The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pultec EQP-1A Equalisers (HW)
Old 10th August 2007
Gear Maniac

That's cool if someone makes a piece of gear "inspired" by a classic unit without claiming it's a carbon copy (as Lucas seems to have done). So long as the unit sounds good on its own merits and it isn't marketed as a clone, I don't see a problem.

At the same time, it's a good reminder of the gear pimp's motive for posting about such a unit when he first claims such a unit sounds just like the original (to the point of arguing that buying an original unit is just a waste of money) but then when the designer contradicts him, the gear pimp then claims that, "The thing works like a wet dream on the music I record and mix... now THAT I care about... " and adds that any other discussion is "intellectual debate and horse****."

Rick
Old 11th August 2007
Gear Nut

Fletcher...

Yeah, but, it's Fletcher! That's why we love him... And i was goading him...

So what do you expect? The guy is a great personality and his company will always be top dog in my book.

it's ALL horse**** anyways. Especially what Fletcher says!

-j
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Nut
Hey folks, very interesting convo - i wonder if you guys might be able to help me find something.

I'm working on a masters thesis, and part of my project includes using a Tube Tech PE1C (which, based on this conversation, I will NOT claim is the same as any other piece of gear...but I know it's similar to a Pultec).

Does anybody know of any books or publications that discuss or make mention of the practical use or sonic characteristics of a Pultec or similar pieces of hardware?

Basically, I have to have to provide some context for why it's interesting to look into the sonic characteristics of classic tube gear like this, and I have to be able to cite some scholarly works.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 24th July 2012
Let's translate this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukpio View Post
Hello,

I think I should put my oar in...

The Amtec PEQ-1A is not a clone or, better put, a replica of Pultec EQP-1A, but they have much much more in common than simply being shelving EQ's.

My filter circuit differs from the Pultec's circuit only in that it has slightly extended range of the bass boost, extended range of the Bandwidth control on the high frequency peaking section, a few frequencies more in this section (including 20kHz peaking boost which is unmarked on the front panel) and 40kHz shelving cut frequency (which in my opinion is more usable than the 20kHz setting).
The topology is the same Western Electric circuitry as licenced to Pulse Techniques back in the fifties and it lets do the same simultaneous-boost-and-cut low frequency trick Pultec is famous for.

The tube amplifier stage has less noise (due to regulated power supplies and better grounding scheme), is cleaner and has more neutral sound, but is far from being transparent, because I was not looking for sonic transparency. I'm a big fan of gear that adds 'something' to sound, but it has to be in controlled amount, otherwise the device starts to be a one trick pony.

I know it will be very controversial, but I tried to make a 'better' version of the Pultec. Of course, good for me can be bad for the other, I'm aware of that, but I get a lot of feedback that my design has more uses than the original.

There's no better way to judge it than to judge it by yourself.
So I'll give this a try;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AMTEC is a recreation of the Pultec design with a modern attitude due to new insights and innovated parts. (The parts then were made with much more variation due to lesser accurate machines and chemical processes) (60 years of innovation does change a thing or two). The important parts that are responsible for this type of EQ being what it is however have been used again.

We made it happen so you can get your hands on a EQ that is brandspankin new and will function a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt the manufacturer just did not find the right words to do his creation justice. So I hope this helps him. I do notice Fletcher believes in the guy. Wich is good enough for me. I live in Europe and I do see there are alot of pioneers in Poland Russia, Romania and so on. And it is amazing they make such great products wich would otherwise be gone.

Let's not forget plastic will last for like a 100 years. In a few years the original Pulltec eq's will simply fall apart..
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Great summary of original Pultecs.
The Authoritative History of Pulse Techniques (Pultec) and the EQP1A

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search