The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Control Surfaces and other stuff that makes DAW life easier
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

Control Surfaces and other stuff that makes DAW life easier

let's discuss some control surface tips / techniques / pro's / con's etc etc ....

I for one cannot mix with a mouse. Even a trackball is better.

These days almost every daw has a control surface solution. Both expensive and less expensive ones.

And there's other stuff too that makes daw life easier. THe contour shuttle pro is one of those little very inexpensive goodies that makes DAW use easier.

Even software stuff like quickkeys can take over lots of mouse operations.

discuss options .... let us know what makes your life easier in your daw world.
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

Chris,
Great topic for me as I just added a Control24 to my home studio. I'm still just getting my feet wet in this arena but for my needs this thing is the s#@t!!! I will be watching this thread closely for tips and such, but I can definitely say that the marriage of "analog control" ( faders, knobs, buttons, etc.) to digital "stuff" (computer) just makes everything feeeeeeeel right, you know?? Love this forum, and am soaking it ALL up like a sponge! Big thanks to you all, please carry on and pardon my rambles....
Tommy Dwyer
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

great .... tell us what you like / not like about your C24. Did you try the pre's yet ? what do you think of them?

One thing I like about the C24 is the CTRL/FLIP plugin parameters spread out on all 24 faders. ProControl only does this on the main unit .... would like to see that happening on faderpacks in the future ..... as a matter of fact .... think I'll pop over to the duc to harrass them about it ... heh heh
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

Good Idea! As for the pre's, better than the Wackies they replaced. Clean, pretty "white-bread" as it were, could use more gain. But all in all for my application the C24 package was a good buy. And yes, I LOVE the flip option for sends!!! As I said in my earlier post this is a new toy in my playpen, but I'll post more as I get deeper in the muck. I will say though that inside of an hour on this puppy that I no longer had to touch the keyboard or trackball!!! Tommy Dwyer
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

O.K. Read my earlier post Chris, and I realised that I really didn't give you squat. Sooooo, as for the pre's, clean, no color per se but they work well for toms, room mics, and I actually got a pretty nice acoustic guitar sound using a TLM103 straight in. (Alright, so the mic gives away the level of the place but it's what I've got).
Two of the features that I really like are the monitor section and the line submixer section. Multiple monitor possibilities includeing surround (I wish) capable of cue sends galore, and the submixer is great for bringing in synths, keys, samplers,etc. More to come..........................TommyD
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Charles ... you mix with a PC right ????? any tips .... ???

how about :

do you use the dsp section to control the plugins or do you often grab for the mouse?

for myself ... most often used plugins I'll know the dsp section by heart and don't bother to use the mouse. plugins I hardly ever use .... more mouse then dsp section I guess.

CTRL/FLIP parameters on the faders .... LOVE this one ... especially when automating during mixes. euh yes ... I automate plugins sometimes. (well more then sometimes realy .... not often though)

what else ??? ..... oh .... the channel matrix section .... never found the energy to froce myself into using that one .... can you convince me with some tips and tricks ????
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Tommyd,

Thanks for your input regarding the Control|24, and feel free to add more if/when you have time.

I am really interested in that desk for my home rig. When I found out it can be used with the 001...well, I was happy to hear that.

And I won't need to rent a crane to get it into my crib! Oh well. Gosh, how I miss watching mixing consoles dangling from cranes. Those were the days.

Currently I'm scraping by with a stock Mac keyboard and "hockey-puck" mouse. KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS! For you 001 lurkers lurking: Keyboard shortcuts are way cool, and they make the experience way more tactile than getting mouse-cramp. You can download a 10-page PDF from Digi loaded with keyboard shortcuts, many of which are not shown in the PT menus.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
And I won't need to rent a crane to get it into my crib! Oh well. Gosh, how I miss watching mixing consoles dangling from cranes. Those were the days.

Reminds me of seeing a huge AMEK being moved out of the opera control room in Brussels. They had to saw the frame into 4 .... yes FOUR pieces to get it out without breaking up the walls. The frame was put in whithout the walls being there back in the 80's when they transformed the place. Damn .... as much as it was kinda funny that .... deep down as a gearslut it hurt.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminds me of seeing a huge AMEK being moved out of the opera control room in Brussels. They had to saw the frame into 4 .... yes FOUR pieces to get it out without breaking up the walls. The frame was put in whithout the walls being there back in the 80's when they transformed the place. Damn .... as much as it was kinda funny that .... deep down as a gearslut it hurt.

Taking a saw to an AMEK console? Ouch!

But I can also totally imagine the director of a Belgian opera house, screaming, "You will cut that gizmo before you cut my walls!!!"

Life is full of tough choices, init?
Old 9th November 2002
The moving faders on my ProControl make automation at mixdown very cool. I can easily get members of the band or the artist to grab a fader and show me how they hear it.

Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

We're in the process of building a new facility right now and we've decided to go with two Full 48 fader and edit pack Pro Controls. Both for the ease of use, and the look of our rooms. We'll have an edit suit with just the PC as well. We've used the Pro Control several times on mixes and absolutly love it, verses the mouse or trackball. Espically when dealing with 60 plus tracks and doing a lot of automation. It feels better to auto-touch with your finger on that fader.

(I just hope if digi's gonna modify those things, they do it before our order goes through!)
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

Had a C24 for a while now, soon after release, the faders are nice. The flip function on sends is cool for Foldback etc. The pres are clean and ok for utility stuff, the delete copy etc are in the wrong place, top right I end up using the mouse to edit as it is just quicker with selecting and hitting keyboard keys. Never find the faders fight me like other automation I have used. Vegas mode looks inpressive with 24 faders going. Really trying to get off the mouse/keyboard and monitor and just use me fricking ears instead.

pros.
24 faders.
touch senstive
flip function.
transport, scrub wheel etc.
input monitor on a switch.. this is cool.
16 pres.

Cons.
scribble strip only 4 letters.
Layout of editing stuff on right.
apple keys etc on far left from edit stuff.
height, monitor above is a bit too high.
16 just ok pres..
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

I love my ProControl!, I can't imagine mixing in PT without it now.

Chris you really should learn to nail the matrix, it's dead handy especially dealing with faders that are off bank.

The thing I love about the ProControl is it works!, all the time, everytime!

Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah, I had to go thru 4 (!) C/24 with various problems (Like fader and audio power transformers dying with a loud BANG! mid session... fuuck ) before getting a PC in exchange and there is no comparisons really! I like the matrix for editing fader groups too.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Nowak
I love my ProControl!, I can't imagine mixing in PT without it now.

Chris you really should learn to nail the matrix, it's dead handy especially dealing with faders that are off bank.

The thing I love about the ProControl is it works!, all the time, everytime!

Teach me some matrix tricks .... please ....
Old 15th November 2002
Yeah - me too. I rarely use it 'cept to select drum tracks to make a group or something..

Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

I always try and set the mixer up the same for each session so I get familiar with the board, this helps greatly when using the matrix because getting around the matrix requires that you know the mixer setup.

I'm using the matrix to rec arm tracks, to automate mutes, and solo tracks, especially those that are "off bank", another handy feature is the "clear all" if you wanna deselect track etc etc.

Again I can't stress how important it is to be working with a familiar mix "template".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search