The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
some info on Gordon mic pre's Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 15th August 2007
lj Potyk
some info on Gordon mic pre's

Can someone give me some info on Gordon Mic pre;s?
Good for everything? Even Electric guitars?
Up there with Martech MSS10 and Pendulum MDP-1?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, good for everything. Huge sound, deep and musical, not clinical or hard at all.

I've had it next to the MDP-1 (A and B versions), and many others. No contest for me, I much preferred Gordon. I posted some short comparision samples around here somewhere of those two.

I haven't tried Martech. Like the Pendulum and many more, it uses an input transformer, and I don't want that. Martech is also more expensive than Gordon, especially for a stereo pair. And I think the MSS DI (which also uses a xfmr) is another $500-600 in a separate box.

Gordon has many more features than just a mic preamp. It has extremely high 2 megohm input impedance, so no source loading of any kind. The builtin DI is excellent, it is just a 1/4" input to the preamp. The output section continuously monitors and optimizes the signal depending on the characteristics of the next device in the chain. The gain steps are discrete and operate only at the exact specified gain -- no feedback or attentuation is used. Noise levels are pure black background. And all those parameters are constant at every gain setting, with any chain. So no chasing some 'sweet spot'. Some models have remote control functionality, so you can place the preamp next to the source and have the controller hundreds of meters away. It is one rugged and reliable beast, made with all aluminum chassis and stainless steel fasteners, for ultimate noise and RF rejection.

Steve
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
Yes, good for everything. Huge sound, deep and musical, not clinical or hard at all.

No contest for me, I much preferred Gordon.
+1 here

Noone with serious recording aspirations should be without one.
Actually I believe it's the best mic preamp ever made.
In some way similar to Martech, but with bit more resolution.
Moderately to much better (arguably) then Millenia, GML, DAV, DACS in clean dept.
Requires best mics, rooms and performers.
After Gordon, almost all other mic's pres sounds like mudifiers to some extent.
Still, I love V72S, Great River and Germanium pres when colour is right thing.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

the best mic pre ever.no need for discussion...just buy the damn thing, if you don'tlike it return it. very plain and simple.

now if grant could build mono amps for playback listening i would be in heaven
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

How much $$ ?
Old 28th August 2007
lj Potyk
$2900 for 2 channels
$1800 for 1 channel
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

the best....it makes every mic just sound better. Great guy too. One of the few purchases I can honestly say I am 100% happy with. After going through about 20 channels of preamps I have only stayed with this one the entire time. With these pre's you don't have to worry if you're getting all you can from the mic. That peace of mind is worth it.

One thing it doesn't do...

that indie vibey distortion thing that API will do for guitars and drums.

I do miss that from my api's, Chandler TG-2 and Sebatron.

-Jeremy
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

It would be very interesting to directly compare Gordon with the new Forssell stereo JFET preamp, since all the description given to Gordon ("huge sound, deep and musical, not clinical or hard at all" etc.) applies exactly to it as well ...

Pendulum is nice but comparing to Forssell lacks some dimensions ... I will better not talk about Millennia :-)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

STOP IVO!!!

too late, you are already onto it...

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
It would be very interesting to directly compare Gordon with the new Forssell stereo JFET preamp,
You owe it to youself.
I didn't hear Forssell and if it turns to sound more convincing as 'best pre' I'm first to buy it.
Still, IMO Gordon is simply unbelievable piece of newer technology that sonically jumped miles over any original vintage design and their countless clones.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
You owe it to youself.
Yes, I would be interested. But something comes naturally on its own, something not ... I could try the Forssell preamp without any obligations, pre-payment etc. If Gordon comes in the same way, I would definitely love to try. Still, it may be a way easier for someone in the US to try both ... Shipping to Europe is a kind of headache
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

A lot of things have been said about this genius man and his preamp manufactured in Music city. Let's just set the record straight, no tip-toeing no dilly dally and no beating around the bush.

Don't laugh I'm totally serious. heh

"Do i really want a gordon mic pre? Should i invest in these grey obscure device?"

One word (or two??)

HI-FI

problem is that all other so-called transformerless transparent tend to fall into to this category.

Now the confusing part. The gordon mic preamps engineered and manufactured by this white guy ....

heh

named Mr.Grant Carpenter fall into another category. It's....

**drum roll**

FI

"say wut?"

uh..well it's the impin in the pimpin.

you heard me it's Fidelity.It's Lp vs CD one seems more richer,colorful ,vibrant and sensual. The other one cold and mathematical. It's all about perception.

You don't see the difference. You hear it and you feel it.

Now some of you will have hard time swallowing this,given the 2900 bucks price tag for the 2 channels;but Grant Carpenter is a honest man and a manaufacturer. A business man of real integrity who obviously doesn't overcharge for his products. And since he is a very smart guy you can be sure that the quality is top notch. Sure it's expensive..but it is a fair price.

These are handmade products,containing only the best materials and components money can buy, and to build and test each preamp takes a great deal of time.

Has Mr.Gefell compared the gordon's with other preams? YES

Will it sound better than what you are currently using?

I don't know..to be honest i don't really care
But for me..i am completely and utterly in love with how this preamp let's the music carry itself along.

No solid state haze...edginess. Must be the the jfets huh? .It has flow.It's liquid.It's earthy. It's highly textural but in a natural way. Musical contrasts like ..loud and quiet , thick and thin are well propotioned . Tone color and instrument color- wood.metal,skin.. spit -all sounds like themselves. Things sounds correct. Yup. The reproduction has authority,,which you don't find in any other hi-fi so-called transparent preamps.

"But Mr.Gefell can you post a mp3 sample?"

Listen Wacko...There is only one type of potential customers of this preamp.The one who loves music and fidelity.For him or her this is the great sounding , all he or she ever need work of art gear that will make his/her projects absolute thrill to work with and listen to.

Sell a kidney or a ring...do something.

Buy this preamp.

Long Live Grant Carpenter and Music City!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
It would be very interesting to directly compare Gordon with the new Forssell stereo JFET preamp, since all the description given to Gordon ("huge sound, deep and musical, not clinical or hard at all" etc.) applies exactly to it as well ...

Pendulum is nice but comparing to Forssell lacks some dimensions ... I will better not talk about Millennia :-)
It would be very interesting for YOU to directly compare Gordon with the new Forssell, as well as the Audio Upgrades and the GML and the .... you get the picture. I know, I've been badgering you about this on another forum, but let's face it -- you have a head start over all of us.

You would think these manufacturers would be smart enough to let you borrow them for a couple of weeks. Must be the European thing. That shipping headache you mentioned...

Jasper
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
It would be very interesting for YOU to directly compare Gordon with the new Forssell, as well as the Audio Upgrades and the GML and the ....
Time to make a nice music, my friend ...
Old 30th August 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Forssell pre is great on everything. Not #1 for lead vocal, but can be great there as well. But #1 for piano, percussion, overheads and most instruments. It is a homerun type pre sound. My Millenia became useless to me when the Forsell arrived.

I imagine the Gordon is also an all around winner. Squeegybug always has great advice. But it is a thousand more dollars than the Forsell.

I would love to have the Gordon. But it is difficult not to go for another Forsell. (So I guess I want one more Forsell and a Gordon - and my birthday is coming up soon - in case my wife is reading this. heh)
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Why is the Forsell not #1 for vocals?
What do you more prefer?
Old 9th September 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I prefer my A designs MP-2A for vocals - BUT - the Forssell can be great there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
Why is the Forsell not #1 for vocals?
What do you more prefer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search