The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo x8p to Barefoot MM27 - Digital Output (AES) or Analog??
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Apollo x8p to Barefoot MM27 - Digital Output (AES) or Analog??

I just got my barefoots and I was curious as to how people send their audio signal to the barefoots, do they convert in the interface and send an analog signal, or send an unconverted digital signal and let the barefoots DAC handle it? Which is optimal?

If I opt for the digital path, what is the method of doing this from the apollo x8p. Do I use the SPDIF out with an AES cable connecting to the barefoots? Will I need an intermediary device for hands-on volume control?

I'm wondering if I even need an x8p now if my monitors are going to convert the signal to digital again and back to analog before outputting it no matter what? Should I consider returning the x8p and getting another piece of gear to serve a more specific role in my signal chain, knowing that my monitors simply need a digital signal?

Thank you
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Nut

You can go analog out of your interface if you choose the quick/simple path.

If you choose to go digital out, you’ll need an AES splitter box. I know Whirlwind makes one. It takes a stereo stream and splits it into left and right. On your Barefoots you’ll have to toggle a switch on the back to indicate which one is left or right.

If the interface doesn’t let you choose between SPDIF and AES output on the coax, you might need and additional box to do that.

Good luck!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

The x8p doesn’t have spdif, I’m not sure if you can do it somehow through ADAT.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Nut

The optical/adat out can carry stereo SPDIF. Hosa makes an optical to AES box (ODL-312.) From there it’s into the splitter box.

Level control would have to be done in the Apollo’s software mixer or the DAW if you go digital.

You could insert a monitor controller between monitors and interface if you go analog.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe1972 View Post
The optical/adat out can carry stereo SPDIF. Hosa makes an optical to AES box (ODL-312.) From there it’s into the splitter box.

Level control would have to be done in the Apollo’s software mixer or the DAW if you go digital.

You could insert a monitor controller between monitors and interface if you go analog.
Ya, at that point I would rather just go analog out.
📝 Reply