The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PSI monitors
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
Hi all. I’m looking for a nearfield speaker for mixing as I have midfields. Im looking at the PSI A14/17, Neumann KH 80/120 and Quested S6R/S7R.

I do mostly orchestral stuff, ... I use very very light compression to retain the realism so speakers that provide good compression detail is also a major plus. Sorry if this is too much, but thank you
PSI A14 will not work IMO.
They are just too small for something orchestral without filtered bass and better suited for something vocal/multichannel.
For example, 85-90 [email protected] from pair with some tight metal CD obviously smears midbass/lower midrange. I don't know, maybe if you cut off everything below 100 hz, they will work well, but standart fullrange tutti might overload them and you'll lose clarity.
Maybe you should audition A17. They have much better THD values in bass with same SPL according to graphs (and IMD, i think).
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

I'm shooting out PSI A21m's against a pair of Amphion One18s right now in my studio. So far, it's actually a closer fight than I expected, and every time I want to say the Amphions don't have enough bass, I go back to them and realize I can hear more than I thought. In comparison, it's as if the Amphions have more of an 'upper mid' focus, and the vocals and strings seem to jump a bit forward in the mix.

I was actually leaning toward the Amphions for a bit, but then I go back to the PSI's and I hear a more solid bottom end, and a somewhat sparkly top - not as smooth as the Amphions in my room, but definitely more fun. Is it worth the extra $$$? I'm still trying to decide. But at least I'm convinced that either of these speaker models is a big step up from my first generation Dynaudio BM6's which I've had for about 15 years.

Lastly, I'm going to compare them to the Neumann KH310s' which I really enjoyed the first time I heard them. But can they stand up to the PSI's? Hmmmm.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I'm shooting out PSI A21m's against a pair of Amphion One18s right now in my studio. So far, it's actually a closer fight than I expected, and every time I want to say the Amphions don't have enough bass, I go back to them and realize I can hear more than I thought. In comparison, it's as if the Amphions have more of an 'upper mid' focus, and the vocals and strings seem to jump a bit forward in the mix.

I was actually leaning toward the Amphions for a bit, but then I go back to the PSI's and I hear a more solid bottom end, and a somewhat sparkly top - not as smooth as the Amphions in my room, but definitely more fun. Is it worth the extra $$$? I'm still trying to decide. But at least I'm convinced that either of these speaker models is a big step up from my first generation Dynaudio BM6's which I've had for about 15 years.

Lastly, I'm going to compare them to the Neumann KH310s' which I really enjoyed the first time I heard them. But can they stand up to the PSI's? Hmmmm.
All of them are a big step up from those Dyns. I went from BM6A MK1 to PSI A21M myself
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

I have both Amphion Two15s and PSI A21s on my meter bridge now. The A21s get the lion's share of the use. I like the openness of the Amphion's mids, but in my space the overall balance and musicality of the A21 is clearly more what I need; plus, the PSIs are obviously way more robustly constructed.

I'll probably sell the Two15s and maybe put a pair of One15s up there as a second set.

dB
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

The three contenders...

Gotta say that I really enjoy each of these speakers and could definitely make solid mixes on any of'em. The Amphions have such a clear and 'forensic' midrange that they shine on acoustic material or old jazz. But the added 'weight' of the bottom end on the PSI's and Neumanns really comes in handy for rock, funk, R&B etc.

For my tastes and my music, that makes it a fight between the PSI's and Neumanns. It's a close match, to my ears, and the Neumanns are a couple grand cheaper. But those PSIs' just feel right to me... AND the red looks cool in my room. I know some folks would add a sub to any of these, but for my uses that would be overkill. All of these have more bottom end than my BM6's, and there's just no way I'm gonna spend even more for that last 20 hertz...

Either way, it's been plenty of fun listening to my favourite music on these - and as much good work as I've done on my Dynaudios over the last 15 years, their days are clearly numbered!
Attached Thumbnails
PSI monitors-img_5861.jpg  
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

I listened to the following Sample on a21m and Neumanns, side by side. The difference is in impact and Detail of the ehm, bat..
Nowhere on Neumann. PSI clearly was favorite to me.

http://ed2.elusivedisc.net/audioclips/mangercd/01.mp3

Mp3 but i send you the wave if you want me to.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoloco View Post
I listened to the following Sample on a21m and Neumanns, side by side. The difference is in impact and Detail of the ehm, bat..
Nowhere on Neumann. PSI clearly was favorite to me.

http://ed2.elusivedisc.net/audioclips/mangercd/01.mp3

Mp3 but i send you the wave if you want me to.
I don't recognize this song, but the melody rings a few bells...

Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Means no. No prob
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does anyone else's A17 pop when turning off? For some reason, only one of mine does it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search