The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor Electro Harmonix NY-2A ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Compressor Electro Harmonix NY-2A ?

Hello to all here,

Any experience with this one ?

Worth to have an ear on it ?

Usable for mastering ?

Thanks for your answers.
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

The NY-2A is an excellent compressor that is extremely versatile as far as optos go.

The ELOP mode is what you'd expect. Smooth and relatively transparent. This is typically what I use on vocals or across a mix. There is a "squash" switch with works like a de-esser, almost, pushing down the high end. I find this useful for those tracks that you get which have clipped an 002 or the likes. It can also save a sibilant vocalist or an overly bright guitar.

The LED mode is fantastic on guitars. In fact, its one of my favorite compressors for guitars, even over the LA3A.

THE incandescent mode is a bit weird and I honestly haven't used it that much. I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point. Its just that I am always using the OPTO and LED modes so much.

In my opinion, these boxes deserve to sit alongside all of the usual "big boys." A future classic.
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, what dokushoka said...

It's a great piece, but mine was extremely, extremely noisy.
Old 13th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's a very cool box . . . . . but, mine actually blew up last december. It's been at EH since then for repair and they've given me the run around for the last 5 months. Lot's of emails saying "it will be shipped this week".

If you can get a good price go for it. But if you have a problem beware, it may not come back to you in a timely manner.
Old 13th August 2007
member no 666

They sent one up here for us to check out... one channel of it seemed quite "OK" [nothing to have wet dreams over... but certainly useable], the other channel was definitely having "issues".

This was like two years ago... we sent it back for them to fix the other channel, called repeatedly for the next couple of months [we really wanted to like the thing] but alas the unit was never sent back up for further evaluation.

With all the cool stuff that is currently available it seems a little superflous to have to hunt down a unit [and from what I read in an earlier post] it also seems a bit ridiculous to have to wait months to get a broken unit worked on and returned.

Could just be me... but those are my impressions... as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 13th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Well, I had a good idea to post here.

It will avoid me to search for a trial of this one here in France (really hard to find anyway).
It's a pity because most of you seem to like the sound of this comp.
But a good factory's support is a must for me if I spend a lot on any gear.

Thanks to all for your inputs.

I guess Pendulum OCL-2 is more on my way...
Old 13th August 2007
Gear Maniac

NY-2A

I love mine. I've got a pair, and I think they're awesome, for a cool, flavor-box type of comp. Yes, it's true that the company is a bit quirky. I guess it helps that I'm only about forty-five minutes away from New Sensor Corp. One of mine had to be re-capped recently, and the company did totally right by me. Rick Stevenson and JC Morrison have always bent over backwards to help me out. Hope this helps.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.myspace.com/markcattano
www.heedmusic.com
Old 13th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cattano View Post
I love mine. I've got a pair, and I think they're awesome, for a cool, flavor-box type of comp. Yes, it's true that the company is a bit quirky. I guess it helps that I'm only about forty-five minutes away from New Sensor Corp. One of mine had to be re-capped recently, and the company did totally right by me. Rick Stevenson and JC Morrison have always bent over backwards to help me out. Hope this helps.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.myspace.com/markcattano
www.heedmusic.com
Same here. Rick and JC have always made the NY2A right. I have one of the first 25 made, and it is really a fun box. i wouldnt want it to be my ONLY compressor, of course, but it has done the trick on more than a few sessions where nothing else in the rack was really doing it for me, and I have collected many, many, many compresors....
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

NY-2A Stereo link

I'm trying to figure out the link...it appears to not link on mine. Everything is independent adjust with the link in or out including and especially the meters which don't lock in link mode...I have to adjust each channels compress knob and threshold to get equal GR meter readings...but it doesn't appear to be a real link.

How does your link switch work?
Old 19th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

I love mine also.

I like using it during mixdown with one channel on lead vocal and one channel on bass. I've also used it on vocal buss to good effect. REALLY dig it. Squash mode is excellent on vocals.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have one. I love it. Totally underrated piece and can be had for cheap on ebay. In opto its like a cleaner la2a imho. The unit uses lundhal transformers on the in and out and some obscure tubes...overall this adds up to a nice coloration that works on a lot of things. I haven't had much luck with LED, but I may try it on guitars in the future as mentioned. I use incandecent on drums quite a bit because I prefer the slower attack..incandecent can be killer on kick!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

As I posted in another thread, EH emailed me yesterday to tell me they are sending me a brand new unit !!!!!! That's pretty cool. . . .
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Good for you, Rob!

Mark Cattano

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I'm trying to figure out the link...it appears to not link on mine. Everything is independent adjust with the link in or out including and especially the meters which don't lock in link mode...I have to adjust each channels compress knob and threshold to get equal GR meter readings...but it doesn't appear to be a real link.

How does your link switch work?
Ok, EH said you must have the compress knob on the right side all the way down-counter clockwise, when using the link, then adjust the compress knob on the left side only. No mention of this in the manual. It's not a hard link though, there is some bleed through like the LA-2A. They recommend to NOT use the link in stereo uses.

I don't always link in stereo anyways....so no big deal I guess.

On a different note, there was no way I could get the top cover off...those allen bolts seem to be welded in they are so tight! I was about to break my allen wrench. If I ever have to get to the tubes, I might have to send the whole damn unit back to EH. On top of that, I don't get to see this baby nude...I'm as slutty as they come, I like to see all my gear nude at least once
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Ok, EH said you must have the compress knob on the right side all the way down-counter clockwise, when using the link, then adjust the compress knob on the left side only. No mention of this in the manual. It's not a hard link though, there is some bleed through like the LA-2A. They recommend to NOT use the link in stereo uses.

I don't always link in stereo anyways....so no big deal I guess.

On a different note, there was no way I could get the top cover off...those allen bolts seem to be welded in they are so tight! I was about to break my allen wrench. If I ever have to get to the tubes, I might have to send the whole damn unit back to EH. On top of that, I don't get to see this baby nude...I'm as slutty as they come, I like to see all my gear nude at least once
I broke two allen wrenches getting the lid off mine!

The guts are pretty cool. The PCB is massive, it takes up the whole case almost. The lundahl output transformers are huge also... like the size of a small fist. They use some weird tubes ... i noted the tube types in another thread. I've always wondered if the unit would take on much of a different vibe if I swapped for NOS tubes. Stock they use, you guessed it, EH tubes.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah they are pretty impressive on the inside. These things get HOT, too. I actually added some additional holes in the top of the case to let more heat out and that seems to help quite a bit.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's one of the things I was considering...adding more vent holes.

I just couldn't risk my allen wrench....I only have 1 of that size, which I need for other things. It seems like some of the allen bolts are screwed in a little crooked, so they maybe crossthreaded...maybe all of them are and why they are soo tight.

Why are they so friggin tight! There's like 20 bolts for just the top lid! Yet there was one allen bolt on the front face that was falling out. Crazy stuff I tell you.

I'll have to special order a forged steel allen wrench...or something....
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Nut

I have one and love it. sounds great on kick, snare and bass. It just brings things to life. One thing I don't like about it are the plastic knobs. I already have a problem with one and need to replace it and I'm just using the unit for less than a year. Other than that no problems. Classic peace of gear. Highly recommended.

chris
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dchris View Post
I have one and love it. sounds great on kick, snare and bass. It just brings things to life. One thing I don't like about it are the plastic knobs. I already have a problem with one and need to replace it and I'm just using the unit for less than a year. Other than that no problems. Classic peace of gear. Highly recommended.

chris
Weird, the knobs on my partner's are metal and really nicely machined. Maybe you have an earlier one? I think there were a few revisions.
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Weird, the knobs on my partner's are metal and really nicely machined. Maybe you have an earlier one? I think there were a few revisions.
Yep. Same with mine when I had it.
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Addict

mine are metal as well. Strange that there's plastic knobs floating around.

Since this thread got revived, maybe some of you fellow NY-2A users can share with me your favorite way of setting up the compression on this machine. Obviously it doesn't work like a typical compressor in terms of the controls. There's no setting your ratio and bringing down the threshold.. Well, not really at least..
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cattano View Post
One of mine had to be re-capped recently, and the company did totally right by me. Rick Stevenson and JC Morrison have always bent over backwards to help me out.
BUMP!
Does anybody know where Rick and JC are now?
I have an NY2A in need of some love and EHX says nobody that works there will service them anymore — throwing salt on the wound with, “the only guy we had to work on them is no longer with the company.”
Any reliable tech would do but I haven’t had any luck finding somebody locally in Houston and it sounds like these dudes were uniquely qualified.
If anybody has advice, thanks a lot!!!
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaibleman View Post
BUMP!
Does anybody know where Rick and JC are now?
I have an NY2A in need of some love and EHX says nobody that works there will service them anymore — throwing salt on the wound with, “the only guy we had to work on them is no longer with the company.”
Any reliable tech would do but I haven’t had any luck finding somebody locally in Houston and it sounds like these dudes were uniquely qualified.
If anybody has advice, thanks a lot!!!
Hmmm, strange. I actually discussed a repair on my NY-2A with EHX recently. They didn't imply at all that they couldn't work on it. I wound up not working with EHX on it since the cost was pretty high with their fee and shipping x2 all factored in. My local tech got the schematic from EHX and did a great job fixing it up. There was a fairly shocking number of things that were replaced.

So yeah I'm not sure whether my communication with them was before those guys left, or whether I got an entirely different story.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermind View Post
Hmmm, strange. I actually discussed a repair on my NY-2A with EHX recently. They didn't imply at all that they couldn't work on it. I wound up not working with EHX on it since the cost was pretty high with their fee and shipping x2 all factored in. My local tech got the schematic from EHX and did a great job fixing it up. There was a fairly shocking number of things that were replaced.

So yeah I'm not sure whether my communication with them was before those guys left, or whether I got an entirely different story.
i sold my NY2A a few months back .. loved that box !!! when i bought mine it did not have the Fan Kit, so i sent it to EHX .. 6 months before i got it back, and all they said was, we were waiting for the Fan Kit to arrive .. but they did not tell me that until after a dozen emails, and voicemails ..

every signal requires a bit of tweaking, each sensor sounds different and reacts differently to all the controls .. just play !!! in no time at all you will find a few things that work for you !!
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermind View Post
Hmmm, strange. I actually discussed a repair on my NY-2A with EHX recently.... My local tech got the schematic from EHX and did a great job fixing it up.
Thank you for the reply!

They told me they haven’t worked on one in about 2 years. I contacted them from different sources to different points of contact and they all told me I was screwed in so many words. I even asked for a schematic but they never offered it.

If I could get a schematic that would be extremely helpful. I am still trying to find a local tech willing to work on it. I am willing to ship it at this point.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
when i bought mine it did not have the Fan Kit, so i sent it to EHX .. 6 months before i got it back, and all they said was, we were waiting for the Fan Kit to arrive ..
Mine has the hole and grill for a fan...but no fan. This thing is a real mind-boggler. I am really disappointed in the service or lack there of and I have read so many nightmare stories about these so I guess that’s why they gave up on servicing them.

When it works, it is a cool device. I have used a functioning one before.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaibleman View Post
Mine has the hole and grill for a fan...but no fan. This thing is a real mind-boggler. I am really disappointed in the service or lack there of and I have read so many nightmare stories about these so I guess that’s why they gave up on servicing them.

When it works, it is a cool device. I have used a functioning one before.
put a fan on it as fast as you can .. before it burns something out like mine did ..
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
put a fan on it as fast as you can .. before it burns something out like mine did ..
I am certain that is at least PART of the problem here as there doesn’t appear to be power making it to the tubes.

Definitely need to drill more holes for airflow as well as put a fan or 2 in/around it.

I wonder if anybody has ever built an external power supply for this thing? Seems like that would at least reduce the likelihood of this obvious problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search