The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do you need/use Pro Tools HD? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
View Poll Results: Why do you need/use Pro Tools HD?
Stability
121 Votes - 57.62%
Simplicity / UI, less need for workarounds and manuals
94 Votes - 44.76%
"No" (low, fixed) latency
110 Votes - 52.38%
Better automation then the competition
54 Votes - 25.71%
I need plug-ins only available in the TDM format
45 Votes - 21.43%
Better monitoring during record than native solutions (no need to use 3rd part mixers)
66 Votes - 31.43%
Digidesign's converters (or compatible), 48-bit mix engine
20 Votes - 9.52%
Compatibility with others
112 Votes - 53.33%
I need a lot of I/Os and tracks
59 Votes - 28.10%
Autom. Plug-in Delay Compensation
81 Votes - 38.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th August 2007
  #31
Gear Nut
 
Freudian Slip's Avatar
 

If I was to get PT it would be strictly for compatability and as a selling point to potential customers.

Personaly I'd rather have sonar pe, a ghost, and the price difference in nice outboard gear and hi end plugs.


I'd rather get a toft board I think but, They don't make them large enough now, maybe later they will.

Flame if you must.


F.S.
Old 16th August 2007
  #32
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
This may be one of the dumbest polls I've seen yet!!

Congratulations!!
WTF
Old 16th August 2007
  #33
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kress View Post
Does anyone else think it is funny that "sound quality" was left out?
...........
Old 16th August 2007
  #34
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Maybe you think it sounds like crap but until record companies start increasing budget's instead of cutting them Protools is hear to stay.

I would rather have other sources that sound better, than worrying about a damn record label chasing after me. sorry just me.....
Old 16th August 2007
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Fletcher I hope your mixes stand up to the claims you make on the internet.

Jo
It does when you slap an "Obsidian" by Dramastic Audio on it.heh

(Sorry Fletcher i had to).
Old 16th August 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slip View Post
If I was to get PT it would be strictly for compatability and as a selling point to potential customers.
Pro tools is no longer a selling point. Unless your someone who lives in the past.
Lately there is a huge buzz in my area for radar. Everyone is recording at radar equiped facilites here. Protools will soon go down like Adats and Mackies

I was forced to use protools last week at a session. friggin horrible software
slow as **** , cumbersome gui and sounded sterile as ever. I hate it

Pro Fools.......
Old 16th August 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Clients should be hiring you for your skills and not your tools.
Protools is only as slow as the driver behind the keyboard...
Old 16th August 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

You know, it is very interesting that it is mainly people that don't use Protools HD that say it's on its way out, that it is unnecessary anymore, outdated, and on and on. I have read countless, really, countless threads on Protools HD bashing and you know what I've surmised? People who use Protools HD, that being the vast majority of serious studios, don't bash Protools. Yes, they may have a gripe or two, but for the overwhelmingly majority of them, they love Protools and would not want to use anything else. There are a few exceptions:

Tony Belmont

What you do find is that people in general want what they use to be superior. So they bash something they don't like or feel they can’t justify. I am in no way saying that Protools HD is for everyone, it is for me, but not everyone. However, to say that it is obsolete and is no longer a contender (Summarizing), well that is plain nonsense. It is wishful thinking and frankly for the wrong reason.

Now I drive a Mustang GT, it's a great car, actually a midlife crisis kind of thing, but a great car regardless. You will find that people who own Mustangs love them and swear by them. But, you will find people that say Mustang GT's are no good, a Charger is more of a car, or forget those dated things, get a 300Z, or whatever. Now it's ok to want to buy a different car, but to say my GT is not any good, dated body frame, not a performer like other cars. Well that would be crazy, especially if you took my car for a drive.

Now the response to that would be, I’ve taken Protools for a drive and I didn’t like it, not one bit. There are some that will say this and for them, it’s an accurate statement. I would say that about Logic Pro, but others will swear buy it. As much as I think Logic Pro is garbage, I would not suggest that people not use it. I will give the reasons I don’t like it, but, people can decide for themselves. For many, it is a perfect solution:

Tony Belmont

So what’s my point? Well it’s this. Use what you like, but don’t be naïve and say crazy things like Protools will fall the way of the ADAT. That’s foolish talk.

Whew, this wore me out!!!
Old 16th August 2007
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Pro tools is no longer a selling point. Unless your someone who lives in the past.
Lately there is a huge buzz in my area for radar. Everyone is recording at radar equipped facilities here. Pro Tools will soon go down like Adats and Mackies

I was forced to use Pro Tools last week at a session. friggin horrible software
slow as **** , cumbersome gui and sounded sterile as ever. I hate it

Pro Fools.......

That's good news for RADAR. I believe their heyday of sales was in 1999-2000.
Barry Henderson could probably confirm that, but if their making a comeback, good for them!

As for the the other comments you made about Pro Tools, either your operator must have been impaired in someway or just not competent.

Anything that can be done on a RADAR, can be done at least twice as fast on Pro Tools.

And as long as the GUI/Interface on RADAR stays in it's current form, that will always be the case.
Old 16th August 2007
  #40
Gear Nut
 
Freudian Slip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Pro tools is no longer a selling point. Unless your someone who lives in the past.
Lately there is a huge buzz in my area for radar. Everyone is recording at radar equiped facilites here. Protools will soon go down like Adats and Mackies

I was forced to use protools last week at a session. friggin horrible software
slow as **** , cumbersome gui and sounded sterile as ever. I hate it

Pro Fools.......
Well I would have to be loosing enough business to justifie the cost. That's a hell of a lot of business heh. If I am turning away that many I am flooded with biz anyway. I am totaly happy with what I have. I just need more outboard gear and a few nice effect plugs.

F.S.
Old 16th August 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
It does when you slap an "Obsidian" by Dramastic Audio on it.heh


We must indeed maintain our sense of humor.
Old 16th August 2007
  #42
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
You know, it is very interesting that it is mainly people that don't use Protools HD that say it's on its way out, that it is unnecessary anymore, outdated, and on and on. I have read countless, really, countless threads on Protools HD bashing and you know what I've surmised? People who use Protools HD, that being the vast majority of serious studios, don't bash Protools. Yes, they may have a gripe or two, but for the overwhelmingly majority of them, they love Protools and would not want to use anything else. There are a few exceptions:

Tony Belmont

What you do find is that people in general want what they use to be superior. So they bash something they don't like or feel they can’t justify. I am in no way saying that Protools HD is for everyone, it is for me, but not everyone. However, to say that it is obsolete and is no longer a contender (Summarizing), well that is plain nonsense. It is wishful thinking and frankly for the wrong reason.

Now I drive a Mustang GT, it's a great car, actually a midlife crisis kind of thing, but a great car regardless. You will find that people who own Mustangs love them and swear by them. But, you will find people that say Mustang GT's are no good, a Charger is more of a car, or forget those dated things, get a 300Z, or whatever. Now it's ok to want to buy a different car, but to say my GT is not any good, dated body frame, not a performer like other cars. Well that would be crazy, especially if you took my car for a drive.

Now the response to that would be, I’ve taken Protools for a drive and I didn’t like it, not one bit. There are some that will say this and for them, it’s an accurate statement. I would say that about Logic Pro, but others will swear buy it. As much as I think Logic Pro is garbage, I would not suggest that people not use it. I will give the reasons I don’t like it, but, people can decide for themselves. For many, it is a perfect solution:

Tony Belmont

So what’s my point? Well it’s this. Use what you like, but don’t be naïve and say crazy things like Protools will fall the way of the ADAT. That’s foolish talk.

Whew, this wore me out!!!
QUICK DISCLAIMER: If you read this whole thing, you will know why I prefer Logic over Pro Tools. If you care, then read the whole thing... If you don't, then don't read any of it. Barry, I hope you don't think I'm arguing with you I just want people to know my whole story, which a lot of people don't. You're still in your Pro Tools honeymoon period, anyway. hehI remember what it was like...

A long time ago (probably 153 DAW years heh), I spent a week at Digidesign in Daly City learning the in's and out's of PT. Liked it so much I bought an HD system the DAY it was released. I am a certified Pro Tools operator and have plaques to prove it. As far as audio, it was at one point light years ahead of everyone else. Especially when we were all using G3's and G4's... I mean you couldn't do ANY serious work with out a TDM system. And, of course it's a great program for recording and mixing... no one can argue that. I owned my HD system for years... I upgraded it to Accel when that came out... then, I got pissed off because I knew that they were going to keep doing that to me over and over with upgrade after upgrade... The one thing people don't realize is that Digidesign is a HARDWARE company... Their business model is based on people having to buy hardware, locking them in, and getting them to upgrade to the new HARDWARE when it comes out. There is nothing wrong with that, but for some people it doesn't make much sense to have to always have a very pricey upgrade around the corner. The fact is that the HARDWARE upgrade philosophy has reached the pinnacle of that model. I don't think it can go in that same direction any longer. It didn't make sense financially for me to have $20k tied up in my HD system. Selling it was the best thing I ever did... which leads me to my biggest problem and why I really sold it above most all other reasons:

MIDI SEQUENCING & COMPATIBILITY WITH VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS! The big issue for me with using the program, was the fact that Digidesign was about 3 years behind everyone when it came to supporting virtual instruments... Up until recently, it was really an incomplete program.The whole midi sequencing and routing for virtual instruments sucked really bad and DESTROYED my work flow. That is, when it wasn't crashing with one instance of B4 or some other virtual instrument causing an error... I mean, I had a really HORRIBLE experience with using Pro Tools and virtual instruments (which I'm told has gotten better with 7)... I wouldn't wish it on anyone. When people say the midi sucks in Pro Tools, it was atrocious. As good as it was at editing audio, is as bad as it was at midi. And that's being polite.

So, what could I do? I'm a producer/ engineer... I compose music... I track things... I mix stuff for myself and others... I have a TON of gear (both midi and outboard)... But, what was most important to me? MY WORKFLOW... getting the things that I need done FAST...

So, I tried Cubase as my DAW... it worked OK for me and I was content... Kind of settled on it, and came to terms with telling A&R's that I was using Cubase/Nuendo put me in a lower light. I mean they looked at me like I had three heads when I would tell them "I mixed it in Nuendo"... the common response was "connected to Pro Tools, right?".... What ever. I was fine with it... the end product was all that mattered.

Then the day came..... my good friend Mike told me to try Logic. He was familiar with my workflow and he is a smart guy. I told him... "no that's OK, I'm good right now." for weeks.... Then, I talked to a buddy of mine who over the course of a couple of months mixed three major label projects completely in Logic (stuff that was top 10 in billboard charts).... it gave it some credibility to me because he was using it. ... so, Mike finally got me to his studio and SHOWED ME how to use Logic. See that's the big thing, it's a program that is very deep. Someone needs to show you how to use it efficiently. If you're just some guy who buys it, installs it and tries it... you'll mostly likely hate it. Pro Tools has the instant satisfaction appeal that a lot of people need. With Logic that satisfaction comes when you master the program a couple of months down the road.

Suddenly everything that I wanted to do became much simpler than Cubase... Infinitely faster than Pro Tools for me. See, I need to write a song, record my midi gear, record vocals, record percussion, some guitars and everything else and do it FAST. I couldn't do it fast in Pro Tools, because the midi was simply atrocious... I could only do the "tracking and mixing" part FAST. What about the composing, the creative aspects of programming, and having one program that can do it all. THAT'S WHAT LOGIC IS TO ME.

At this point, I can do anything and everything I need to do right in Logic natively with my Mac Pro... I can run 150 TRACKS with 250-300 PLUGINS without a hiccup. It made all of my DAW dreams come true when the Mac Pro was released. It is screamingly faster than my HD ACCEL system was... and it cost about 1/10th the price that my Accel system did.

So, to recap... for my needs I have a system that has all of the PRO features that I need like automatic delay compensation, and extremely low latency... all of the midi and virtual instrument support you could ever want... and all of the plugins I like (except for McDSP)... It's more powerful plugin processing wise and above all COSTS A FRACTION OF THE HD SYSTEM. And, it is more efficient for my work flow..

BTW, I still have a PT system for file compatibility with clients.... then I bring everything into Logic and mix it.

I truly feel that unless you are a commercial studio or simply MUST have the file compatibility, it's extremely difficult to justify the costs of an HD system. It becomes a personal preference thing like Barry was saying.

But, all of this moaning and groaning about what is better? WHO CARES... there is no answer... It's what SUITS YOUR NEEDS BETTER! Pro Tools HD suits the needs of a lot of working professionals... good for them. Logic Pro suits the needs of a different kind of working professional... good for them.. But, when did it become cool to put so much time into discussing a topic like this? I mean seriously over the last couple of years, there is at least one thread going at all times with this EXACT subject... the answer is simple... if you DON'T KNOW if you need Pro Tools HD, then you don't...

I just wrote all of this out so I can link to it when people ask me what I think on this whole nonsense.... and then people will KNOW.
Old 16th August 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
People who use Protools HD, that being the vast majority of serious studios, don't bash Protools.
Well, lots of them log into the DUC and report about stuff that doesn't work - because just like with all other DAWs, PT has it's good and bad sides. But of course, if someone would be unhappy with Pro Tools to the degree that he would start bashing it, he probably would stop using it instead of keep using it and bashing it, which may explain why most PT users don't bash PT - like Tony (and myself) they have decided to not be PT users anymore instead of keep using and bashing it.

Then again - many Logic users bash Logic these days, because they are waiting for an update containing stuff they have been waiting for for a long time. Some of them have already switched to another DAW, while others keep ranting and hope for better days.

While bashing is boring (well, most of the time ), it's interesting thing is to find out what the real differences are, and then it's up to each and everyone to use what suits him.

The interesting thing about some of these threads (and this poll), is that the main problem is that people don't seem to agree about what the benefits of using PT actually are - one or two even claimed that none (or almost none) of the options on the list are valid reasons to use PT.

Being a long time PT and a long time Logic user, I'm not going to bash anything, but the real differences today are very different than the real differences were 10 years ago. The most interesting part is of course what the difference will be between the next generation of PT and the next generation of Logic - I think both will be quite different from what they are today.

It's interesting to see that on a user levels, people are 'bashing' platforms they don't use, but when talking with developers from Digidesign or Apple, they appreciate each other's work and seem to go very well along.
Old 16th August 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You forgot the " I don't use pro tools 'cause it sounds like crap" catagory.

Count me in that camp, next to Fletcher.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Maybe this new poll is more relevant for people who don't use Pro Tools:

Why do you NOT use/need Pro Tools HD?

Almost 70 people have answered already, but I see now that I should have phrased one of the reply options better: Instead of 'Better monitoring during record than native solutions (no need to use 3rd part mixers)' I should have written 'Better control of the monitoring situation during record than native solutions (no need to use 3rd part software mixers). Never mind. Most PT users may not have used a solution with a separate mixer app anyway.
Old 16th August 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
QUICK DISCLAIMER: If you read this whole thing, you will know why I prefer Logic over Pro Tools. If you care, then read the whole thing... If you don't, then don't read any of it. Barry, I hope you don't think I'm arguing with you I just want people to know my whole story, which a lot of people don't. You're still in your Pro Tools honeymoon period, anyway. hehI remember what it was like...

A long time ago (probably 153 DAW years heh), I spent a week at Digidesign in Daly City learning the in's and out's of PT. Liked it so much I bought an HD system the DAY it was released. I am a certified Pro Tools operator and have plaques to prove it. As far as audio, it was at one point light years ahead of everyone else. Especially when we were all using G3's and G4's... I mean you couldn't do ANY serious work with out a TDM system. And, of course it's a great program for recording and mixing... no one can argue that. I owned my HD system for years... I upgraded it to Accel when that came out... then, I got pissed off because I knew that they were going to keep doing that to me over and over with upgrade after upgrade... The one thing people don't realize is that Digidesign is a HARDWARE company... Their business model is based on people having to buy hardware, locking them in, and getting them to upgrade to the new HARDWARE when it comes out. There is nothing wrong with that, but for some people it doesn't make much sense to have to always have a very pricey upgrade around the corner. The fact is that the HARDWARE upgrade philosophy has reached the pinnacle of that model. I don't think it can go in that same direction any longer. It didn't make sense financially for me to have $20k tied up in my HD system. Selling it was the best thing I ever did... which leads me to my biggest problem and why I really sold it above most all other reasons:

MIDI SEQUENCING & COMPATIBILITY WITH VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS! The big issue for me with using the program, was the fact that Digidesign was about 3 years behind everyone when it came to supporting virtual instruments... Up until recently, it was really an incomplete program.The whole midi sequencing and routing for virtual instruments sucked really bad and DESTROYED my work flow. That is, when it wasn't crashing with one instance of B4 or some other virtual instrument causing an error... I mean, I had a really HORRIBLE experience with using Pro Tools and virtual instruments (which I'm told has gotten better with 7)... I wouldn't wish it on anyone. When people say the midi sucks in Pro Tools, it was atrocious. As good as it was at editing audio, is as bad as it was at midi. And that's being polite.

So, what could I do? I'm a producer/ engineer... I compose music... I track things... I mix stuff for myself and others... I have a TON of gear (both midi and outboard)... But, what was most important to me? MY WORKFLOW... getting the things that I need done FAST...

So, I tried Cubase as my DAW... it worked OK for me and I was content... Kind of settled on it, and came to terms with telling A&R's that I was using Cubase/Nuendo put me in a lower light. I mean they looked at me like I had three heads when I would tell them "I mixed it in Nuendo"... the common response was "connected to Pro Tools, right?".... What ever. I was fine with it... the end product was all that mattered.

Then the day came..... my good friend Mike told me to try Logic. He was familiar with my workflow and he is a smart guy. I told him... "no that's OK, I'm good right now." for weeks.... Then, I talked to a buddy of mine who over the course of a couple of months mixed three major label projects completely in Logic (stuff that was top 10 in billboard charts).... it gave it some credibility to me because he was using it. ... so, Mike finally got me to his studio and SHOWED ME how to use Logic. See that's the big thing, it's a program that is very deep. Someone needs to show you how to use it efficiently. If you're just some guy who buys it, installs it and tries it... you'll mostly likely hate it. Pro Tools has the instant satisfaction appeal that a lot of people need. With Logic that satisfaction comes when you master the program a couple of months down the road.

Suddenly everything that I wanted to do became much simpler than Cubase... Infinitely faster than Pro Tools for me. See, I need to write a song, record my midi gear, record vocals, record percussion, some guitars and everything else and do it FAST. I couldn't do it fast in Pro Tools, because the midi was simply atrocious... I could only do the "tracking and mixing" part FAST. What about the composing, the creative aspects of programming, and having one program that can do it all. THAT'S WHAT LOGIC IS TO ME.

At this point, I can do anything and everything I need to do right in Logic natively with my Mac Pro... I can run 150 TRACKS with 250-300 PLUGINS without a hiccup. It made all of my DAW dreams come true when the Mac Pro was released. It is screamingly faster than my HD ACCEL system was... and it cost about 1/10th the price that my Accel system did.

So, to recap... for my needs I have a system that has all of the PRO features that I need like automatic delay compensation, and extremely low latency... all of the midi and virtual instrument support you could ever want... and all of the plugins I like (except for McDSP)... It's more powerful plugin processing wise and above all COSTS A FRACTION OF THE HD SYSTEM. And, it is more efficient for my work flow..

BTW, I still have a PT system for file compatibility with clients.... then I bring everything into Logic and mix it.

I truly feel that unless you are a commercial studio or simply MUST have the file compatibility, it's extremely difficult to justify the costs of an HD system. It becomes a personal preference thing like Barry was saying.

But, all of this moaning and groaning about what is better? WHO CARES... there is no answer... It's what SUITS YOUR NEEDS BETTER! Pro Tools HD suits the needs of a lot of working professionals... good for them. Logic Pro suits the needs of a different kind of working professional... good for them.. But, when did it become cool to put so much time into discussing a topic like this? I mean seriously over the last couple of years, there is at least one thread going at all times with this EXACT subject... the answer is simple... if you DON'T KNOW if you need Pro Tools HD, then you don't...

I just wrote all of this out so I can link to it when people ask me what I think on this whole nonsense.... and then people will KNOW.
Thanks for taking the time to breakdown your PERSONAL situation. I still think Pro Tools is crap for midi. I once bought Logic and like you said, I hated it and went back to DP for my sequencing instead. I still use PT for audio because for ME, nothing is faster. The work flow you talk about is something that is invaluable. When I do Midi in PT, I have the exact same issues. It feels more like I'm working the software instead of me just creating naturally and staying in the vibe. No good for getting "that" sound.
Old 16th August 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Tony, I had the opposite experience you did.

I do all those things you mention you need to do.

I was on Performer before it was Digital Performer, and bought Logic when it was first introduce in the US.

Last year, I left my LE system to explore the wonders of native. I got Logic and spent almost a year with it. It was a total nightmare. Any problem I had, and I had a bunch, was addressed on the Logic forum with "Yeah, well Apple knows it's Coreaudio thing, they are working on it..." or ...."Yeah, Freeze has never worked consistently, I'd avoid it..." or "Maybe it's your RME interface, did you leave a message on the RME forum..." etc, etc, etc.

It was hands down the ugliest interface I had ever worked with (the mixer looks like a toy, c'mon Tony, lets get real) and I didn't have ANY kind of daily stability in the program. I went to Nuendo from there, and I did notice a difference in the sound (for the better) but it had some seriously stupid issues with it, and was again, unstable on the Mac. PC users seemed fine with it.

I finally got an HD2 system and all I do is work. I don't have to leave 80 messages asking why something isn't workiing YMMV of course I'm glad you are getting work done, but I would never build my studio around the whims of Apple's Coreaudio driver and 3rd party interfaces, sorry. I like the one system approach, where if something is funky, there is one number to call. I honestly haven't had to call Digi in literally years.

TH
Old 16th August 2007
  #47
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Tony, I had the opposite experience you did.

I do all those things you mention you need to do.

I was on Performer before it was Digital Performer, and bought Logic when it was first introduce in the US.

Last year, I left my LE system to explore the wonders of native. I got Logic and spent almost a year with it. It was a total nightmare. Any problem I had, and I had a bunch, was addressed on the Logic forum with "Yeah, well Apple knows it's Coreaudio thing, they are working on it..." or ...."Yeah, Freeze has never worked consistently, I'd avoid it..." or "Maybe it's your RME interface, did you leave a message on the RME forum..." etc, etc, etc.

It was hands down the ugliest interface I had ever worked with (the mixer looks like a toy, c'mon Tony, lets get real) and I didn't have ANY kind of daily stability in the program. I went to Nuendo from there, and I did notice a difference in the sound (for the better) but it had some seriously stupid issues with it, and was again, unstable on the Mac. PC users seemed fine with it.
I don't have problems with Logic... But, I don't use the freeze function, and don't have an RME interface.

The only issue that sometimes comes up is a bug with the mighty mouse when the program is open for a long time. The little mod wheel will just stop working and I have to close & reopen the session (or not use the little wheel for a while).

That's pretty much it over here. What version did you have?
Old 16th August 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 
taturana's Avatar
why is this posted in the high end section?


(sorry, i couldn´t resist the urge to do that once!!heh)
Old 16th August 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
why is this posted in the high end section?


(sorry, i couldn´t resist the urge to do that once!!heh)
Uh...maybe because these are all high end programs?

TH
Old 16th August 2007
  #50
Lives for gear
 
slaves666's Avatar
I DONT USE IT.
Old 16th August 2007
  #51
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I don't have problems with Logic... But, I don't use the freeze function, and don't have an RME interface.

The only issue that sometimes comes up is a bug with the mighty mouse when the program is open for a long time. The little mod wheel will just stop working and I have to close & reopen the session (or not use the little wheel for a while).

That's pretty much it over here. What version did you have?
Logic 7 something.

But boy, I wonder if we are onto something. I have a Kensington Expert Mouse with a scroll ring on it. The thing is great, but will just suddenly stop working. I have to quit and go back into whatever, Pro Tools, Safari, to get it to work again, and sometimes that doesn't even work. It seems to come and go with the moon. Must be a Mac thing with these mod wheel attachments...

Tom
Old 16th August 2007
  #52
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Logic 7 something.
It was probably one of the early versions of 7... they were pretty buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Logic 7 something.

But boy, I wonder if we are onto something. I have a Kensington Expert Mouse with a scroll ring on it. The thing is great, but will just suddenly stop working. I have to quit and go back into whatever, Pro Tools, Safari, to get it to work again, and sometimes that doesn't even work. It seems to come and go with the moon. Must be a Mac thing with these mod wheel attachments...

Tom
I think so... It's interesting to hear you are having the same issue in PT.
Old 16th August 2007
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
hurd300403's Avatar
 

IMO after years of using Pro Tools HD, Cubase, Logic, and DP I have determined that Sonar 6 Pro with RME Fireface rig rules all. End of story for me. I'm so surprised sonar doesn't get more recognition around these parts...esp after the upgrade to 6. Probably because of no Mac version....

bye!
Old 17th August 2007
  #54
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
[HTML]Pro tools ........sounded sterile as ever. I hate it

Pro Fools.......

How True
Old 17th August 2007
  #55
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

I was forced to use protools last week at a session. sounded sterile as ever. I hate it

Pro Fools.......
So True...
Old 17th August 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Tony, I had the opposite experience you did.

I do all those things you mention you need to do.

I was on Performer before it was Digital Performer, and bought Logic when it was first introduce in the US.

Last year, I left my LE system to explore the wonders of native. I got Logic and spent almost a year with it. It was a total nightmare. Any problem I had, and I had a bunch, was addressed on the Logic forum with "Yeah, well Apple knows it's Coreaudio thing, they are working on it..." or ...."Yeah, Freeze has never worked consistently, I'd avoid it..." or "Maybe it's your RME interface, did you leave a message on the RME forum..." etc, etc, etc.

It was hands down the ugliest interface I had ever worked with (the mixer looks like a toy, c'mon Tony, lets get real) and I didn't have ANY kind of daily stability in the program. I went to Nuendo from there, and I did notice a difference in the sound (for the better) but it had some seriously stupid issues with it, and was again, unstable on the Mac. PC users seemed fine with it.

I finally got an HD2 system and all I do is work. I don't have to leave 80 messages asking why something isn't workiing YMMV of course I'm glad you are getting work done, but I would never build my studio around the whims of Apple's Coreaudio driver and 3rd party interfaces, sorry. I like the one system approach, where if something is funky, there is one number to call. I honestly haven't had to call Digi in literally years.

TH
This is my story as well.
Old 17th August 2007
  #57
Gear Maniac
 
TheGetDown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassie12 View Post
So nice to see that two "elder statesman" of audio/GS can not only not read but are fully capable of acting like pissy internet teenagers. Messrs Fletcher & Williams, your responses to this thread speak volumes of your "professionalism". I'm sure you don't need my money, but you need never fear seeing it either.heh

WELL SAID
Old 17th August 2007
  #58
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGetDown View Post
WELL SAID
Um Hum
Old 17th August 2007
  #59
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Pro Fools.......
LOL
Old 17th August 2007
  #60
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
This may be one of the dumbest polls I've seen yet!!

Congratulations!!

You forgot to add the response "Because I'm a sheep, and everyone else is using the miserable sounding crap"
This is me laughing heh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
the tortoise / Product Alerts older than 2 months
4
Andi Rauscher / So much gear, so little time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump