The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tchad Blake... Who else digs his work like me? Dynamic Microphones
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well...here we go again. I just found an Audio Logic MT66 for sale. $289.00 Prepal says the average price of the last five sold was $55.00
C'mon guys, chill out. It's a piece of junk! Don't do it, don't waste your money! You'd get more use out of a used sm57.
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

i will buy a fridmann production and am never disappointed. i no longer buy anything mixed by CLA.... which kinda pisses me off since a couple CD's i have wanted i put back as soon as i saw he mixed it. last few i got he ruined so no more.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Addict

Hey Alpha. Hip me to some more Fridmann stuff i should check out (besides M Rev). I'm a freakin' Flaming Lips junkie now.
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

get sparklehorse's 'its a wonderful life'. BLOWS the lips stuff away... and mercury rev too. that album makes radiohead look like preschoolers. you got to be in the "right" mood for it but if you give in to the album, you WILL be transported.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Maniac

I dig Sparklehorse too.

I never got into Mercury Rev though. Where the Flaming Lips were dangerously loose, I always felt Mercury Rev were sloppily loose. They had great ideas, with poor execution IMHO.
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by cram
I always felt Mercury Rev were sloppily loose. They had great ideas, with poor execution IMHO.
have you tried 'see you on the other side'? i can understand the previous releases sounding "sloppy", although more bent than sloppy... but see you on the other side is TIGHT.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool...

A.J. since your musical tastes are remarkably similar to mine, I'll trust ya. I'll see if I can track down a copy and check it out.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Addict

Just be careful when you say anything "blows away" Soft Bulletin, partner. Them's fightin' words!

Me buy Sparklehorse tomorrow.
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

i thought 'clouds taste metallic' blew away 'soft bulletin'... i saw the lips on tour during the soft bulletin period and was pissed off the drummer played keyboards instead of drums... and most of the music came off tape. i left half way through...

and i have been a lips fan since 'oh my gawd'
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Head

My favorite Fridmann record is the Elf Power record he did on The Arena Rock label(wish I could remeber the name). None the less that record one of the best drum sounds ever. I think the Mogwai record he did kinda blows a donkey... then again those guys hate Blur so inversly I hate them.
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Addict

You're just a kooky-rock-song-lovin' guy, Alpha. Clouds Taste Metalllic is fantastic. Bulletin transcends.

I just saw the Flips with Beck and I'm struggling with how I felt about it. I definitely felt great after the Lips' set (euphoric, even). But i'm not sure it was the music as much as the show which did it for me. There was some real drumming, though. I guess I have a hard time with anything that's locked to video. I prefer a live show which is utterly unpredictable.
Old 6th November 2002
There is only one

yes, i am... CTM is my pet sounds.

different strokes fer different folks.
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Addict

seen.
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
get sparklehorse's 'its a wonderful life'. BLOWS the lips stuff away... and mercury rev too. that album makes radiohead look like preschoolers. you got to be in the "right" mood for it but if you give in to the album, you WILL be transported.
hmmm...have to listen to this one again i guess (for engineering). seemed ok, another lofi thing (heard it 3 or 4 times), but the guys' voice bugged me after awhile. 1 trick pony. at least Thom Yorke can sing (more than 1 way)...

then again i think Radiohead's great anyway, but i certainly wouldn't mind it if someone else took a crack at mixing them. enough with distorted drums already...
Old 9th November 2002
There is only one

i listened about 5 times before it HIT me. of course that sixth time i was lit to the brim and it made me lose it a few times. there are "lofi" elements in the mix but its certainly not lofi on the whole. its quite HIGH-fi.

radioheads singer sings one way as well.... as do most singers. at least it comes across that way to me.
Old 31st May 2003
Gear Maniac

sparklehorse

That sparklehorse record (wonderful life) has got to be my number one discovery last year. Someone popped it on at 4 in the morning on some really nice ATC monitors. really low. And I hadn't been soothed by sonics like that for a while. It's not LoFi at all. The drums are actually squeaky clean. Vocal sounds like an RE20. Who cares. It's a great album.
Old 1st June 2003
There is only one

i really dig the vox sound on that one... i have also been quite taken of leonard cohens vox on his mid to latter stuff.... is it just me or was he putting out some stuff that hip hop guys would kill to sample? the beginning to 'everybody knows' HAS to of been used by now [i just havent heard it used], but damn his voice is DEEEEP. early tracks either dont do it justice or his voice dropped late in life. thought i would just share that.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

friddman-verbena souls for sale

Verbena-souls for sale is my favorite fridman record but it's not fridmann sounding at all as far as the drum sounds,but it's awesome.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

another vote on sparklehorse, great record, great songwriter/producer

leonard cohen's voice is great, and i really dug the era when when he went on tour with just a little casio keyboard (or what sounded like it)

i have a suspicion(i may be wrong), that some of the earlier stuff was sped up, so that songs would be faster and shorter (that's how much the timbre of his voice changed over the years)

wiggy, who's that engineer you mentioned? (i'm always looking for new and interesting guitar tones)

cheers
max
now of paris, france
Old 5th June 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by maxim
leonard cohen's voice is great, and i really dug the era when when he went on tour with just a little casio keyboard (or what sounded like it)
man, he has some VERY cheesy synth sounds but makes them work.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
man, he has some VERY cheesy synth sounds but makes them work.
The I'm Your Man album is an absolute MASTERPIECE! It is one of the best albums-ever- and on so many levels. Maybe it's just cause I got my first bj to that album, but I don't think so.

The drum programing on Jazz Police is freakin sick.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

I guess you know must be old when your first bj was monophonic!
Old 6th June 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
The drum programing on Jazz Police is freakin sick.
yeah, i mentioned that in some other thread, or maybe this one... the guy was so hip hop before hip hop even existed really. the beginning to everybody knows HAS to of been either sampled or it is certainly copped on soooo many hip hop tracks these days.

his drum tracks are just plain SICK. such a polyrhythmic affair.
Old 6th July 2003
Here for the gear

Tchad is the guy who changed my main inspiration from "instruments" like Guitar (my main squeeze) to the Studio itself. he's the one who makes me think we can still take production beyond 1973 (when I was... 3!).

Nice guy too. He actually let me sit in on a Lobos mix one day and proceeded to reveal all his production secrets to me!! So why can't I cop his VIBE dammit??

As for any doubters... have you guys HEARD Los Lobos' Kiko? It's from '91, and it makes this year's stuff sound dated.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search