The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Woodpecker Ribbon Microphones
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
congrats on getting it in! : )~
yes the highs are their but they are so smooth.
glad to hear you are liking the WOODPECKER!
Yeah, I gotta say... smooth and creamy, but still clear. Not muddy. I think it's a pretty underrated ribbon mic.
I'm just trying not to use it too much!
Old 8th August 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Yeah, I gotta say... smooth and creamy, but still clear. Not muddy. I think it's a pretty underrated ribbon mic.
I'm just trying not to use it too much!
the smooth and creamy high end, really hits the spot, i did not expect that from a ribbon mic.
Old 8th August 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

I wonder what it would be like on vocals going through the Hammer eq?

Quote:
the smooth and creamy high end, really hits the spot, i did not expect that from a ribbon mic.
Old 8th August 2008
500 series nutjob

i have used it with my A-Designs MP-2A and several of my 500 format pres, and the HAMMER is on my two buss, so i say great.
but HAMMER makes everything sound great, and that is not taking anything away from the WOODPECKER.
heh

my resent project is keeping me broke at the moment, but i would like a pair of the WOODPECKERS.
soon i hope : )~
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
my resent project is keeping me broke at the moment, but i would like a pair of the WOODPECKERS.
soon i hope : )~
BLUE Woodpecker B-Stock | Sweetwater.com

Hope that helps, pan!
Old 9th August 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

Also - don't forget Warren at Frontendaudio.com
He has the b stock units, a special financing plan and he will check the mics for you.

No offense intended to Sweetwater or others. There are many good sellers out there.
Old 9th August 2008
500 series nutjob

thank guys i love both shops but i am just to broke after picking up the ARSENAL AUDIO V14 EQs, which i love for insert use.
but i do not want to stere the topic so we can discuss these bad boys in another thread: )~
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

So, now that you've all had the mike for many moons, how do you feel about it now?
Mine has given me some grief......
Old 20th February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

What grief? What is going on? I have a pair that are just fine. They are not great for real quiet sources, but for many sources they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykane View Post
So, now that you've all had the mike for many moons, how do you feel about it now?
Old 20th February 2009
500 series nutjob

no problems here mine is fine.
Old 20th February 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
have you contacted BLUE?
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
have you contacted BLUE?
yes it's been back there once already and they are definately supportive. There was a distortion problem, so they replaced the ribbon, but it still sounds a bit lackluster compared to one I borrowed before buying this one. I think they are willing to service it again but I wondered if anyone else has had issues. It sounds peakey in the approx. 800 hz to 1.2k range, which was not the case in the one I tried previously.
Old 20th February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

That is a shame. I would ask for a new one as a replacement at this point. Hopefully, they will be responsive to that.
If I have any issue with the mic, it is the background noise level, but not a distortion problem.

Quote:
yes it's been back there once already and they are definately supportive. There was a distortion problem, so they replaced the ribbon, but it still sounds a bit lackluster compared to one I borrowed before buying this one. I think they are willing to service it again but I wondered if anyone else has had issues. It sounds peakey in the approx. 800 hz to 1.2k range, which was not the case in the one I tried previously.
Old 20th February 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
in my experience their service has been very very top shelf, one of the thing i love about BLUE.
i have not had any issues with mine, but i were you, i would get with them yet again.
maybe the ribbon was not the issue?
sometimes circuit issues do not always show up on a test bench, and if it is a problematic mic, they can easily swap out the amp or replace it, or at least i would think so?
yes they can be a bit noisy in some settings, and with some pres it seems, but it has not been a issue for me.
let me know if you have any issues in getting it taken care of.
Old 24th February 2009
500 series nutjob

here is a note from Skipper.

Hi pan60,
I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, however I travel allot these days as Blue had been growing dramatically over the last year. If anyone has a problem with a mic our service department is the way to go and they will fix it immediately.
Larry can just call and it will be taken care of. They are caring top notch guys in the service area. He can ask for Maggie or Andrew.
Hope you are doing well.
Skipper
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod View Post
Someone above said that different ribbons sound different on diff acoustic guitars/electric guitar amps. Yes that is very true. I would venture to say IMHO that that applies to drum OH duties as well. That's why I never liked ribbons on OH, and never will. Other producers, engineers, mixers, and mastering engineers will swear by these but I won't.

Nothing will ever replace a very high quality small condenser on acoustic guitars, or drum overheads, as nothing will ever replace a large FET or tube condenser for vocals.

Instead of spending so much time wondering what everybody thinks about every new piece of medicore gear that surfaces every four months that keeps these clueless companies in business, save up and get the real deal. Buy a small collection of very good mics, and make really good music. You can't skimp at the source and become successful at anything or any endeavor in life. In this business especially, where “at the source” means the mic. The mic is what captures the source. Obvious? Obviously not apparently. The source does not seem to hold much importance in this forum. The gadgets do.

You can spend all your money on soft synths and software programs that sound like this amp and that amp, but it will never replace a good mic in front of a 4x12 Marshall Cab pushing air. You can play make believe electronica music for the rest of you lives and be Madonna-Brittany-cRAP inspired electronica loop producer dweebs, (who now have their own cottage industry on youtube and elsewhere offering audio engineering courses to teach you how to become as clueless as they are) and post your music on Youtube or Yourspace or YourAss and minions will listen, and at the end of the day will comment and blog how wonderfully brilliant it sounds, and will want to know your advanced synthesis recording techniques, and its still the same crappola everybody else is doing with a laptop, a set of converters, a digi 002 or 003, and a host of plugs that you suffered and labored for over for months asking a million questions about endlessly non-important issues until you bought exactly what everybody else is using.

Its a moronic herd mentality that exists here at gearslutz and elsewhere all over the Internet in every other geek forum. It keeps these companies in business, and actually encourages them to keep making more stupid **** to take and display at the next NAMM show.

Take a dive into the unknown and get hold of some Senn MKH80s/or 800s and set a pair up in OMNI mode and record some overheads and see what happens. Rent or borrow some Schoepps CMC5s and record some acoustic guitar thru some neve 1073s or 3124s,

(heres a great example: YouTube - Whitefall - Roberto Fazari - CCR®)

or a a Neumann U67 and record a jazz vocalist or drum jazz overheads, or a U87 and capture a Sammy Hagar wannabe rock screamer ... Capture the source! Ribbons huh? I use 121s exclusively, not because I care to waste any time comparing Dave’s to any others, its just because he knows what he's doing for quite some time and he set a very high standard for others to follow, and I need to go no further on a guitar cab or acoustic piano. But I will also use a U87 on the same cab, and a 421, and a 57 and two RE20s in stereo distant, and mix them on the desk together until my ear candy is satisfied.

Who said it is cheap? Who said there are shortcuts? Yes there are, but not really qualitative ones. Just quantitative digititis ones. And forget that Antares mic modeling crappola too ROFL...

Is it real or Memorex? Is it real or software genereated?

Is it thickerer or chewier?

Don’t skimp the source. Be a winner and innovator and not a loser ...
These companies' survival are depending on you to remain in the latter crowd

Buy once and buy right.

~skygod~
I feel the need to respond to this, even though it's 3 years old!

I'm currently trying out a Woodpecker against a Royer 121. I haven't recorded enough yet to reach any conclusions, but as I found this thread today (31 May 2011), it's fair to assume that others may also come to it again at some point and I really hope their decisions aren't too influenced by skygod.

Whilst you make some very good points about using quality equipment and using it correctly (and I don't disagree with your equipment recommendations), the implication is that every manufacturer should pack up shop and stop trying to create anything new. Aren't you perpetuating the exact same herd mentality by saying, buy a 121 and don't consider anything else unless you're a loser? I actually asked my dealer for the 121, as I've been told it's fantastic, but he's also lent me some other things to compare it to. In a few brief tests, the Woodpecker sounds great. Maybe not 'better' than the 121 (whatever that means), but I can't believe that a decent artist would fail to make a great album purely because they had this mic and not a 121.

Although you clearly know your gear, your obvious contempt for electronic and/or pop music really weakens your argument for me. This is modern music, like it or not. Not all electronically created music is the same, just as all distorted guitars are not the same. Not even all Britney records are the same! To lump the bad stuff in with the astonishingly amazing stuff (I'm not including Britney here) is the sort of thing I'd expect my granny to say. In my opinion you're either a fan of music, or you're not - how it's made and what instruments have been used to make it are irrelevant.

Gearslutz ought to be a place to come and find out what people think of the gear that's out there, otherwise what is it for? Yes, by all means try to educate the younger generation about the benefits of quality equipment and clean signal paths, but there's no need to rant on about how the music they make is no good (actually a lot of them seemed to be miking up guitars), nor call them losers for being interested in new gear. They wouldn't be here asking questions if they knew all the answers. I've been in the business for 25 years and I hardly know any of the answers.

Apologies for my own rant. Nothing personal.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0013 View Post
I feel the need to respond to this, even though it's 3 years old!

I'm currently trying out a Woodpecker against a Royer 121. I haven't recorded enough yet to reach any conclusions, but as I found this thread today (31 May 2011), it's fair to assume that others may also come to it again at some point and I really hope their decisions aren't too influenced by skygod.

Whilst you make some very good points about using quality equipment and using it correctly (and I don't disagree with your equipment recommendations), the implication is that every manufacturer should pack up shop and stop trying to create anything new. Aren't you perpetuating the exact same herd mentality by saying, buy a 121 and don't consider anything else unless you're a loser? I actually asked my dealer for the 121, as I've been told it's fantastic, but he's also lent me some other things to compare it to. In a few brief tests, the Woodpecker sounds great. Maybe not 'better' than the 121 (whatever that means), but I can't believe that a decent artist would fail to make a great album purely because they had this mic and not a 121.

Although you clearly know your gear, your obvious contempt for electronic and/or pop music really weakens your argument for me. This is modern music, like it or not. Not all electronically created music is the same, just as all distorted guitars are not the same. Not even all Britney records are the same! To lump the bad stuff in with the astonishingly amazing stuff (I'm not including Britney here) is the sort of thing I'd expect my granny to say. In my opinion you're either a fan of music, or you're not - how it's made and what instruments have been used to make it are irrelevant.

Gearslutz ought to be a place to come and find out what people think of the gear that's out there, otherwise what is it for? Yes, by all means try to educate the younger generation about the benefits of quality equipment and clean signal paths, but there's no need to rant on about how the music they make is no good (actually a lot of them seemed to be miking up guitars), nor call them losers for being interested in new gear. They wouldn't be here asking questions if they knew all the answers. I've been in the business for 25 years and I hardly know any of the answers.

Apologies for my own rant. Nothing personal.
I think I would take his comments in context and the fact that he probably was relating the gear interested thread starter based on why that individual was inquiring about the mic. I agree with your statements though, music is a very subjective art form and some times "low end" equipment is all that is needed to capture what the artist intends. However, the low end should and could be a nice contrast with very high end gear. One example I can think of is that i have an aphex 107 "tube essence" mic pre. to say the least its low end, but once in a very blue moon I will use it on something that I want to have a grainy lo fi texture to. Something like that can be nice when panned in mono against a very smooth background arrangement.

I also have the woodpecker, love the mic, sounds great on everything from room to vocals
Old 1st June 2011
The woodpecker is an active ribbon mic. The ribbon feeds a small step up transformer and then hits a 2SA970 transistor. There is an EQ boost built in, that's the source of that hyped top end and the hiss you hear up there.

Interested users can lower the noise a bit by replacing the transistor with a lower noise unit like the 2SA1084 or 2SA1316. If you want the natural ribbon top end, remove the green box Wima 3300 pf cap. Those two changes will lower that hiss quite a bit making this mic more usable in quiet situations. It also lets the user select the frequency and amount of top boost EQ added, if any.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 View Post
I think I would take his comments in context and the fact that he probably was relating the gear interested thread starter based on why that individual was inquiring about the mic. I agree with your statements though, music is a very subjective art form and some times "low end" equipment is all that is needed to capture what the artist intends. However, the low end should and could be a nice contrast with very high end gear. One example I can think of is that i have an aphex 107 "tube essence" mic pre. to say the least its low end, but once in a very blue moon I will use it on something that I want to have a grainy lo fi texture to. Something like that can be nice when panned in mono against a very smooth background arrangement.

I also have the woodpecker, love the mic, sounds great on everything from room to vocals
Fair point! I did a few recordings of trumpet today - I'm embarrassed to say I found the Royer a bit 'dull' and lifeless in comparison to the Woodpecker. I wonder if I'm suffering from 'loudness button' syndrome... I've never used a ribbon before, so I'm not sure if I just want it to sound like a condenser? I'm waiting to take delivery of an M149, so I can't compare it to that yet. Btw, the mics are going through a Neve 1073 in a Lunchbox and I had to use an online pad on the Woodpecker.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The woodpecker is an active ribbon mic. The ribbon feeds a small step up transformer and then hits a 2SA970 transistor. There is an EQ boost built in, that's the source of that hyped top end and the hiss you hear up there.

Interested users can lower the noise a bit by replacing the transistor with a lower noise unit like the 2SA1084 or 2SA1316. If you want the natural ribbon top end, remove the green box Wima 3300 pf cap. Those two changes will lower that hiss quite a bit making this mic more usable in quiet situations. It also lets the user select the frequency and amount of top boost EQ added, if any.
Great tip and explains a lot, many thanks Jim.
Old 2nd June 2011
Here for the gear

Blue Woodpecker

I found for me personally, when I sing into the Woodpecker my pitch is always more accurate. It sounds nice and possibly the detail gives me better pitch information in my headphones.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0013 View Post
Fair point! I did a few recordings of trumpet today - I'm embarrassed to say I found the Royer a bit 'dull' and lifeless in comparison to the Woodpecker. I wonder if I'm suffering from 'loudness button' syndrome... I've never used a ribbon before, so I'm not sure if I just want it to sound like a condenser? I'm waiting to take delivery of an M149, so I can't compare it to that yet. Btw, the mics are going through a Neve 1073 in a Lunchbox and I had to use an online pad on the Woodpecker.
Yea, I used the woodpecker through a UA 6176 and had use the pad as well. I find that I like it best as a drum room mic, spacious but detailed
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Great mic on acoustic guitar! Strumming about a foot away sounds perfect
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear
bump, can someone please post vocals recorded with the blue woodpecker?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search