The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solo 610 for a Great River ME-1NV? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd July 2007
Gear Head

Solo 610 for a Great River ME-1NV?

Hi,

I realize there have been countless threads on this preamp, but I'm curious...
I have a UA Solo 610, and it's served me well. But...
I also just purchased an SM7B, and am realizing that this puppy needs some more gain.

From the pre we're going out to a Distressor and (eek!) an MBox 2.
I can make up the gain on the Distressor, but I'd like to be able to have ample gain right off the bat.
Also, I make a mess out of gear that's not rackmountable.

Just want to know if anyone can give me their experience with the Great River. I realize these two pres are different flavors but am just looking for some true-life stories from ME-1NV owners.

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

I hate the way SM7's sound through 610's. The GR stuff is cool but I might opt for an API 3124.
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Here's my $.02. I've used both, but the GR much more frequently. (I own one.)

I'd say this is a no-brainer, as the GR is, in my opinion, a much more versatile (and better) pre-amp. It does everything—fairly-clean to fairly-colored—very well. It's got plenty of gain, works great with all kinds of mics (ribbons, included), offers useful switches for impedance and transformer loading.

I can go to it for just about anything and make that source work. I think you'd be quite happy for it as a substitute for the UA.

My "go-to" chain these days on a variety of sources when tracking is GR -> MC-77 -> A/D, for what it's worth.

Best of luck!
Old 23rd July 2007
500 series nutjob

i have a LA-610 here and i also have a great river MN-500NV.
i would say hand down the great river!
here is a review / interview.

Great River MP-500NV and Dan

give it a read
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

I owned the 610 and now have the GR and the GR kills the 610.....JMHO

TH
Old 23rd July 2007
+1 for the GR. It's incredibly versatile. I use it regularly on vox, guitars and overheads. the hi-z is very useable for bass.
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Hows the great river with handclaps, tamborine ect. (hand percussion)? Also can the GR match the warmth of the 610 for vocals?
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Head

Thank you all for your input. I really like what I've been hearing about the ME-1NV.
It seems to be a more versatile preamp while not costing that much more...
I really like the flavor of the 610, it's just not very versatile.
I'll probably end up getting an LA610 to replace it for that warm mush that really doesn't work with the SM7B but works well with my brighter mics.

I think I know what I must do.
Time to save up and get a GR.
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Pacifica, Great River ME-1NV, 2 Solo 610's and an LA 610. Off them, I think that the UA stuff is better on Bass and Acoustic than the others. If could only have one and had to pick between a Solo 610 and a Great River, it would be the Great River. It's not an easy decision, because I love the 610 sound. You should own both. I'm actually selling my Solo 610's, keeping the LA610 for that UA flavor and buying another Great River. I have to say though, everyday when I type "Bump"; I come close to hitting delete. Maybe they won't sell and I'll keep them. Actually, you just made my mind up, I'm keeping them. Off to the classifieds to delete.
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Well I'll tell you, I like my GR ME1NV but I am in the market for a new color.

So off to the classifeds to post it FS....

Anyone interested email [email protected]
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Well I'll tell you, I like my GR ME1NV but I am in the market for a new color.

So off to the classifeds to post it FS....

Anyone interested email [email protected]
Just curious, what are you looking in to buying?
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I'm actually selling my Solo 610's, keeping the LA610 for that UA flavor and buying another Great River. I have to say though, everyday when I type "Bump"; I come close to hitting delete. Maybe they won't sell and I'll keep them. Actually, you just made my mind up, I'm keeping them. Off to the classifieds to delete.
Yeah, I think step one is trading up to the LA610. Then step two is going to be the Great River.
I am also of the opinion that bass sounds great through the 610.
Glad you're keeping 'em...
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Solo 610 sounds great on bass and acoustic. I mix that with an Oktava for the neck sound through a Dav and it is lovely.

I think a 110 might be interesting anybody with experience with those?
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac
I'm going to reignite this thread because I have used the 610 and Great River together for almost ten years. I love them both, but I think my opinion is different than what most people say about these two preamps.

I actually prefer a pair of 610s on almost any stereo source like over a drum kit or stereo micing an acoustic guitar. The 610 is really great on bass guitar. The 610 is sometimes the perfect sound for kick and snare. There are a lot of times that I prefer the 610 for amplifiers.

The GreatRiver is usually better for vocals. I also really like it mono on certain acoustic instruments like a piano, acoustic guitar, violin, and upright bass. The Great River is sometimes great on guitar amps.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
Solo 610 sounds great on bass and acoustic. I mix that with an Oktava for the neck sound through a Dav and it is lovely.

I think a 110 might be interesting anybody with experience with those?
The 110 is a perfectly good, sterile preamp... I've bought two over the years and returned them...

Totally an opinion... Nothing scientific!!
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Head

I keep wanting to sell my Solo 610 but every so often it's exactly what I need on bass....otherwise I don't care for it too much.
Old 22nd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verman View Post
I keep wanting to sell my but every so often it's exactly what I need on bass....otherwise I don't care for it too much.
Most people sell them after they plug a the bass into the ME1NV
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut

Call me crazy, but I'd upgrade from that m box. you will hear more improvement from that than switching pre's. I know it's not as fun as a pre, but I remember when I pulled the trigger on converters and was shocked at the improvement.

With that said, I own a great river and it's awesome. Very versatile.
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCrock View Post
Call me crazy, but I'd upgrade from that m box. you will hear more improvement from that than switching pre's. I know it's not as fun as a pre, but I remember when I pulled the trigger on converters and was shocked at the improvement.

With that said, I own a great river and it's awesome. Very versatile.
It's not sexy or fun... But, ugh, so true!
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Most people sell them after they plug a the bass into the ME1NV
For bass DI, both the GR and the 610 sound good....I can't really get the same sound out of either pre...they impart a different character to the instrument.

As a DI the GR is really edgy and gritty and the 610 is round and fat. I like having them both, but most of the time I use the 610.

Its weird how much I like the 610s. Many folks on GS think it is cheaply put together....maybe it is, but I especially love how the 610 sounds with sdc's on acoustic guitar, overheads, and stereo applications. Its dark and rich texture can really compliment and bring out the best from a bright microphone in the digital domain.

I recently bought a Sebatron, but even that awesome pre doesn't do it for me like the 610 on a lot of instruments.

Last edited by trubadoor; 29th January 2016 at 04:44 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search