The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Rosetta 200 vs Trak2 + Big Ben Digital Converters
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Apogee Rosetta 200 vs Trak2 + Big Ben

Hello all,

Has anyone subjectively and objectively compared the Trak2 vs the Rosetta converters? I read from one source that the Rosetta and Trak2 use the same converters, and another source says that the Trak2 converters are different than the Rosetta.

I'm looking to start out with a pair of quality converters for my PT rig. I like the Apogees b/c I"ll be moving to HD in the near future and can integrate them with that setup as well. I like the idea of the headphone jack and pres in the Trak 2, but wonder if they stand up to the Rosetta (being newer). I've tried the Rosetta with a Big Ben and liked the sound, but don't know if the sound will be the same with a Trak2 plus Big Ben.

Thanks.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

bump

boy, it doesn't take long for an unanswered post to get buried.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

either way you can't really go wrong

i have a trak 2 and a big ben and love it.

i have used the rosetta 200 and thought it was great too.

if i had to choose i would get the trak 2,

the pres are ultra clean and great for keyboards, di eletric gts, percussion.

to me the convertors hold their own against my digi 192, and ad16x.

it is a great sounding underated box. and is more flexible than the rosetta.

ej
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
either way you can't really go wrong

i have a trak 2 and a big ben and love it.

i have used the rosetta 200 and thought it was great too.

if i had to choose i would get the trak 2,

the pres are ultra clean and great for keyboards, di eletric gts, percussion.

to me the convertors hold their own against my digi 192, and ad16x.

it is a great sounding underated box. and is more flexible than the rosetta.

ej

If you compared just the conversion and forgot about the pres and all the extra features of the Trak2, do you think the Trak 2 sounds as good as the Rosetta 200 (both clocked with a Big Ben)?

Thanks.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i wish i could directly answer that for you.

i don't have a rosetta 200. i have only used it at someone elses studio. i doubt if you will find many who have both units.

the trak 2 was my main convertor for years back when i was using pt mix. when i upgraded to pt hd i also got an ad16x and a digi 192 so i just used those mainly simply out of convenience. i haven't really taken the time to compare them all but i do like them better that my rme fireface. all i can tell you is that it still holds it's own.

perhaps you should call apogee. they are good people and would tell you the truth about which combo would be best. i would imagine that the rosetta 200/big ben might be slightly better than the trak2/big ben combo but i really think that at that point it is really splitting hairs.

ej
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

rosetta

Hi all.New here.While the subject of rosetta is being thrown around,maybe someone has an answer that could really help me out.Just set up a new 003 rig with ua 2610,stereo distressors and a rosetta 200.While mainly a musician,I have a little background in audio so some answers don't come as easy as others.So,the question is,where in the signal chain does the rosetta go and using what cabling?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfbass View Post
Hi all.New here.While the subject of rosetta is being thrown around,maybe someone has an answer that could really help me out.Just set up a new 003 rig with ua 2610,stereo distressors and a rosetta 200.While mainly a musician,I have a little background in audio so some answers don't come as easy as others.So,the question is,where in the signal chain does the rosetta go and using what cabling?
You may want to consider moving up to the rosetta 800 so you could actually use your comps on the inserts in PT. I can't see a way to do this with only two channels and not running through the UA AND the comps all the time.

The Rosetta should be the last piece before the Digi003. I would use the lightpipe in and out. Others may have better advice on this.

UA > Comps > Rosetta > Digi003 I personally don't like this config. I would prefer to use the comps on the inserts, as stated previously but I can't see another way to do it with only two channels.

Good luck!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I never compared them but the Apogee guys told me Rosetta 200 is a new generation of converters, so I'd expect it to be at least a tad superior to Track 2.

Besides, Track 2 doesn't come with DA conversion from factory, if that's important to you... You'd need to install the optional DAC dedicated card - don't know what it's called and how much it costs; actually, it probably is no longer available from Apogee, and that's not something that pops up very frequently in the second-hand market... but give them a call.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would say it comes down to if you need two preamps or not. Apogee pre's are underrated, IMO>

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search