The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixdown chain- Masterlink or back into DAW? Equalisers (HW)
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Nut

Mixdown chain- Masterlink or back into DAW?

I was wondering if folks are using a Masterlink rather than another computer as their end-of-chain cycle because its cheaper/ easier than going back into the DAW. I searched and searched for a thread created a while back that had everyone stating their mixdown chain that involved a lot of nice High-end outboard gear and their DAWs. I just couldn't find it. If anyone can dig it up, that would be great. I am pretty sure I'll be purchasing a Cranesong Hedd and other 2-buss compressor favorites to create a workable chain. I'm just not sure about whether looping back into the DAW or using a Masterlink or the new Korg would be the best option.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisongs View Post
I was wondering if folks are using a Masterlink rather than another computer as their end-of-chain cycle because its cheaper/ easier than going back into the DAW. I searched and searched for a thread created a while back that had everyone stating their mixdown chain that involved a lot of nice High-end outboard gear and their DAWs. I just couldn't find it. If anyone can dig it up, that would be great. I am pretty sure I'll be purchasing a Cranesong Hedd and other 2-buss compressor favorites to create a workable chain. I'm just not sure about whether looping back into the DAW or using a Masterlink or the new Korg would be the best option.
The biggest advantage of mixing to an external recorder via analog is that you are not bound to the sample rate you track with. This can come in handy when you are working with tracks from other studios, where you aren't always working at the same sample rate.
Old 14th August 2007
ODZ
Gear Nut

Do both. Why not?
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have wondered about this too.

Would you hit the masterlink with a digital signal? I am under the impression that the masterlink converters are weak.

Is this true?
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
I have wondered about this too.

Would you hit the masterlink with a digital signal? I am under the impression that the masterlink converters are weak.

Is this true?
This is what I was thinking- the digital ins to the Masterlink.

But again- I ask- where's that wonderful thread with everybody's mixdown chain of analog gear and Cranesong Hedd use?? Seemed like a lot of folks had a Smart C2s followed by another compressor(usually a tube type) and then the Hedd and then a master recorder or back into the DAW. Someone please find that thread!
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Maniac

it's masterlink converters vs. your DAW converters, right?
i haven't heard the masterlink, but i know some people really like how it sounds.
me i like gonig back into my DAW, but i spread some serious cheddar on my a/ds so it's no comparison.

steven walcott
Engine Studios
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Addict

Korg MR-1000 DSD Recorder thumbsup

I prefer the mix captured by the MR-1000, in the DSD format, and then played back with it too. It sounds better than captured by the Lavry Gold at 24/96 into Samplitude.

And it's only $1200. It's a no brainer.
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Nut

Well thatnks for all who have responded but can anyone post that thread that has everybody's mixdown chain listed??
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryschien View Post
Korg MR-1000 DSD Recorder thumbsup

I prefer the mix captured by the MR-1000, in the DSD format, and then played back with it too. It sounds better than captured by the Lavry Gold at 24/96 into Samplitude.

And it's only $1200. It's a no brainer.
Have you done a direct comparison? You would have to go d/a out of the MR-1000 in to the a/d of your interface, then into Samplitude, right? You wouldn't happen to have any sound files to compare? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting the Lavry Gold in the future. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega View Post
Have you done a direct comparison? You would have to go d/a out of the MR-1000 in to the a/d of your interface, then into Samplitude, right? You wouldn't happen to have any sound files to compare? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting the Lavry Gold in the future. Thanks.
(1) You SHOULD get a Lavry Gold. It's among the very best ADs. The vocals and guitars I tracked with Lavry Gold AD sound better than the Lavry Blue AD, which IMHO is already better than the Apogees I've used or owned.

(2) Yes I have done a direct comparison.

(3) The MR-1000 doesn't have any digital I/O. Just record in the DSDformat, with its analog inputs and playback with its analog outputs sounds the best among all. Hard to believe, but it's true.

(4) I'd still suggest that you buy a Lavry Gold, if your purpose is to track vocals or instruments. The MR-1000 sounds stunning, but there's no way to edit the things you record in DSD format as what you can do with a DAW at 24/96, for example, vocal compiling.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

My audio pathway for mixing

Out of DAW to analog console with outboard gear inserted as necessary. Stereo bus with Pendulum ES8 and Manley Massive Passive. The analog stereo signal hits a Crangsong Hedd and is sent AES to a Tascam DVRA1000. I think that there are definite advantages to recording to a source other than the DAW for the final print. What I like most about the Cranesong Hedd is how it converts to 44.1/16 for compiling a redbook CD and since that is how the music will ultimately be heard I want to make sure that whatever pathway my music goes through to get to 44.1/16 that it is optimal. I personally don't like DAW sample rate conversion nor dithering.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Cool. Can we continue this discussion with what people's 2buss chain outside the DAW is and to what recorder it ends up at?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

bump!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search