The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Static
Old 2nd November 2002
High End Moderator

Static

Is there a way to get rid of static in the control room? Now that the dryer seasons have started again, I get the occasional shock when touching equipment (maybe it's part of the gearslutz AA program heh ) I have a suspicion that it might be the Pergo flooring. Can the floor be "grounded" ?
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

I am keen to see the responses on this one, I also have Pergo.. and a ton of stactic this time of year, even with the humidifer running... I never suspected the floor though, interesting.
Old 2nd November 2002
Pure cotton socks?

Get a humidifier? - Geaorge Massenburg favors one at all time both in the CR & Live area.
Old 4th November 2002
One with big hooves

I doubt the Pergo is the problem. I was in a place that had it in the control room and I didn't have any static problems with it. It didn't wear all that well though and the owner said he wouldn't choose it again.
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

Static guard seems to work for me... and I got long hair AND kick my shoes off every now & again...
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

I get the same problem in the dryer months. The relative humidity in your studio is the culprit.

Humidifier is the best way to go. Static will disappear around 38% or 39% relative humidity. Keeping the studio around 45% is a good average for the gear as well as wooden instruments and humans. R-Shack has a pretty decent (and cheap) Digital Hygro/ Thermometer for keeping an eye on things.
Old 4th November 2002
member no 666

Static Guard usually works well... as does a humidifier... however, you need to be damn careful where you place the humidifier, and where you aim the humidifier. Sometimes a bucket of water tucked into a corner [where noone can trip over it] will work just fine... sometimes two buckets works even better.
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
... you need to be damn careful where you place the humidifier, and where you aim the humidifier.
Very true.

Quote:
Sometimes a bucket of water tucked into a corner [where noone can trip over it] will work just fine... sometimes two buckets works even better.
I tried this before I got the humidifier. I found it had limited affect unless I placed a fan blowing across the top face of the bucket evaporating the water quicker. It does work, just not as easily controled as a humidifier.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search