The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio UA SOLO/110 or Great River ME-1NV (Charlie Sexton aim..)
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Addict

I try to sound like Dylan when I sing. People hate me for that.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Charlie Sexton's Cruel and Gentle Things Album is a great, great album. You do well to emulate it. This has become a very interesting thread.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Since when could Bob sing? I don't ever remember hearing him "sing"... throw some words around yeah... but I would hardly call that "singing".
Wow......Dylan sang with emotion, soul, purpose, and meaning that came straight from the heart of one of the greatest american songwriters to date. That makes him 1,000 times better than any of the crap you might have recorded for Miley Cyrus and company. - Tom
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Orrow View Post
Wow......Dylan sang with emotion, soul, purpose, and meaning that came straight from the heart of one of the greatest american songwriters to date. That makes him 1,000 times better than any of the crap you might have recorded for Miley Cyrus and company. - Tom
Old 9th September 2008
I've had both. If I could only have one, I'd take the GR. But it's not because the Solo/610 is bad at all. It's really nice. The GR is just more flexible so if you can only have one, it's probably the one to have.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I've had both. If I could only have one, I'd take the GR. But it's not because the Solo/610 is bad at all. It's really nice. The GR is just more flexible so if you can only have one, it's probably the one to have.
That is quite true. The Great River just has a seriously wide range of sound in that box when adjusting between the gain and the output. It really is the "if you can have just one" preamp.

I really like the SOLO 610 though. It has a great sound and it's a heck of a lot less expensive. I'm waiting to see how the UA 710 preamp might change the conclusions of this conversation.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Charlie Sexton compression - snap lip smacking

Sorry to dig this thread up again but it's my favourite vocal recording, ever.

Listen to
I Do The Same For You and Bring It Home Again
http://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Gentle-T.../dp/B000AARKP8
Or just buy the album and listen to it all!
Better quality clips here http://www.allmusic.com/album/cruel-...things-r784721 The title track has this really cool compression sound I'm referring to..

The initial transients of the vocal are really in your face like it's really close mic'd but the rest of the signal isn't. It's really lip smacking and snaps into focus. It's difficult to describe but the initial low end of the voice is brought into focus really well....like say the waves C4 is compressing the low end highly with the first milliseconds let though but 1 second after it snapping into the foreground.

Any tips?
1176 first on fast attack then LA2 or the other way around?

Maybe i should have started a new thread...
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

I know the GR and the UA stuff pretty well. And they have completely different sound.
The LA-610 is pretty warm and can get even muddy sometimes whereas the 4710 sounds "tight" ( I don t know how to explain it differently)
The GR stuff is transparent to me.
Here is a great shootout of different preamps on the same vocal with the same mic.
Gearfest 2011: Tracking 4/6 Vocal + Guitar - PUREMIX

This totally makes me think twice before choosing a preamp.
Old 25th January 2015
Here for the gear

Needless to say, it is difficult to find out much about the Solo 110 (due to it being discontinued). If anyone owns one of these, could you let me know what it might be comparable to? I already own a Daking Mic Pre One and a GAP Pre 73 and am looking for a clean and transparent pre for recording guitar on a AKG C414 XLS. I had considered the ISA One, however have spotted a used 110 (thus my question )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search