The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API Lunchbox - A few Q's 500 Series Preamps
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

API Lunchbox - A few Q's

Sorry, asked this in Low End aswell..

Ive been producing now for about 7 years. Got a typical Low End setup, including 2 PC's linked via FX Teleport, Cakewalk Sonar 6PE, Delta1010 interface, SM Pro Audio 8 channel pre, Alesis Monitor Ones and many plugins..

Ive always spent my hard earned dollars on upgrading my PC, upgrading my DAW (Sonar) etc. But am slowly gathering more rack gear, old samplers, synth modules ETC..

Ive been recording more lately - guitar and vocals, as most of what I produce is midi... So Ive been wanting to buy a nice mic pre, compressor and maybe an EQ..

Questions -

1. Are the modules (once you get the box) worth the money? (for someone like myself? Im certainly a Low Ender, but hope this can move me a step or two) - In Aus say, the Purple Biz pre is the same price as an ART Gold (dual pre)

2. Apart from in your recording chain, would you use any of the modules (Comps and EQs) when mastering? (Not that this will be the main purpose, but im wanting to try my hand in mastering, outboard - Just thought if any of the modules would be good in this way)

Thanks
Old 15th August 2007
500 series nutjob

i think you could put this in the high end, but it will be fine here just my not get all the attention as the high end who knows.
as far as the 500 format cards all i have reviewed so far have been very high-end regardless of price.
i have said this before i feel it applies to a lot of small studios, the 500 format is the way to go, ten to eleven pre's in three space of rack, thats a deal.
you can get very high end pre's at an affordable price, and their are a multitude to choose from.
and more coming.
as well their are some compressors, and some very very nice eq's.
i would highly recommend the systems to anyone!
if you take into account the size and price, the build quality and choices, it is a bargain!
for vocals and guitar i really like the A-Designs P-1
for acoustic guitar it would be the A-Designs EN BLUE or the Great River MP-500NV.
i have reviewed the Buzz elixir and it would be in this group for me as well.
for bass guitar it would have to be the Great River MP-500NV as well i like the OSA MP-1-L3.
the A-Designs EM-PEQ is a must but if you are on a tight budget the Speck ASC-V is a great piece as well.
i have the Buzz essence compressors and i do love them and have plans to get the potion when my budget allows.
so i will let some others way in with their thoughts as well.
good luck and join the club!
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Just had to give a shout out.. Buzz Audio..!

Just googled Buzz Audio, and found thier site.. They are a Zew Zealand Co.

Is that correct..? Go Newzealand - Me being Australian is getting a bit jealous.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

500 series is probably the best bang for the buck you can get. Lots of choices, small footprint, very affordable. I won't go into trashing ART or anything, but there's really no comparison performance wise. One of the best investments you can make.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
500 series is probably the best bang for the buck you can get.

Great thanks for your help guys..

Now sorry for being lazy. But can anyone reply with a a list of manufactuers that do 500-series.?

I live in Australia and all I can find is API, Purple, Avendis and Great River.

Anybody know of a website that ships 500-series International?
Old 15th August 2007
Old 15th August 2007
500 series nutjob

here is the A-Designs web site

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Pan60.. Thanks for your help.

Question - Have you had any experience with DIY 500 seies.?

I found the link to The Eisen Audio DIY500

I have a little experience with electronics and I really like the idea of thier kits.. BUT

How do I know which components/values to purchse for all the resistors and capacitors?
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
I have a little experience with electronics and I really like the idea of thier kits.. BUT

How do I know which components/values to purchse for all the resistors and capacitors?
I would include a list of correct component values with your order, depending on which op amp and transformers you decide to use.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio View Post
I would include a list of correct component values with your order, depending on which op amp and transformers you decide to use.
:P Didnt expect to see you here - Sorry Im new to this forum. Great to see the range of users/manufaturers here..

Eisen. I had a better look at your site, and found that your reccomended kits (512 or 312), should be right for me, as you list all components needed (good for a first timer)..

Are the OpAmps, In/Out transformers easy to come by? (I live in Australia) Im gathering I can just ourchase online from the manufacturers you have klisted, but do you know If I can purchase anything similar in Australia?
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Looks like someone needs to update this list.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfrank72 View Post
Looks like someone needs to update this list.
starts with an M...ends with an ark Warren heh
Old 15th August 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Pan60.. Thanks for your help.

Question - Have you had any experience with DIY 500 seies.?

I found the link to The Eisen Audio DIY500

i have not, but their are several around hear that have.
i will let them chime in.
i want to, but just not in a place to try one as of yet.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Any Aussies here know of any other dealers of 500-series modules other than, Legacy Audio - Home

thanks
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any Aussies here know of any other dealers of 500-series modules other than, Legacy Audio - Home

thanks
http://www.brisound.com.au/

Have fun,
Peter
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Electronique,

Please send me an e-mail if you have more questions.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search