AES to 192AES for mixdown print. By the same time, I want to connect 192's AES output to Hedd for monitoring.

I understood from my readings in this forum, that it would probably be better to clock the 192i/o to the Hedd, so I guess I should connect the Hedd's WC out to the first 192 and then use the Loop sync to sync the second 192...

My question is : Could the Hedd be the clockmaster in this configuration, even if it seems from the manual that he would takes the clock from his AES inputs...

Hope to be clear enough...

Thanks

PS : Do U think it would be an imrovement to clock the 192s on the Hedd ?

First of all HEDD is a great converter with 3 variable knobs to change the sound dramatically
I use it as a master clock and converter just like you want your setup. And it works great. loving it
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Im using the hedd as a masterlciock for a 002 system with an rme AD DA OTB summing system with Adam s3a speakers. I found that the HEDD clock made a very positive advancement in the sound of the system when used as a master clock.

Frost
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

My Rosetta 800 is clocked to my HEDD and I also heard a noticable improvement using the HEDD's clock.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Used it for years- Love it-The magic nobs do very nice things. A+

Thank you Dave Hill
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I clock my Lynx Aurora from the Spider which I think is the same if not very similar.

It sounds very good but wouldn't have any problem clocking them the other way around.

J
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the inputs,

I'll buy it for the converters and process then try if it improves the 192's conversion quality to clock them on the Hedd, I just wanted to to be sure the Hedd could be the masterclock even if I connect a 192AES to his AES inputs.
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Jim Williams modified Alesis HD24 XR and will be purchasing the Hedd 192......I heard the HD24XR internal clock is outstanding......has anyone tried clocking there HD24XR to the hedd 192 and what were their results........I am ordering the Hedd tomarrow would love to know if anyone has tried this.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone out there????I did read some post with Bob Katz commenting that if an internal clock is good that it is better to use the internal clock than a Hi end external to clock off of.....in my situation....clock the Alesis HD24XR to the Hedd 192 or just use the HD24XR internal clock source.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine View Post
Anyone out there????I did read some post with Bob Katz commenting that if an internal clock is good that it is better to use the internal clock than a Hi end external to clock off of.....in my situation....clock the Alesis HD24XR to the Hedd 192 or just use the HD24XR internal clock source.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio

Hey Ron

Cannot comment on what Hedd would do clocking to modified Alesis HD24XR, but I will comment generally on clock based on my setup. I have just outfitted a Hedd (lynx AES 16 -digital AES sync) as masterclock to audiofire 12- and use it to clock audiofire 12 running 8 channels from audiofire 12 through line mixer- into Hedd as AD mix (AES). Audiofire provides 2 further channels monitoring while running mix through Hedd.

Then use Hedd as DA monitor to check mix after print.

I always thought the audiofire had great converters, but was a little narrow and brittle high-Hedd has tightened up low end considerably, smoothened the top, and given far more depth/width to mix. What I hear during monitoring of the mix while printing (clocked from Hedd) -monitored from Audiofire is now spot on what I hear when printing.

Before without Hedd it was always a lucky dip when playing back the printed mix as to how close it sounded to the mix when printing.

After the initial dummy spit when setting up (driver issues with Direct X and clocking crap) I am very happy with the purchase-works as a great clock in my setup. You just need to give it a jigging with your setup. Good luck-I am sure you will like.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search