The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dds-4 tape Transfer to digital
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dds-4 tape Transfer to digital

Wasn’t sure what section to post this is but, I’m looking to transfer an album recorded on DDS-4 tape to digital for a client. Anyone familiar with this format and that can do this transfer?
Thanks 🙏
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IIRC the DDS tapes are DAT tapes for data drives. Would this tape have been used in a standard audio DAT recorder? If so, you can playback on a DAT machine for digital capture. We would use DDS tapes for audio if the price was better than audio DATs. I heard they were slightly better at data integrity, being tested for that. They were labelled in meters instead of run time, and were available in lengths that would record for longer than 2 hours, although I also heard that these were thinner and not handled properly in an audio DAT machine.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's a data storage format - you need a DDS4 drive or higher - a DAT recorder won't get you far. I still have my DDS drives and they're supposed to work but you'd have to ship the tapes to me which is way too cumbersome. I'm sure you can find someone locally
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where are you located? My client is in Miami. Btw how many tracks can you fit on these tapes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo ➡️
that's a data storage format - you need a DDS4 drive or higher - a DAT recorder won't get you far. I still have my DDS drives and they're supposed to work but you'd have to ship the tapes to me which is way too cumbersome. I'm sure you can find someone locally
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion ➡️
Where are you located? My client is in Miami. Btw how many tracks can you fit on these tapes?
regarding DDS you're not talking tracks you're talking about Gigabytes ... DDS4 = 4GB
I'm in Switzerland :D
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…