The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Studio Guys and Old Neve Consoles....
Old 15th August 2020
  #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
You use what you have. Those early recordings of The Beatles and Bob Dylan that were done with a cheap mic and an old tape recorder demonstrate that it's the talent and the performance that really matter, not the amount of money you have for bitchen new gear.

That said, it is probably a fair assumption to say that there is always something on the wish list for most studios in general, home or commercial, because nobody has every single piece of gear ever produced by every manufacturer. As such, every studio might be construed as "under capitalized" in the sense that no studio owner buys or even wants every piece of gear ever produced. It'd be a waste of money. Home and commercial studio owners make do with what they have at the moment, while steadily upgrading and acquiring new tools as their budget and needs allow. Being adequately capitalized doesn't mean having money to burn.

I do take your point about buying a 40-year-old console if you're expecting miracles and don't have the knowledge or skill to maintain it properly. I wouldn't waste my money on it for the same reason that I wouldn't buy an antique car. I don't know jack squat about cars and I absolutely hate working on them.
I agree, no matter what level you're at, then you should spend your money wisely.

There is this concept in economics/business called "opportunity cost":
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o...tunitycost.asp

I wished everyone (especially our politicians/leaders!) understood this and thought deeply about it.

Thus if we buy one piece of gear, we're forgoing the ability to buy something else that we're going to miss out on.
Old 15th August 2020
  #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
The disappointing thing about this thread to me is thinking about what it could have been versus what it is. One of my hobbies is sailing. You can go on the sailing forum and easily find budgets. Folks who bought old boats, fixed them up and sail them - many who live and cruise on them every day.

They go something like this - I bought this boat (brand, year and model) for $x, I did the following to get it ship shape and here's a list of those things and what each cost. I use the boat every day and here's my annual maintenance and I do a deeper dive/comprehensive maintenance every 5 years that cost me $x.

And then there's stories about specific projects that go something like this - Here's a detailed story about the electrical system overhaul I did (complete with pics), what approach I chose and why, what products I used, how much time it required, who did what, where I needed a tech, what I could do myself and what it cost.

Maybe I missed it but I've never seen anything like that on this forum.

How nice would it be for those thinking about a vintage consoles to have access to such detailed an actionable information. Even high-level budgets would be helpful.

But instead we get you vomiting up an incoherent rant about old consoles and home studios boarding on trolling. Thoughts so poorly framed we basically have to infer your intention from your rant. Filled with blanket assumption that are obviously right a lot and equally obviously wrong a lot depending on who's studio your talking about. And of course, zero actionable information.

The whole thread can be summed up as - "Restoring & Maintaining Vintage Consoles is Expensive." Thank You Captain Obvious!
I was in 100% agreement with you up until the last couple of paragraphs.

As sometimes the "obvious" is worth repeating over and over again. Otherwise, why do we have so many people buying vintage Ferrari cars on a Ford budget?
Old 15th August 2020
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Thus if we buy one piece of gear, we're forgoing the ability to buy something else that we're going to miss out on.
It amazes me people simply can’t grasp this simple concept.. like there is only so much of a resource that can yield X outcome.

In my day job supposedly exceptionally smart people can’t fathom why things can’t happen Cos they can’t rasp this simple concept. Fark me it’s not hard!
Old 15th August 2020
  #94
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
I was in 100% agreement with you up until the last couple of paragraphs.

As sometimes the "obvious" is worth repeating over and over again. Otherwise, why do we have so many people buying vintage Ferrari cars on a Ford budget?
That's Fair
Old 15th August 2020
  #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
The whole thread can be summed up as - "Restoring & Maintaining Vintage Consoles is Expensive." Thank You Captain Obvious!
And don't bother asking the OP for help, idiot home studio guy, because you ain't getting it from him!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #96
Gear Maniac
 
PAST's Avatar
 

I agree and also partly disagree with all of this

It has always been the case that many of the Vintage Neve consoles were owned by those who were 'clueless' about their inner workings

They used their EARS

They concentrated on playing their instruments...and other ****

Some of the worlds most amazing and successful music studios bought these consoles because they trusted fellow enthusiasts in audio to work with them for the 'art'

They did not worry about the capacitors any more than the Ferrari racing driver worries about the specification of the engine oil...they concentrate on driving

Music recording likewise encompasses a vast range of varied skills

There is more to this than meets the eye..especially the eye of the accountant
Old 3 weeks ago
  #97
My accountant in LA that does the music biz says the biz is f*cked right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
My accountant in LA that does the music biz says the biz is f*cked right now.
Has been for some time Jim!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #99
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Well, undercapitalized home studio guy,
How do you know the people buying these things aren't millionaires? Plenty of people do this for fun rather than trying to make a living. In fact the more "home" the studio is, the more likely the person is doing this with pocket change rather than business capital. Few rich people buy vanity car washes, where they do it for fun and don't care if they make a profit. Plenty of rich people, however, build vanity studios. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #100
Gear Maniac
 
PAST's Avatar
 

Wiggy is right

Most of the money in the vintage studio equipment world comes from outside of what we used to call the established Professional Audio Industry

This has been the case for years

In many ways it always did, as a means of a wise way to re-invest, wherever the money came from

Let's face it....even companies like EMI were military financed operations dabbling in music...but then music became almost equally profitable to their other 'operations'

Media control was vital to, dare I say, political aims....as much back then as it is now and music was a much larger contributor as video or computers were not for mainstream entertainment

Just a shame that it is no longer the case that music is as profitable as it used to be

However, it was never really 'right', or fair in any case

These days, I sometimes feel more like a specialist art restorer than a music production industry guy

I am not saying this is completely bad but it is true that a lot of my work becomes museum pieces

I would like to see more classic vintage gear making amazing music in a fair and fun community

It really IS down to money, because the will and enthusiasm is there....
Old 3 weeks ago
  #101
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
How do you know the people buying these things aren't millionaires? Plenty of people do this for fun rather than trying to make a living. In fact the more "home" the studio is, the more likely the person is doing this with pocket change rather than business capital. Few rich people buy vanity car washes, where they do it for fun and don't care if they make a profit. Plenty of rich people, however, build vanity studios. Nothing wrong with that.

I believe I said "Undercapitalized home studio guy"...

I did not say "Millionaire or Billionaire with plenty of disposable income"...

Because the latter will spend whatever it takes to get his vanity project in usable condition. Which is great...

The former cannot or will not. He will rely on the kindness of strangers on the internet. And ask me Via PM for free advice, schematics, contacts, parts etc. This is less than great. In fact, it sucks.

There are many,many, more of the former than the latter...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #102
Gear Maniac
 
PAST's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
I believe I said "Undercapitalized home studio guy"...

I did not say "Millionaire or Billionaire with plenty of disposable income"...

Because the latter will spend whatever it takes to get his vanity project in usable condition. Which is great...

The former cannot or will not. He will rely on the kindness of strangers on the internet. And ask me Via PM for free advice, schematics, contacts, parts etc. This is less than great. In fact, it sucks.

There are many,many, more of the former than the latter...
Yes, but everyone has to start somewhere

When I started it was like a studio internship

Living in a squalid, tiny, dark, cold, rented room in an old decrepit house in the UK

Basically, pay to play....

Do you plant trees?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #103
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAST View Post
Yes, but everyone has to start somewhere

When I started it was like a studio internship

Living in a squalid, tiny, dark, cold, rented room in an old decrepit house in the UK

Basically, pay to play....

Do you plant trees?
I DID/AM pay/paying to play...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #104
Gear Maniac
 
PAST's Avatar
 

Well...that is your choice...good choice...positive aim...live in the present....believe in the future....just like the Beatles....good luck!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 40237
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 2704 views: 392953
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
replies: 4852 views: 281054
Avatar for Coorec
Coorec 4 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump