The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is a good console for recording rock music? Consoles
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

What is a good console for recording rock music?

I'm looking to spend no more than 150K on a console to track and mix rock, hard rock, metal and alt rock. Just wondering what suggestions so of you might have.

I'll be using Samp 9 along with a Studer or MCI 16 track analog deck and mixing down to a Ampex ATR 102 with switchable 1/2" and 1" headstacks.

Thanks........
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would imagine that anything sounds good through 150K console with a good engineer.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sure the usual suspects will do (Neve, SSL etc). If you have that kind of money to spend, I would suggest going to your local studios and mess around with what they've got. Determine what you like and don't like about their consoles, then make an educated decision. If I were to spend 150K, I would post on this site for opinions, but ultimately would rather go test consoles out myself.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
...I would suggest going to your local studios and mess around with what they've got. Determine what you like and don't like about their consoles, then make an educated decision. If I were to spend 150K, I would post on this site for opinions, but ultimately would rather go test consoles out myself.

for the love of god, follow the above quoted advice! 150K is a hell of a lot of money to be dropping on a desk you're not familiar with, and the fact that you're asking this question seems to indicate you're not familiar with consoles in this price range.

there's a HUGE variety of workflow, ergonomic, routing, wiring, and maintenance issues among the desks in this league, all of which are as important as the sonics. some are better at recording (which is your question), some are better at mixing, and every one involves compromises.

spend time on any serious contender, working with an engineer who knows the creature inside and out and will be honest with you about its strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. it'll be time and money well spent, because you're gonna have to live with this thing for a long, long time.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Spend 10K trying out all kinds of consoles and spend the 140K on the final one you like. This is a pretty good figure so you'll be able to get a nice console with this but remember, the engineer is as important as the console.....
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

That would be a Neve 8068.
Dave
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
That would be a Neve 8068.
Dave
You won't be able to find one anymore at that price.

You will have to add another $35K-$50K.

To be honest there aren't that many great dual tracking/mixing consoles at that price range.

Even the API's have gone up into the $200K range.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Really? That high? That sucks for me. I always wanted to spend my last working years on a vintage API. I guess I better start saving now.
Old 16th August 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Maybe a Daking, Neotek, or Euphonix? They're all available under $150....
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

wunderbar
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Really? That high? That sucks for me. I always wanted to spend my last working years on a vintage API. I guess I better start saving now.
Yeah unfortunately everyone wants an API or a Neve they can track & mix with.

They are the only consoles right now that are increasing in value not just holding their own.

I looked into some 8058/8068 and 8088's and the demand was high.

An 8078 is almost impossible to find and the brokers all told me when they go on the market they get snatched up pretty quickly. Going price is between $275K-$325K.

Now they guys who can't afford or find Neves are gobbling up the big API's.

The sudden craze with the 500 series thing hasn't helped either.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Personally, If I was to spend $150K on a console I would look seriously into a Neve Portico console, configured to your liking.

The portico modules sound great and I bet the rest of the console is up there aswell, quality wise.

And better yet, it's a new console with possibly very little maintenance worries for a long time. And if a module blows, you can get a replacement fast and easy.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

there are a few different consoles out there that can be had for a lot less than $150K. Neve, SSL, Amek, D&R, MCI, TL Audio, just to name a few. Just remember to have some backup cash. The larger consoles like the SSL and NEVE have tons of wiring involved, not to mention the power supplies. You'll probably spend a bit getting the electrical up to spec in your room.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd try and find one of these!
API sold on gearslutz
+++ FS: Vintage API 2488 Discrete Console!!! +++
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I asked the same question, to myself, about a year ago. I chose the Daking. Does everything I want and sounds amazing. Super low maintenance, great support, and oh yeah, did I mention it sounds amazing ?

Other options, get a small Wunder, Daking or Chandler sidecar and a used SSL 4000. You could probably swing all that for under 150K.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

New API

If you've got that kind of $$, look into the new API 1608. You could put 2 together loaded with reissue 550a's and Uptown Automation for a bit over 115k. That will leave you around 30-40k for patchbays, cabling and commisioning.

Been a long time in the works but VK supposedly has a fully working protoype in their possesion.
Old 16th August 2007
Raindirk

I'd try to diversify. A Raindirk is a console with a name. Maybe a Harrison. Both are good consoles.

Is enough spend on room acoustics? A nice console is one thing. A Beautiful room WILL SELL.

So if acoustics are allready present, is enough outboardgear available. If you get a desk of let's say 100.000 you will get more than 24 channels. So may be you'd want another studer.

Personally I'd buy a Tascam X-48 aswell. And a Protools HD system. So the user can choose between analog and digital.

Muziekschuur
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
You won't be able to find one anymore at that price.

You will have to add another $35K-$50K.

To be honest there aren't that many great dual tracking/mixing consoles at that price range.

Vintage King has a 48ch API Legacy listed at $135K. Even has automation!

API Legacy 48 Channel
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Behringer Eurodesk...

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
What about the new Portico console and a sh!tload of his modules stuffed in it?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I always liked SSL 4000 G and 9000 J. I've seen 64 channel Gs go for $60-75k on eBay.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly, I would rather just free-lance and go to studios to do the work. Why have the overhead and hassle of upkeep and housing the board and equiptment? I just feel that after all the years and work I have put in I still would rather build a relationship with a studio and go use their stuff.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm waiting to see how the new API 1608 pans out. Hopefully it's not vaporware. Sonic Circus has a couple of API consoles and a Neve 8048 that fall within your budget. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of those. You could also look into a new Neotek Elite.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll build you a console that will make you **** your pants for $150k.
Old 18th August 2007
interesting consoles in the 150 grand range

Neve 88RS
D&R Octagon
SSL AWS 900 (incl. 5.1)
Raindirk
AMEK APC1000 revised (second hand)
API Legend or Vision (vision = incl. 5.1)

Good acoustics room design & a less expensive console is preferrable above largest console & no representation whatsoever.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

If i were you i would use a desk for mixing and "some" eq. Use high end hardware preamps to track, unless you wanting to drop a ton on money on a SSL/Neve console.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Vintage King has a 48ch API Legacy listed at $135K. Even has automation!

API Legacy 48 Channel
i was going to mention that one. there was another API for sale for years for about that price also with moving faders. if i remmeber correctly it had more channels but it wasn't a legacy. if you have a little patience 8068s pop up every once in awhile, for even less $.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

Anything with a strong frame that doesn't bend in the middle when you shag a groupy on it!
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 1/2 Normal View Post
Anything with a strong frame that doesn't bend in the middle when you shag a groupy on it!
I guess you could add, a large flat area for chopping coke AND a phase meter so the band can ask "Dude, what's that for??"
Old 20th August 2007
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
I'll build you a console that will make you **** your pants for $150k.
In terror?

LMFBO.

Best regards, Wes.

Just busting your stones.

I'm sure you could.

SM.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search