The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New argument for OTB & hardware! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

New argument for OTB & hardware!

Just bought about 20 new pieces of software, at least 50% of them won't load or authorize without problems.

If half of all the NEW hardware I bought was broken when delivered, people would go out of business!!!

Authorization problems, bugs, you name it!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRtutt

This SO pisses me off, I'm PAYING, not pirating and they make it so hard to install in the first place, THEN half the crap has problems and doesn't work!

-a
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

What are you trying to install that you would have that many problems with software?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Just bought about 20 new pieces of software, at least 50% of them won't load or authorize without problems.

If half of all the NEW hardware I bought was broken when delivered, people would go out of business!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRtutt

This SO pisses me off, I'm PAYING, not pirating and they make it so hard to install in the first place, THEN half the crap has problems and doesn't work!

-a
I find that software, plug-ins to be more specific, usually have tedious authorization procedures (some more so than others) that can be a real pain in the ass to set up and get working properly, and when you buy a bunch of stuff at once Major headache, been there, done that! LOL. Blame the pirates, they make life hard on the honest paying folk like us. I find that most complaints about new software being broken usually boil down to user error / inexperience (with said software), and after a couple of weeks with the software in question most problems tend to get solved or disappear. I have gotten hardware that was faulty or broken when the package was opened....... that was a pain in the ass as well. The word of the day is patience..........Grasshopper.

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Whenever theres a computer involved in the equation the chance that problems may occur increases dramatically. This is evident in both hardware malfunction and software errors.

Plug-ins by nature rely on your computer CPU or DSP to perform and therefore will never be as reliable as the hardware equivalents which work standalone. Also hardware malfunction is pretty much non existent in outboard.

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, what I was saying was that the "broken/error" rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher on 20 pieces of new software and the worst part is on hardware, I can walk back into a store and say, "This is broken, may I have a new one." With softare, NOPE... gotta figure it out, NO RETURNS. (And I'm the PAYING HONEST TYPE!!!)

Ok, a few examples:

Soundtoys: EchoBoy (I know, should be great): The iLok chip sent won't recognize as authentic.

Crannesong Phoenix (Another I'm excited to love): Following all registration instructions, it won't install and I can't get "RESPONSE" from a non-existant "Challenge."

Eventide Anthology II: Did everything the correct way... still waiting for an iLok license to show in my iLok account. Nothing.

Then I've got this MASSIVE softsyn problem which I suspect is more a Digi setting gone bad because they all install fine but no sound (appear functional), while others play fine on the same "Instrument" channel:

Arturia CS-80
G-Force MiniMonsta
Novation V-Station
Pro 53
PPG Wave

AAAARGH!

-andrews
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I get a little bent when I pay for software and the authorization has either problems or is buggy, or the software itself is glitchy, and then you see someone else with a cracked version that works perfectly.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRtutt

-a
yah the other thing is that an OS update won't make a hardware compressor stop working, for example
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

OTH; sofwtaer plug-ins will go on as many tracks as you want and have instant recall and automation.

NO SUCH THING AS ONE SIZE FITS ALL.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

hardware is immune to sample rate changes. no clocking problems. no install problems unless the power is jacked up or i can't find the right cables. it works and just keeps working until it breaks...not worthless in 5 years either like software.

long live hardware!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

A mix for the mix... mixed bag

Not meant to turn a thread into which is better, I have a lot of hardware and software (maybe a bit more hardware), but recognize the power and advantages of ITB too... ideally like to hybrid.

REALLY just saying that until software can start functionally being as valuable (and that means from install to practical use, quality and value over time, i.e. re-sale), that hardware will remain more valuable.

As of today, real life "value" demonstration:

If I go into my other studio, I can grab a real PPG and it plays. Sounds great! Today I CAN'T boot up my bought-and-paid-for softsynth version of the same thing; Waldorf PPG... I can go grab my real Prophet 5, but can't get the Pro 53 to make a sound and the graphics keep glitching... we're talking a year or so old piece of software at most versus 20+ years...
Old 17th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
REALLY just saying that until software can start functionally being as valuable (and that means from install to practical use, quality and value over time, i.e. re-sale), that hardware will remain more valuable.
Don't hold your breath there!

When was the last time ANYTHING that's built on 'computer' based technology retained 'resale' value for longer then six weeks after purchase?

Not to say that old DAW rigs are useless & should be thrown away... plenty of people are still using legacy systems like Paris or Mix + rigs but really, the stuff just gets obsolete too quickly for one reason or another...

When I bought the new DAW rig a few years ago I couldn't install my old Waves bundle and what I could get to run was either buggy or can't run over 48kHz...

None of my hardware outboard cares about that stuff! It keeps going...and going...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
I get a little bent when I pay for software and the authorization has either problems or is buggy, or the software itself is glitchy, and then you see someone else with a cracked version that works perfectly.
That came first to my mind.
Let me confess, I'm big soft warez (ab)user.
For some 300 cents, latest warez (functionally proven in 95% cases) is easily available.
At the end of the day I don't feel like asshole (as I don't use them commercially due to lack of attractive sound from them) when I find non-working SW.

Also, all SW I really like and exploit in full (Oxford, Alghoritmix, BFD, Nuendo/Cubase) was purchased legally, because either it was impossible to get it otherwise (always the best reason) or due to need to have support (2nd best reason to buy).
For the most of other SW after several months I realized I'll never use it again

Last edited by GYang; 17th August 2007 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: inappropriate wording caused by bad mood due to undefined interplanetar frictions with consequences to Earth's inhabitants
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
+100!

Some guys think it's a very little thing. Yet when it strikes you once, twice, ten times, and then more...you start to hate it. And then you avoid softwares with tedious copy protection and turn to the ones without it.

If any software developer is watching this thread, take that into consideration please. Some of you are really treating your loyal customers like s**t.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryschien View Post
+100!
If any software developer is watching this thread, take that into consideration please. Some of you are really treating your loyal customers like s**t.

tell me about it,

SW companies should offer both

***legit support

***and pirate support (god help the bastards!!)

Old 17th August 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
That came first to my mind.
Let me confess, I'm big soft warez (ab)user.
For some 300 cents, DVD with 500+ latest warez (well cracked, functionally proven in 95% cases) is easily available.
Without any feel of guilt (as I don't use them commercially doe to lack of attractive sound from them), so when I rarely find non-working SW there is no pain, just go further.
Gotta love pirate logic! "It's okay to steal stuff if you don't use it commercially".

Remind me to try that next time I want a 'free' cup of coffee -- "but I promise I won't actually drink it!"

I know the whole piracy/copy protection argument's been beaten to death, but it annoys me because the wholesale acceptance of warez is what has brought us to the ridiculous situation we're now in. Every new legit software user is assumed to be a criminal, then you have to spend your first 2 hours with a new plugin navigating a convoluted online maze simply to prove you're a paying customer.
Old 17th August 2007

i think people would be way more likely to pay for software,

if it actually WORKED....

it's absolutely MIND-BLOWING how much crappy product and NONsupport

we have to deal with on a DAILY basis - for almost EVERY task.

companies sell you product THAT DOESN'T WORK AS ADVERTISED

w/ zero phone support, almost zero forum support,

and next mellenium mail support.....

it's AMAZING anyone can get ANYTHING done

w/o spending HALF THEIR FR*GG*N LIVES

UNKNOWINGLY INVESTING IN developing "TECHNOLOGY SKILLS"

THAT WILL SURELY BE OBSOLETE TOMORROW.

MADNESS.....i tell you....madness

and using your cup of coffee analogy,

at least most coffee fr*gg*n works...

(ok, less caffeine, doesn't taste as good, whatever...there are PROBLEMS in the coffee world)

but you don't have to wait for a fr*gg*n week for somone to show up

in your car and pour it for you - oops, we didn't REALIZE you wanted

a FULL CUP - and you wish to DRINK it???? WHOOOOOOAAAAA,

that's a whole different feature set we never even THOUGHT about -

what - CUP COMPATIBILITY, YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT??? -

(WHAT IDIOT WOULD WANT THAT???? ------------ moron......)

that'll be $500 dollars - and we're sending that e-mail out to our roadside

response crew who'll be there to fill the rest of your cup in 2 months....

upgrades??? protection plan???? phone support????

that'll be $2k more, thank you - have a nice day -

go play in traffic - don't call us - we'll spam you!!!!!

oh and BY THE WAY - YOU'RE AN IDIOT BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE LOVES

OUR $500 2 WEEK OLD 3/4 CUP of COFFEE WITH ZERO CUP COMPATIBILITY!!!!.

SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!!! ......jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Oh I PAYED for it... and how... if I could RETURN IT, I would!

(Reason #203 for why buying software sucks, if it doesn't work, you can't return it, unlike hardware)
Old 17th August 2007

true dat....

Old 17th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:

it's absolutely MIND-BLOWING how much crappy product and NONsupport

we have to deal with on a DAILY basis - for almost EVERY task.

companies sell you product THAT DOESN'T WORK AS ADVERTISED

w/ zero phone support, almost zero forum support,

and next mellenium mail support.....

it's AMAZING anyone can get ANYTHING done

w/o spending HALF THEIR FR*GG*N LIVES

UNKNOWINGLY INVESTING IN developing "TECHNOLOGY SKILLS"

THAT WILL SURELY BE OBSOLETE TOMORROW.

MADNESS.....i tell you....madness

and using your cup of coffee analogy,

at least most coffee fr*gg*n works...

(ok, less caffeine, doesn't taste as good, whatever...there are PROBLEMS in the coffee world)

but you don't have to wait for a fr*gg*n week for somone to show up

in your car and pour it for you - oops, we didn't REALIZE you wanted

a FULL CUP - and you wish to DRINK it???? WHOOOOOOAAAAA,

that's a whole different feature set we never even THOUGHT about -

what - CUP COMPATIBILITY, YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT??? -

(WHAT IDIOT WOULD WANT THAT???? ------------ moron......)

that'll be $500 dollars - and we're sending that e-mail out to our roadside

response crew who'll be there to fill the rest of your cup in 2 months....

oh and BY THE WAY - YOU'RE AN IDIOT BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE LOVES

OUR $500 2 WEEK OLD 3/4 CUP of COFFEE WITH ZERO CUP COMPATIBILITY!!!!.

SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!!! ......jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You been hanging out with Slippermonkey lately?!

Thought that was his post for a second!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh ANOTHER good one! Totally

They want to charge US to make sure THEY support THEIR product that WE PAID FOR?

"Protection plan?"fuuckyoufuuckthat!

...Reason #204 "We have to pay to make sure their **** works... after we already bought it!"

-a
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

I almost always buy the software that I use and then use the hacked versions..
Old 18th August 2007

THAT is brilliant -

Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You been hanging out with Slippermonkey lately?!

Thought that was his post for a second!

no, i wish - sm is one funny mtherf8cker....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search