The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I NEED a Bricasti???
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
You're welcome. I intentionally made it wetter so that you could better hear the character of the Bricasti. If you need another sample or different patch, let me know.
Yeah, thanks again - much appreciated!

And maybe it's a useful example for other people reading this thread too, so I'll include it here as a SoundCloud clip for convenient listening:

(Sample clip courtesy of @ voodoo4u )

I realise that my own sample clip had the reverb set at a fairly low 'mix level' rather than solo level 'front-and-centre'; the latter probably being better for the purposes of a comparison test.

But it's all good.

PS Can you just confirm the decay time was set to 2.5s in the Large Hall setting you used on the Bricasti?

Last edited by James Lehmann; 2 weeks ago at 10:07 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 9d8db46
I'm curious if Voodoo's clip was mono into the Bricasti, stereo out? Or what routing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
No point in starting a new thread, so with a nod of appreciation to the OP...

Do I also need a Bricasti?

I work very much in the same jazz/acoustic idiom as the OP so to help me make up my mind (or make up my mind for me!) I am posting here a clip of a dry Saxophone recording I'm currently mixing. If anyone has the time to run this clip through a Bricasti and post the results it would be much appreciated (and probably not just by me).

24/48k WAVs are attached below.

I'm providing these SoundCloud clips just for convenient 'in-thread' listening purposes.
(Soundcloud doesn't allow mono files but the original dry WAV is indeed mono).

Here's the dry sound:

And here is the kind of 'space' I'd like the Sax in done with my current 'go-to' reverb (doesn't matter what it is for now) - this is actually two reverbs on two Auxes, a short room ambience and a 2.5s Hall. (I assume the Bricasti can do 2 x parallel like most high-end reverbs.)

If you are kind enough to tackle this, please resist the temptation to 'mix' it and refrain from adding any other processing apart from the reverb - no EQ, comp, NR, RX or anything else otherwise it's simply not a level playing field; I'm sure your mixing chops are top-dollar but that's not what I want to hear just now. Obviously you will have to solo the track through your analog desk - please set everything to unity as I have done on my Soundcraft DLX and judge the wet/dry by ear with my clip.

What I'd like to know – with reference to some material I am actually working on – is whether €3,500 of reverb will leave my jaw on the floor? It would be a big investment for a little guy like me, but if the sound is there...

I have left peak level at a healthy -10dBfs for you, both in the original file and the stereo example.

Thanks a lot in advance - I hope this might be a fun and interesting exercise.

James

PS By all means if you have something else you think could be comparable to a Bricasti post away (TC, Lexicon etc), but please stick to hardware as I mix only through an analog desk.
yes you need one everyone needs one, and then you want another one. And when you get it try the V2 Rich Plate, it's beautiful on sax, vocals, strings, drums.
AB3
Lives for gear
Finally, a definitive answer that ends this thread. The answer is YES.

Now on to other things we must have.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, thanks again - much appreciated!

And maybe it's a useful example for other people reading this thread too, so I'll include it here as a SoundCloud clip for convenient listening:

(Sample clip courtesy of @ voodoo4u )

I realise that my own sample clip had the reverb set at a fairly low 'mix level' rather than solo level 'front-and-centre'; the latter probably being better for the purposes of a comparison test.

But it's all good.

PS Can you just confirm the decay time was set to 2.5s in the Large Hall setting you used on the Bricasti?
It seems the default decay time is 2.2 seconds.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9d8db46 View Post
I'm curious if Voodoo's clip was mono into the Bricasti, stereo out? Or what routing?
In this clip, I actually used two separate mono busses into the Bricasti with the default set to stereo in. If you want to hear mono in stereo out let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
Here ya go. No extra processing, just sax at unity and some Bricasti Large Hall. And yeah, you need one.
Damn! That was a very expensive demo, and not just for James.
Lives for gear

For those with 2 Bricastis, how are you utilizing both? Got my first one last week and already thinking of a second.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
For those with 2 Bricastis, how are you utilizing both? Got my first one last week and already thinking of a second.
Needs a separate thread - "Do I need TWO Bricastis?"
Lives for gear

I have one. I need TWO MORE
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
I have one. I need TWO MORE
Yeah, totally agree. Before you buy your first one you should always make sure that you set aside at least an extra $4000 because you’re gonna need it… they really are THAT good.
Lives for gear

i had an m7 but sold it after ca. 1 year as it simply did not occupy a unique slot between all the other efx devices.
for flexibility, i much rather use various devices from different manufacturers than several engines from the same manufacturer - besides, there wasn't ever any word on surround...
Lives for gear

Probably as much as I need a mutec REF10
Lives for gear

Well, I am of course doomed to fail, but I have made an attempt with the dry Sax WAV I supplied a few posts back to get somewhere in the ballpark of the very nice @ voodoo4u Bricasti version with my humble TC M3000:

Now, I might get away with that in a busy pop mix, but with a solo acoustic instrument front & centre like this... close but no cigar.

Some might say not even close and not even a cigarette.

I'd give myself a B+ for effort (I could spend even more time than I did honing the M3000 parameters in Expert Mode, if only menu-diving was more fun), but I'd probably be awarded a D on the final assignment - I just can't get the sax to 'sit', 'bloom' and 'hang' in the space the way it does with the Bricasti.

It's a beautiful thing. I can see why people gush forth about their M7s like Gollum and his precious Ring.

Unfortunately – much like Gollum – I can't quite see how I can acquire one for keeps in the current climate.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 2 weeks ago at 12:43 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

I had 2 Bricastis - sold both - kept My M3000 and the Quantec Yardstick.

Bricasti is beautiful but it is not the final word in Reverb.

M3000 is SO underrated - use it in digital mode and programs the dam thing...

I've done A/B tests with CLIENTS.....7:3 preferred the TC over the Bricasti.

When Version 3 finally sees the day of light, I will purchase another one and see what's good, but I feel like the Bricasti has taken on a the level of a mint vintage 47.

A Quantec can do 100 seconds of tail.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
I bought one recently. Then the day it arrived I bought another

I write electronic music, and as soon as I heard the M7 in real life I realised I wanted (needed?) a short and long bricasti reverb. So I'll use some of the amazing ambience settings for use on drums and tight hits, and then various plates for space on synths and the like.

Obviously not limited to that, but that's my typical use-case.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The bricasti is the most overrated piece of crud.
Deleted 9d8db46
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
The bricasti is the most overrated piece of crud.
Oooooookayy . . . what reverb machine DO you like?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9d8db46 View Post
Oooooookayy . . . what reverb machine DO you like?
I prefer not to name names. The one I like isn't so popular. But sound is more important than reputation in my book so I don't really care
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I am of course doomed to fail, but I have made an attempt with the dry Sax WAV I supplied a few posts back to get somewhere in the ballpark of the very nice @ voodoo4u Bricasti version with my humble TC M3000:

Now, I might get away with that in a busy pop mix, but with a solo acoustic instrument front & centre like this... close but no cigar.

Some might say not even close and not even a cigarette.

I'd give myself a B+ for effort (I could spend even more time than I did honing the M3000 parameters in Expert Mode, if only menu-diving was more fun), but I'd probably be awarded a D on the final assignment - I just can't get the sax to 'sit', 'bloom' and 'hang' in the space the way it does with the Bricasti.

It's a beautiful thing. I can see why people gush forth about their M7s like Gollum and his precious Ring.

Unfortunately – much like Gollum – I can't quite see how I can acquire one for keeps in the current climate.

The M7 really shines here I think. More depth. I dont think its close and it almost sounds like a different recording/mic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh wow - thanks so much for doing this!

Turns out I do need a Bricasti after all!

Your sample clip was much wetter than my example, but it hardly matters - the point is that the Bricasti sounds so incredibly smooth on that Sax!

I am now going to tweak the various reverbs I have available here to see if I can in any sense get a bit closer in sound to your clip. I am sure I shall fail.

Might be time for a "Dear Santa, I've been good this year, etc..." type letter already.

If you want less reverb just mix it with your dry track to taste. That's what I do normally when using my M7.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I just was never that impressed by them. I like reverbs with a character. Loved the Midiverb II. I think I would buy a Quantec or Lexicon 300L before a Bricasti right now.
Deleted 9d8db46
Quote:
I prefer not to name names. The one I like isn't so popular. But sound is more important than reputation in my book so I don't really care
I don't have a horse in this race, but I think it's funny that you post in a thread about the M7 and dump on it, then won't tell us what you think sounds better.
But thanks for your opinion. I guess.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, but I think it's funny that you post in a thread about the M7 and dump on it, then won't tell us what you think sounds better.
Right cuz I'm not gonna make it political, the bricasti wins in a game of politics, we see that. But some ppl actually are looking for gear that Gives them the sound they want, when all the bricasti gives you is bragging rights on an Internet forum.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Right cuz I'm not gonna make it political, the bricasti wins in a game of politics, we see that. But some ppl actually are looking for gear that Gives them the sound they want, when all the bricasti gives you is bragging rights on an Internet forum.
WTF are you talking about? We are talking about high end and classic reverbs...
Lives for gear
Quote:

How absurd!I couldn't care less about bragging rights on forums. Nothing could bore me. I just love Bricasti. I suspect everyone who love it is the same.
Lives for gear

this dude is a troll and ruins far too many threads!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I just was never that impressed by them. I like reverbs with a character. Loved the Midiverb II. I think I would buy a Quantec or Lexicon 300L before a Bricasti right now.
To my ears Bricasti absolutely has a character?! We have an M7 and the Seventh Heaven pro plugins. Such great sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
I had 2 Bricastis - sold both - kept My M3000 and the Quantec Yardstick.

Bricasti is beautiful but it is not the final word in Reverb.

M3000 is SO underrated - use it in digital mode and programs the dam thing...

I've done A/B tests with CLIENTS.....7:3 preferred the TC over the Bricasti.

When Version 3 finally sees the day of light, I will purchase another one and see what's good, but I feel like the Bricasti has taken on a the level of a mint vintage 47.

A Quantec can do 100 seconds of tail.........
Don't know the Quantec but I owned an M3000, and Bricasti and KSP8 and bunch of other verbs I don't know what you used on the Bricasti, I have to completely disagree with you, the M3000 doesn't hold a candle to the M7, it's not even close. Neither does it's bigger brother the R4000, which I replaced the M3000 with. I remember when I got my Bricasti I was almost done mixing a classical record Violin and Piano, I had used up to then the R4000 on the violin. I had one more song to mix, on that I used the Bricasti. The client had me call back the other mixes and replace the R4000 with the M7. I used the Amsterdam Hall patch on both. When I get my second Bricasti the first thing I will sell will be the R4000.

* I had to update this because I had a senior moment and completely forgot the the TC Verb I now own is the R4000 which I bought to replace M3000, the R4000 is a much better sounding verb than the M3000 being one stereo engine of the TC 6000, and yet that didn't cut it next to the Bricasti!

Last edited by Musiclab; 1 week ago at 05:56 PM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Never feed a troll.
📝 Reply