The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH310A vs. Amphion One18
Old 9th August 2020
  #1
Neumann KH310A vs. Amphion One18

there’s a thread on here with a very similar title, but it’s a couple years old and I wanted to see if anyone’s had the chance to compare these monitors since that was posted.

I’ve used KH310A’s before and really like them. I think they sound pretty honest, which is what I really go for. Never heard Amphions at all, but obviously they were pretty hyped on forums for a few years, and I know a few people who use them.

Obviously my room plays a big factor, but if anyone could share some info on how these compare next to each other, that’d be great.
Old 10th August 2020
  #2
The Neumann is a 3 way monitor that will provide more detailed information than the two way One 18. The One 18 however is very flat and a great monitor.
Old 10th August 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
RedBaaron's Avatar
Haven't owned Neumanns, but I'm sporting a pair of 18 Ones here and also found them to be "very honest" as well as detailed. The stereo imaging seems to be on-point and something special. I've found mixes I've done on them to translate perfectly across devices, which is the important thing for me. I have much bigger speakers that have some "sweetness" in the highs or lows, which is nice for listening, but not appropriate for critical mixing applications.

I doubt you'd be displeased with either item, really. Be sure to break them in well first if you go with the Amphions.
Old 11th August 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
Haven't owned Neumanns, but I'm sporting a pair of 18 Ones here and also found them to be "very honest" as well as detailed. The stereo imaging seems to be on-point and something special. I've found mixes I've done on them to translate perfectly across devices, which is the important thing for me. I have much bigger speakers that have some "sweetness" in the highs or lows, which is nice for listening, but not appropriate for critical mixing applications.

I doubt you'd be displeased with either item, really. Be sure to break them in well first if you go with the Amphions.
I appreciate the reply.

I already have NS10’s and was thinking the Neumann’s might be a better speaker to use alongside NS10s - as I’ve read in places that the Amphions might have the same sort of detailed midrange. Do you think the Amphions would be fine alongside NS10s? They don’t do a similar thing?
Old 11th August 2020
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
The Neumann is a 3 way monitor that will provide more detailed information than the two way One 18. The One 18 however is very flat and a great monitor.
Yeah, I know the KH310A’s are 3 way. These are being compared due to their price in the UK being very similar. I also feel like some modern 2 way designs are as good as some 3 way designs.
Old 12th August 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
RedBaaron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnagogue View Post
I appreciate the reply.

I already have NS10’s and was thinking the Neumann’s might be a better speaker to use alongside NS10s - as I’ve read in places that the Amphions might have the same sort of detailed midrange. Do you think the Amphions would be fine alongside NS10s? They don’t do a similar thing?
I don't have any NS10s onsite, but from my recollection they seemed like a different beast -- more of a presence boost and lows roll-off. Don't get me wrong; no monitor is truly "flat," but the Amphion One 18's seem a little more so than the NS10. The (cliche) adjectives that come to mind are "smooth" and "realistic." Jim Alfredson said it better:

"The mid-range is tight and focused and much more ‘real’. It’s like you can peer right into it.
The high-end is airy and not harsh. I could listen to these speakers for hours without fatigue.
The imaging is sharp and defined with pinpoint accuracy and depth.
The music seems to just float in space."

I can vouch for the accuracy of each of those statements.With the right mix approach, I can make it seem like the sound is coming out of my computer screen right in front of me, not back behind me and to the sides where I have them. It's just like he says: the monitors seem to disappear and you're just right there inside the source of the sound.

Once I put them up, I never really use anything else to mix. That's not to say there aren't a lot of good competitors; the One 18's just do the job.
Old 12th August 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Aren’t they hugely different price points once you factor an amp with the Amphions?

I have not used Amphions, but I do have the KH310s and NS10s in an imperfect room. I’m pleased with the purchase, and enjoying the combo. The Neumanns sound clear, but the switch to NS10 is extra clear.
Old 12th August 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

The Neumanns are unbelievably great.

I honestly would love a pair in my living room to listen to vinyl for pleasure.

- c
Old 12th August 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnagogue View Post
I appreciate the reply.

I already have NS10’s and was thinking the Neumann’s might be a better speaker to use alongside NS10s - as I’ve read in places that the Amphions might have the same sort of detailed midrange. Do you think the Amphions would be fine alongside NS10s? They don’t do a similar thing?
In this case I’d go with the Neumann..
I’d probably go Neumann anyway, but since you have a second monitoring (ns10), the Neumann will give you a different picture that is complementary.

Plus you already heard them and you like them.. I’d go for them (unless you can afford a pair of ATC scm25, you might find them used for about 6k US $.. dunno in £).



Cheu
Old 12th August 2020
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
Aren’t they hugely different price points once you factor an amp with the Amphions?

I have not used Amphions, but I do have the KH310s and NS10s in an imperfect room. I’m pleased with the purchase, and enjoying the combo. The Neumanns sound clear, but the switch to NS10 is extra clear.
The One18’s with the Amp 100 is only £300ish more than the KH310A’s. I’d probably end up wanting the Amp 700 eventually though for headroom haha.
Old 12th August 2020
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
In this case I’d go with the Neumann..
I’d probably go Neumann anyway, but since you have a second monitoring (ns10), the Neumann will give you a different picture that is complementary.

Plus you already heard them and you like them.. I’d go for them (unless you can afford a pair of ATC scm25, you might find them used for about 6k US $.. dunno in £).



Cheu

that’s what i was thinking. they’re complimentary whereas i believe amphion still sorta has that microscope on the mids


i ****ing love atc’s but dislike the 25’s. but the the scm50asl’s are ridiculous
Old 12th August 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnagogue View Post
that’s what i was thinking. they’re complimentary whereas i believe amphion still sorta has that microscope on the mids


i ****ing love atc’s but dislike the 25’s. but the the scm50asl’s are ridiculous
I imagine matter of taste, but the 25’s are better than the 310 though, I’ve had them side by side in a room I know well.

Anyway, put whatever atc 3way you like, instead of the 25, in my sentence above

If budget or size doesn’t allow, then the kh310 (or even the kh420) are good monitors.
(the unknown KS Digital A200 or the Guzauski-Swift GS3 too).



Cheu
Old 13th August 2020
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnagogue View Post
Yeah, I know the KH310A’s are 3 way. These are being compared due to their price in the UK being very similar. I also feel like some modern 2 way designs are as good as some 3 way designs.
Very good 2 ways are close to some 3 way designs, but when the 3 way design is done very well like the Neumann's, they don't compare.
Old 13th August 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnagogue View Post
The One18’s with the Amp 100 is only £300ish more than the KH310A’s. I’d probably end up wanting the Amp 700 eventually though for headroom haha.
I wouldn't use the Amp 100 with the One 18. Gotta go Amp 700. Amphions love power and the One 18's never sounded like they had enough juice when I demoed them with the Amp 100.

I'll just say this about the KH310 and Amphions since I had both in my space...

The 310 are great but they are clinical. They go lower than the One18 but I'm not sure if it's more useful lows. Honestly, they didn't really have any vibe to them, per say, and presented the music very neutrally (which is a good thing to alot of people and for mixing). When I was demoing them, I didn't wake up saying "Man, I can't wait to get in the studio today to write on the 310."

The Amphions, for whatever reason, are vibier and more fun to write and mix music on. They're more inspiring to choose sounds and for blending textures. I went with the Amphion Two 15's and it's the best decision I've ever made in my room besides upgrading my converters.

If you have NS10's then maybe the 310 is the move since they're a proper 3 way and would give you a different perspective. If you didn't have the NS10, I'd say go Amphion all the way.
Old 13th August 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I imagine matter of taste, but the 25’s are better than the 310 though, I’ve had them side by side in a room I know well.

Anyway, put whatever atc 3way you like, instead of the 25, in my sentence above

If budget or size doesn’t allow, then the kh310 (or even the kh420) are good monitors.
(the unknown KS Digital A200 or the Guzauski-Swift GS3 too).



Cheu
I had the 310 and SCM25's in my space around the same time. I personally liked the 310's more, especially considering the price point vs the ATC.
Old 13th August 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Husky Squad's Avatar
Same here. kh310 and kh120 is hard to beat for mixing tasks. They are amazing, super flat and revealing. You can hear the slightest change in the eq and compression, reverb tails ect. But in my case, they uninspiring and boring for writing music. Every time I try to write music on them, I lose my inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post

The 310 are great but they are clinical. They go lower than the One18 but I'm not sure if it's more useful lows. Honestly, they didn't really have any vibe to them, per say, and presented the music very neutrally (which is a good thing to alot of people and for mixing). When I was demoing them, I didn't wake up saying "Man, I can't wait to get in the studio today to write on the 310."
Old 13th August 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I had the 310 and SCM25's in my space around the same time. I personally liked the 310's more, especially considering the price point vs the ATC.
In my opinion the 25’s are overall a tad clearer, mids are a little bit better and the lowend is less “clouded”, they let you work a little bit harder.. they show you things that the 310 kinda let “go”.

I found the 310 a little bit too “soft” for lack of better terms.

I positioned both in different ways in a top treated postprod room..and extensively A/B’d.. that’s what I’ve heard.

I prefer the 25’s between the two, I can trust the 25’s lowend more.
So it’s not only a matter if “taste”.

But I agree with you, for the money the 310 are nice monitors.
If you find a pair of 25’s in the used market, they’re worth the 2k more than the 310 imho.

Up from there is diminishing returns, and to go the next big step is more money on the loudspeakers AND correct soffit mount.

Integration with the room plays a big role, of course (as well as positioning).



Cheu
Old 14th August 2020
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I wouldn't use the Amp 100 with the One 18. Gotta go Amp 700. Amphions love power and the One 18's never sounded like they had enough juice when I demoed them with the Amp 100.

I'll just say this about the KH310 and Amphions since I had both in my space...

The 310 are great but they are clinical. They go lower than the One18 but I'm not sure if it's more useful lows. Honestly, they didn't really have any vibe to them, per say, and presented the music very neutrally (which is a good thing to alot of people and for mixing). When I was demoing them, I didn't wake up saying "Man, I can't wait to get in the studio today to write on the 310."

The Amphions, for whatever reason, are vibier and more fun to write and mix music on. They're more inspiring to choose sounds and for blending textures. I went with the Amphion Two 15's and it's the best decision I've ever made in my room besides upgrading my converters.

If you have NS10's then maybe the 310 is the move since they're a proper 3 way and would give you a different perspective. If you didn't have the NS10, I'd say go Amphion all the way.

Ah ****, The Amp 700 throws them out of my budget unfortunately.

The Neumann’s are definitely uninspiring to listen to. In the room I heard them in, they came across as boxy and boring. I started to like them when I heard my mixes translate from them.

I think that if I do get the Neumanns, I might also grab a set of cheap ass KRK’s or JBL’s or something down the line - they wouldn’t be used at all when mixing, but rather would be something that produce and write on.
Old 16th August 2020
  #19
Here for the gear
 

One thing nobody mentioned is how far you're going to be from the speakers...the KH310 really need to be at least 1.5m from your ears...they're not great at a metre or less...spend a stupid amount of time getting them perfectly level and at the same angle, height is very important, the acoustic axis is not the tweeter, but between the tweeter and midrange, so they end up being quite high, nearly level with the top of you head!...also follow nuemann's advice of having them practically touching the wall behind them...(all this is in the manual...it makes a huge difference)...I agree they would compliment the NS10s, they end up with a b&k curve in an average room with all dials set flat...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 636 views: 221064
Avatar for Rockzentrale
Rockzentrale 1 day ago
replies: 61 views: 7781
Avatar for H89
H89 31st March 2013
replies: 8124 views: 1246597
Avatar for zoom25
zoom25 15 hours ago
replies: 107 views: 9777
Avatar for dinococcus
dinococcus 24th March 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump