The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 225L, 525 compressors 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 5th February 2008
  #31
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
Anybody ever think of DIY'ing a rack & PSU for these 225L's?
(me and) my tech made a psu and a small lunchbox for 2 channels of 225l. it's not that difficult if you have some electronic knowledge (but i always let my tech check...).

i got myself a International Power linear powersupply with +/- 15VDC and trimmed it up to the required +/-16V.

the comps were put in a small lunchbox (not 100% finished yet, but the comps work ...and do a great job)

U-)
Old 5th February 2008
  #32
Gear Nut
 

The API 225 is the ****.

My 2 cents.
Old 7th February 2008
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by uphonic View Post
(me and) my tech made a psu and a small lunchbox for 2 channels of 225l. it's not that difficult if you have some electronic knowledge (but i always let my tech check...).

i got myself a International Power linear powersupply with +/- 15VDC and trimmed it up to the required +/-16V.

the comps were put in a small lunchbox (not 100% finished yet, but the comps work ...and do a great job)

U-)
What did/will it cost you in the end.
Old 7th February 2008
  #34
Gear Addict
 

Can anyone comment on the 225l as a 2-bus comp?
Old 10th February 2008
  #35
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
What did/will it cost you in the end.
something like:
usd 65.- for the psu,
usd 50.- for 2 card card edge connectors and 10 neutrik connectors (2 input, 2 output, 2 sidechain, 4 for the psu)
usd 30.- for a switches, 1 led, 1 resistor, fuse holder, housing for psu...

most parts were orderd at mouser (except the neutrik connectors)

since i did most of the work by myself and used parts/ materials i have in my workshop, you might ad some costs for the metal works, cabeling, ...

if you have no knowledge of electronics, let a tech check your work or let him do the solderwork. this might ad some bucks, but ... still cheaper than smokin' a module...

u-)
Old 10th February 2008
  #36
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Juliano View Post
The API 225 is the ****.

My 2 cents.
...no comment...

u-)
Old 11th February 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 
rumimusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Max View Post
It's the SAME question I'm keep asking to my self...
I Have one 525...and it's a complete different thing from the 225L (2500)...
it's a kind of a glue machine for a bass Gtr, an acoustic gtr...for example...a kind of soft channel compressor...
but unusuable for example on drums...
not surely so versatile as the 225L...
i've actually heard the 525 get great results at the end of a vocal chain.
Old 11th February 2008
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jsteiger's Avatar
API rack

Fellow API slutz,

I saw this 200 series rack just pop up on eBay. Somebody should buy it up. It's around 1/2 price of new.

API L200 12 space powered rack for Mic Preamps and more - eBay (item 180214812167 end time Feb-20-08 14:29:06 PST)

This is NOT my auction. I ordered a rack, PSU, 6-235L gates and 2-225L compressors about 3 weeks ago from Calistro. He was told all but the comps were in stock and would ship ASAP. Still haven't got anything. Don't even have a delivery date yet.

Apparently API's top priority is shipping the new 1608's.

I was half tempted to cancel my rack order and buy this one but it's not really Craig's fault. That would be too ****ty of a thing to do. So, somebody else can enjoy the good deal!

BTW, Craig Calistro is great to deal with for API or other stuff.

Jeff
Old 11th February 2008
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
laughton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
Fellow API slutz,

I saw this 200 series rack just pop up on eBay. Somebody should buy it up. It's around 1/2 price of new.

API L200 12 space powered rack for Mic Preamps and more - eBay (item 180214812167 end time Feb-20-08 14:29:06 PST)

This is NOT my auction. I ordered a rack, PSU, 6-235L gates and 2-225L compressors about 3 weeks ago from Calistro. He was told all but the comps were in stock and would ship ASAP. Still haven't got anything. Don't even have a delivery date yet.

Apparently API's top priority is shipping the new 1608's.

I was half tempted to cancel my rack order and buy this one but it's not really Craig's fault. That would be too ****ty of a thing to do. So, somebody else can enjoy the good deal!

BTW, Craig Calistro is great to deal with for API or other stuff.

Jeff

I am buying this.
Old 11th February 2008
  #40
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
Wow... wow... WOW!

$600 for the rack AND power supply.... you got a killer deal, man. Congrats!

That seller is a fool... he could have put that thing up on Gearslutz and probably gotten at least $750 or so.

Best of luck with it!
Old 11th February 2008
  #41
Lives for gear
 
jsteiger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughton View Post
I am buying this.
Good!

I'm glad someone will get a smokin' deal!

Stand in line when it comes to the 200 series modules! (At this point in time anyhow)

Jeff
Old 11th February 2008
  #42
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

wow
killer price!
Old 11th February 2008
  #43
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughton View Post
I am buying this.
That's what I get for sleeping in today. Still doesn't beat the day I saw a sony C37 for $750 buy it now. I shrunk the window, checked some finances and 5 minutes later it was gone.

Great deal though man, once you get that loaded up with 225l's be sure to let us know what you think!

Cheers
Old 11th February 2008
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
laughton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
Good!

I'm glad someone will get a smokin' deal!

Stand in line when it comes to the 200 series modules! (At this point in time anyhow)

Jeff
I was going to get a 3124+ but instead I am just getting this (as soon as I get the quote on shipping to Canada) and loading it with 4x212L and 8x225L. Was looking at these the other day and thinking how awesome it would be if the rack was reasonably priced! Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 12th February 2008
  #45
Gear Maniac
 
laughton's Avatar
 

Oh yeah, for anyone who feels like they missed out on a good deal. The ebay page says that there are two available. I don't know if this means he is going to list another one soon, but the one I am buying is one of two. So keep an eye out.
Old 27th February 2008
  #46
Lives for gear
 

looks like prehistoric tonelux. awesome.
Old 27th February 2008
  #47
Lives for gear
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumimusic View Post
i've actually heard the 525 get great results at the end of a vocal chain.

You heard right! Great comp.
My chain = Peluso 2247LE > Avedis MA5>API525 = people's jaws dropping
Old 27th February 2008
  #48
Lives for gear
 
jsteiger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard View Post
looks like prehistoric tonelux. awesome.
Huh?

I think the 200 series stuff looks more like a modernized version of an API classic.

You know the knob now has a patent on it. thumbsup
Old 27th February 2008
  #49
Lives for gear
 

anybody have any experience with the 200 series pre from API?

compared to a 512? .. would be nice for me to use for remote location/live recording.

thanks
br
Old 28th February 2008
  #50
Lives for gear
 

guess not!
Old 28th February 2008
  #51
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff View Post
guess not!
Do a search. I believe this may have been discussed here before.

I've never used a 212L so I can't say. From what I remember, the word is that they're excellent.

The quality / performance of the 225L compressors alone is worth getting the 200 rack. Then you can always get a few of the 212Ls and try `em out.

I already have two 200 racks, completely full of 225Ls and 235Ls and wishing I had more. I haven't picked up any 212Ls yet since I already have a stack of 3124+ units. All this stuff is superb!

Old 28th February 2008
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
200 series

Quote:
anybody have any experience with the 200 series pre from API?
Every API console - Legacy, Legacy Plus, and Vision ships with the 212 mic pre, so the experience base is rather large. The 200 rack was designed to provide access to the 200 series pre's to those without a console.

BTW - the Dave Matthews band records every live show through 212 mic pre's - I think they are up to 4 or 5 racks worth.
Old 29th February 2008
  #53
DRC
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Every API console - Legacy, Legacy Plus, and Vision ships with the 212 mic pre, so the experience base is rather large. The 200 rack was designed to provide access to the 200 series pre's to those without a console.

BTW - the Dave Matthews band records every live show through 212 mic pre's - I think they are up to 4 or 5 racks worth.
Are the elements that make up the 225L compressor similar/or the same as the ones in the 2500? Is a 225L a mono 2500 with less control?
Old 29th February 2008
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
You heard right! Great comp.
My chain = Peluso 2247LE > Avedis MA5>API525 = people's jaws dropping
Yeah. Big time. I just scored a pair of early-70s 525s (thanks, Joe, if you're reading this!!) and I've been compressing every single track I've cut since (including a sitar track I cut today). Now, I'm not saying it's all in good taste (it's not!), but I'll tell ya what: it sounds friggin' suh-weet!!

During vocals and editing, the 525s lived on my mix buss, and sounded great. Super-charged API flava...like a 512b on speed (imagine the two-mix is a hooker, and the 512's been blowing lines from her ass crack).

Now we're getting into mix-land, and I'm figuring out where they shine in that department.

****in' psyched.

A coupla local producer/engineer-types have dropped by in recent days (including Mr. Paul Q. Kolderie, compressor fiend extraordinaire!), and many a jaw has dropped, and many a shade of green was revealed. And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

I like my new toys. And I do believe I had waaay too much coffee at work today.
Old 29th February 2008
  #55
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

the rack is a big deal, but i think the main reason the 200 series never flew is the lack of eq. it's one thing to have only one manufacturer support the format, it's another to have no eq options from that one manufacturer.

a 2-slot 550 would change the landscape. but with the 500 series blowing up like it is, i can't see 200 ever becoming a priority again.

and i, too, see the embryo of the tonelux concept in the 200 series. bringing large console functionality to a little rack, including mixer and summing modules... hmmmmm...


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 29th February 2008
  #56
DRC
Lives for gear
 

Ok, anybody.

Are the elements that make up the 225L compressor similar/or the same as the ones in the 2500? Is a 225L a mono 2500 with less control?
Old 23rd October 2008
  #57
DRC
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Ok, anybody.

Are the elements that make up the 225L compressor similar/or the same as the ones in the 2500? Is a 225L a mono 2500 with less control?

Gotta bump this question. Cleaner? Less Control?
Old 23rd October 2008
  #58
Lives for gear
 
lordnielson's Avatar
 

And also...

Is there no way you could geek a 200 into a 500 ?
Old 24th October 2008
  #59
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Gotta bump this question. Cleaner? Less Control?

slightly cleaner; 225 has the 2520 grit but not the transformer honey. every bit as flexible as the 2500 though, these are my favorite comps on the planet, i love them on everything except drums and mix.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 24th October 2008
  #60
Lives for gear
 
ToddF's Avatar
We love our 225's on drums. Except overheads I usually use Varimu.
Really isn't anything they don't work well on. Use them often on bass, and vocals.

They have lots of settings/switches on them for more tonal options. The auto makeup gain feature is great.

Peace, Todd
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jandalo / Geekslutz forum
0
rll / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
audiothings / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump