The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Folcrom Owners: What Are your Fav Pre's To Run It Into? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Folcrom Owners: What Are your Fav Pre's To Run It Into?

I've been using my Lavry mic pres (very clean) but I have a Fatso in the chain before the Lavry A/D. Gives me the option of dirtying up the mix a bit. What is everyone else using and to what effect?
Old 16th August 2007
So far have used the ADL600 out of the Folcrom and back into the DAW, and it sounds great.

diamondjim
Barn Jazz Home
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Portico 5012
Love it.....

my chain is:

Folcrom-Portico-Kultube-8200-Rosetta200
Old 16th August 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Flamingo.
Old 17th August 2007
Captain

Flamingo .... Hedd
Peace Shipshape
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Flamingo guys; I've been thinking of getting one for preamp and Folcrom duties. Does the iron and sound modes make a big difference? Do you use them much?
Old 17th August 2007
interesting thread. I just got my Folcrom and intend to do a lot tests running it through different preamps...
- GR MP2NV (with EQ2NV)
- UA 2-610
- API 512c
- BIZ PURPLE

and the one I am most excited to hear and find out...

- Shadow Hills GAMA
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I dont have a Folcrom but use a passive summing box that is very similar, i actually made it myself using a shoe box, speaker cable screen for the rails, and some resistors! lol

Ive used it with many preamps and come to the conclusion that i prefer using a transparent preamp (Lavry Blue Preamp) for this kind of thing as i generally i use other outboard if i want to add colour to individual tracks. For me i want the summing to be as clean and open as possible.

The other preamp that interests me for this type of application is the Neve 1224, however a 1073 looks to be very similar by design.

Neve used to use passive summing rails in his console's, and the gain stage was done by the 1224 which by design uses the same transformers as the 1073 and shares much of the same circuit however was not intended as a micpre.

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
the ones i've used most so far:

Flamingo for clean and a little variety
SH Gamas on nickel for mojo, and on discrete for clean.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
interesting thread. I just got my Folcrom and intend to do a lot tests running it through different preamps...
- GR MP2NV (with EQ2NV)
- UA 2-610
- API 512c
- BIZ PURPLE

and the one I am most excited to hear and find out...

- Shadow Hills GAMA
Please post some samples! That would be a good post.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
the ones i've used most so far:

Flamingo for clean and a little variety
SH Gamas on nickel for mojo, and on discrete for clean.
How does the Flamingo clean differ from the Gamma's? I heard there's a very subtle difference between the Iron and Nickel settings on the Gamma when tracking. Is there a big difference when using it with the folcrom?
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

Ive used it with many preamps and come to the conclusion that i prefer using a transparent preamp (Lavry Blue Preamp) for this kind of thing as i generally i use other outboard if i want to add colour to individual tracks. For me i want the summing to be as clean and open as possible.

I also like it with a transparent pre. Lavry Blue into Lavry A/D is pretty awesome. I'm curious if anyone out there has run their mixes through a folcrom and a GML 8302.

I've run it through a Wunder PA Four which was nice but not as big. Warm though. I think it might work with certain material. I'm about to wire up a XLR patchbay (ordered through Redco -- highly recommended -- excellent customer service) so I can experiment more. I will post examples.

Last edited by NoizyNinja; 17th August 2007 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: wanted add more
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

The other preamp that interests me for this type of application is the Neve 1224, however a 1073 looks to be very similar by design.

Neve used to use passive summing rails in his console's, and the gain stage was done by the 1224 which by design uses the same transformers as the 1073 and shares much of the same circuit however was not intended as a micpre.

Did search for a Neve 1224 and I couldn't find anything. Is this an obscure model?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizyNinja View Post
How does the Flamingo clean differ from the Gamma's? I heard there's a very subtle difference between the Iron and Nickel settings on the Gamma when tracking. Is there a big difference when using it with the folcrom?
believe it or not i haven't A/Bd them as i seem to have everything else in the studio.

the flamingos are in my portable rig and the gamas are in the studio at the moment but both are very nice pres. did A/B the flamingo against straight ITB box once and it was very close, which is what i was after. the tranny and 'sound' or whatever it's called are nice variants too, but i usually find myself using it pretty clean. the SH unit is also great 'cause you can flip between settings quickly and see what you like - i just wish they were all the same gain though, would make deciding easier.

oh, between iron and nickel i've always picked nickel so far. for iron i use neves, so nickel and discrete are my two favs on that one.

this is all just one idiot's opinon so please take it with a grain of salt and a liter of tequila.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
this is all just one idiot's opinon so please take it with a grain of salt and a liter of tequila.
That's a good way to do some a/b-ing although I'm more of a Vodka man. Less effects the next day
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Buzz Audio MA2.2
Millenia HV3
Phoenix DRs-2
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

SH Nickel, sometimes Steel
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizyNinja View Post
Did search for a Neve 1224 and I couldn't find anything. Is this an obscure model?
Actually thats my bad.. I was reffering to the Neve 1272 module.
You know how it is with all these codes after a while!

1272 modules were not made for use as a micpre however the closest thing that Neve currently make to this would be their 1073.

Vintech and others do clones of 1272's which are adapted to be used as micpre's, there are also DIY projects available.

1272 MAIN BOARD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search